Calcium Build Up in Neck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcfarm

Reaction score
I am maybe getting 3 geldings, one has dropped lots of weight and has had blood tests run etc. Went to see them yesterday and felt down the throat neck. He has a bump about half way down. Owner said caretaker said it is calcium build up. You can feel the bone part all the way down. I know alll 3 are wormy. The other 2 are not as skinny, but you can tell they some TLC.

Will I be in for a lot of heartache?

I am like let me get these guys out of here. Owner wants to come see my place No Promb there. have extra stalls and large area for turnout.

Just worried about this guys neck, thinking something more is going on with his neck.

Any Help Advise would help.

Thanks

Cant post pics as horse is not mine yet

This would be one of those times when a vet-check would be in order. "Calcium build-up" doesn't just happen, it could be associated with a bone disease, an injury, or arthritis; and I would think the neck would be the worst place for it to happen if it is going to become crippling.

I am hoping you aren't paying for these horses?

Hi The geldings are free. All drive 2 are a team of black and whites. The sorrel gelding with the neck promb is the 1 I am worried about. He has had blood tests run all came back neg for cushings, insulin thyroid. He did show aniemia which DUH is obvious. This vet is into homophaic medicine. They are feeding him chinese herbs and oatmeal, sometimes with milk. My feeding program would put him om some senior feed(Semoinole feed) soaked beet pulp, flax seed.

This might sound bad, but I dont want to take on a horse that needs extensive vet visits. Maybe equine hospital. The people are well off so they can afford the expense. She just wants to find a good home. A caretaker who she pays well have taken care of them for years. Not that great recently, as the condition they are in now shows. Back bones are showing on 2 , but sorrel is in worst shape.\

I am going to suggest she get x-rays on neck area. Hope she takes advice.

Horses are not in Ft Myers

I've seen something that sounds like this from a horse putting his neck through a pipe fence to eat...repeatedly. Eventually the bruising makes a permanent lump. But I do think I'd be wanting a vet to take a look at it. Maybe an ultrasound.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back