Buying sight unseen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
Would you do it?

I have a place that has come HIGHLY reccommended by people whom I feel would know well...but the place doesn't have any photos to share of the entire harness. Is this a red flag? I have never bought a harness before....and just want to make sure I only have to buy ONE!

Well respected by people I know who are avid drivers (not minis tho) but the lack of pictures makes me wonder? Maybe I'm just wayy off base here. But I can only afford to do it right the first time.

It depends

Is it new or used?

Is it a company or individual?

Can you return it if you don't like it?

What all is included (breeching, martingale, cavesson, bit)?

How much can you afford to lose?

New v. used - If it's new you will probably get what you pay for. If used, you might get a bargain. Might not.

Company v. individual - Both have to answer. Are they well known? Is this their business?

In general !!!! the higher the price, the more likely it is a quality product. HOWEVER, caveat emptor.

Typically breeching, martingale and cavesson are not included unless specified or asked for.

Don't expect a high quality bit unless you specifically order it.

My 2 cents
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my questions would be the same as those asked by Al B.

If this is an e-bay seller, I'd be leary; there are some e-bay harnesses that are very low priced, and that's about what they are worth--actually they are more like overpriced!

I'm personally not convinced by personal references any more. I bought a harness off of photos one time--sounded like a good harness for a decent price--when it arrived, the leather quality was okay, but instead of sewn, it was all riveted. Not my idea of well made harness at all. Still, some people don't agree with me apparently--I've seen/heard a number of people recommend these same harnesses. These are people that have bought the same harnesses, and they think it's a wonderful harness. I guess it's all in what you want.

Ask about where the harness was made--is it made in the US, or is it "imported"? "Imported" often means cheap cardboard-quality leather it seems.

Ask too about sizing. What size horse are you buying it for? Ask specifically what size range this harness will fit. The first harness I ordered was a "Mini harness". I bought it for a 35" gelding. Didn't have a hope that it would fit--it was tiny. When I called the store they checked with their supplier & found out this harness was recommended for 32" and under. Too bad that info wasn't in their catalogue!!

Well..I would check the return policy before I buy..and find out all about the harness..

Like our harnesses can be returned within 1 week
default_smile.png

Since we live down in New Zealand, and we have to buy a lot of our gear from USA, we come up against this problem too.

Fortunately for me, all the equipment I have bought from the States has been of exceptional quality. I bought 2 sets of harness from Mini Express, the first sight unseen, and the other while we were over there. Both sets are top quality and made to last. I can highly recommend them.

I would ask all the questions suggested above, and at the end of the day, you just have to make a call.

Good luck, I hope you get what you want. :bgrin

Thanks for the advice. It's not an Ebay seller, I have not heard very good stories about those "cheap" harnesses on Ebay. It is new. It is a business who sells them.

I don't know about the return policy, I guess that would be a great question to ask! But in ordering the harness I need to give measurements of my guy, so I'm wondering if they are custom made?

I am just looking for a harness for driving around home...nothing fancy, no showing...etc. It is a betathane harness, and I don't think it's necessarily a "cheapy," according to several much cheaper prices I've seen, this one is close to $300.

Really not sure if I should put the name/website on here...because I don't want to say anything negative. Well, I really have nothing negative to say, have heard only good things, but the lack of a photo or two makes me a little nervous. I can of course check into the return policy, or just start looking elsewhere as well.

I know this has been brought up before, but perhaps people can recommend quality harness makers/sellers here? I am not looking for a show quality harness. I am looking for a dependable, quality harness for home use. I would be happy with leather or betathane. I really am not interested in a nylon. I really like the russet harness (think it would look great on my black horse!) from minitack.com I believe it is, too, and am also very much considering that one. Would prefer to stay below $300.

Thanks!

We have bought all of our harnesses from PrimeDesign Tack. Both of them are betathane but one is a show harness with more refinement to it and with fancy rosettes and browband. It also has adjustable traces. Of course we paid more for the show harness-$495.00 but it was worth it to us. The other betathane harness is used for every day, around the ranch but cleans up nice and easy for the show ring.

Good luck shopping!

Denisee

Latest posts

Back