Buying a show halter.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesi

Reaction score
So all of the show halters I've been able to find are really, really expensive! I've found some on Ebay, and this one I really like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wild-Thing-Miniature-h...%3A1%7C294%3A30

What do you all think of it? It's under $100, which a plus.. LOL
default_smile.png

Check out the ones that Double Diamond sell--I know a number of forum members have purchased them and they all speak very highly of them. I think they're around $45 each and that includes halter, conchos, chain & lead. I had the opportunity to use a couple of them this past weekend, and they are actually very nice halters. You sure can't beat that price, and the quality seems to be quite good. I don't have the link handy but I think Double Diamond will be listed on the LB tack shop listings & if you check out their show halter page you'll see the ones I'm referring to.

You'll find no better deals than Quicksilver for the show halters. I've been browsing their store for my weanling.

I have all quicksilver halters and I love them. They may not be the fancy biothane or anything but they look just as nice on the horse I think. I actually had to buy a custom made one since the ones DD carry are too big at the smallest size for my weanling. I like the DD halters though except for the one that is a knock off of the BKM halters just because of the large metal rings that take over the whole head. But that is just my preference. I actually almost bought the halter you posted here for my weanling but went with the blue holograph halter and it looks great on him!

Jesi

I would not use the halter pictured for a show as said above check out some other places and also check the Last Chance Auction for used show halters. Sometimes you see them on the saleboard too.

I agree with Kay, may be a little too casual for a show halter. Herron Stables carries some nice halter for a very reasonable price, and they are great people to work with too.

I would also recommend the $45 Double Diamond halter deal. It's a complete set including chain, conchos and lead. I have higher end halters that are mostly what I use (Victor primarily, some BKM, Designer and Billy Royal, too). HOWEVER, I couldn't resist snapping up some of the Double Diamond ones given the price and I think you'd have a hard time finding a better deal. Here are pics I'd taken of mine when someone asked awhile back. Good luck!

Link to these halters at Double Diamond: http://www.fortune3.com/DDTack/Show_Halter...how_Halter.html

Double%20Diamond%20Show%20Halters%20006%20BLUE%201.jpg

Double%20Diamond%20Show%20Halters%20013%20Silver%201.jpg

Double%20Diamond%20Show%20Halters%20GOLD%201.jpg

oh... whinney for me farms ..I just had a look at the web site , yea cool , nice halters , like the one you have in blue. Thanks for the info. when your tired of it let me know
default_wink.png

If you keep an eye on double diamonds website, sometimes that halter goes on sale super cheap, I think at one point for something like $27

Actually, I just checked to make sure it was double diamond, and IT IS ON SALE RIGHT NOW. It is $27 until the 11th, which is tomorrow.

I would go with the double diamond halter, The halter you posted isnt one you would see in the show ring. when I first got into showing I almost bought one, then went to a show and realized my horse would look kind of ... out of place in that halter. If you really like it, it could be nice for pictures or something though

If you keep an eye on double diamonds website, sometimes that halter goes on sale super cheap, I think at one point for something like $27Actually, I just checked to make sure it was double diamond, and IT IS ON SALE RIGHT NOW. It is $27 until the 11th, which is tomorrow.

I would go with the double diamond halter, The halter you posted isnt one you would see in the show ring. when I first got into showing I almost bought one, then went to a show and realized my horse would look kind of ... out of place in that halter. If you really like it, it could be nice for pictures or something though
Er, I'm going to the site and can't find any halter for $27.. Could you maybe give me a link or something? lol

Awesome! Thank you
default_smile.png
Also, what color would you suggest with sorrel/white horse? I was thinking maybe royal/turquoise, or even green.

I would say either gold or green. The gold is more popular in the showring from what I have seen. Dont see a lot of "colored" nose bands, its mostly burgundy/maroon, then silver, and gold.

Thank you, mydaddysjag!!!! I have been show halter shopping for a month. Using your code, I purchased one in each size for less than one I had been looking at!

MEGA THANKS!

Lisa

Ditto from me. I borrowed one of these halters from a friend and then ordered one for myself over the weekend. They are pretty nice in person and heck the lead line is worth the $27.00! Great deal.

Latest posts

Back