Buying a horse in partnership

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
How do you buy a horse in partnership or Co- owned? How do find some one to do it with? How do you decide who keeps/ shows/ feeds it? How is the horse bought, each partner pays 50/50? What is the contract like? Can a partner at some time, buyout the other? How does it work? All opinions welcome. I know Judy and Jill have partnerships... How did you two go about it? Any help would be great, Thank you.

-Desiree

If/when doing so, do with extreme caution !!!

I agree, extreme caution is needed.

Even best friends find it hard to co-own something because a lot goes into the promotion of the animal.

You have to make sure the goals each of you have are the same.

I currently only coown with my mom. I wouldn't feel comfortable coowning with anyone else. If you do coown, get every contigency you can think of in writing. I have seen some bad stuff come out of coowning.

I have been in a partnership with a good friend with 2 stallions. We recently sold one and still are in a partnership with one. We have been in this patnership for 3 years now. We don't have any written contract. We are both easy to get along with and are only 30 min. away from each other. We generally rotate breeding seasons. If my friend happens to have the stallion and I want to breed to him, then I bring my mares to her house when they are in heat to be bred. Once they are out they come home. The mares aren't there for weeks/months so we don't charge each other for the time they are being bred. Whoever has the stallion for the current year takes care of feeding, worming, and general care. Should something come up that would require hospitalization, those expenses would be split 50/50. Should we decide to do any advertising of the stallion we split that. Insurance on the horse is also split. Of course, I have to say it is not the norm that partnerships work so well.

I would definitely suggest that you have something drawn up that spells out in detail who is responsible for what and how the breedings will be handled. You can make it as detailed as you want. Sometimes having too many details can make someone think twice about doing a co-ownership. Good Communication is key!
default_yes.gif
:

I have 4 horses in partnership - just make sure you and your partner put everything in writing. Get together in advance, and go through all the details - who keeps the horse, who pays for vet, farrier, feed, vaccines, etc. Also discuss and agree on which vet you want to use, which farrier, what you want to feed your horse, which vaccines you want to give, whether or not you plan to show, breed, etc.

Good luck!

Liz R.

The details can be decided between the two partners as they will differ with each partnership........ Make sure you check out the persons reputation before hand from several people. If they have a shady reputation then you will be guilty by association........ Detailed contract but remember writing details down does NOT insure a happy partnership even if you think you know the people well.

Latest posts

Back