Buxton martingle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minister man

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a Buxton martingale on a miniature, like they use on the standbred? It looks to me like it would be a good training tool. If you fastened the Buxton to a surgical, then it could be used for long reining.

Then I could fasten pvc shaves to the surigual to act like shaves.

That way I wouldn't have to buy a team harness until I am sure of the size of the team.

I had to look them up to see what you were talking about. I don't see why you couldn't use one on a mini horse. It's kind of like the breast collars we use on our saddle horses in the mountains to keep our saddles from sliding back on steep terrain.

I usually ground drive without my breast collar or collar on and I don't have a problem with the saddle or surcingle sliding back on me. Are you thinking the weight of the shafts might pull the surcingle back? If that's the case then I think the Buxton would be very helpful. Fairly easy to create one as well from the looks of it.

If you decide to do it let us know how it works for you. Pictures are encouraged :)

Here in Australia, quite a few of the Mini Trotting people use Buxton breastplates on their harness.
If you google "mini trotting races" there is a lot of photos of the ponies and the kids.

Thank you I cant see that a sulky and easy entry cart would be much different than each other, so it should work for some level road driving I would think.

I have a trotting harness made for a miniature horse. It has a buxton because the shafts attach to the saddle with quick hitch hardware. I cannot see the point of it if the breast collar attaches to the the traces, which is a much better system, imo, for the horse.
Attached to a training surcingle, however, seems like a good idea.

Latest posts

Back