Butterfly bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue_C.

Reaction score
A couple of times, my bit chain has popped off the hook during a drive, and not only is that annoying, it is dangerous, as I then have to get out and adjust it...sometimes not in the best of situations. I have, since that last time, started using a strap on my trail drives.

What I would like to know is this. Is it "allowed" or acceptable, to use a curb chain with a buckle instead of simply a chain, in pleasure driving classes, and combined driving?

Close the hook with a pair of pliers, so it is stiff to get the chain on- that and a couple of elastic bands or even tape over the head of the hook will solve the problem.

If you are talking about using a leather curb "chain" then I could not see a problem, but if you were thinking of attaching the strap to the shank of the bit, as some western bits do, I do not think that would look very good. It would probably do the job OK, as to it's acceptability, I am afraid I just do not know.

Close the hook with a pair of pliers, so it is stiff to get the chain on- that and a couple of elastic bands or even tape over the head of the hook will solve the problem.

If you are talking about using a leather curb "chain" then I could not see a problem, but if you were thinking of attaching the strap to the shank of the bit, as some western bits do, I do not think that would look very good. It would probably do the job OK, as to it's acceptability, I am afraid I just do not know.
Yes, I have closed it a bit, but it is a pain in the butt.
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes, I was thinking I could use a chain, but add a tidy little strap and buckle, even if just on the one side. the one I use on the trail is just a leather strap, but I think a chain is better.

Hmmm, the elastic is a good idea too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back