Bute and miniature horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnmother

Reaction score
I think that I remembered hearing or reading somewhere that miniature horses should never be given bute! Does anyone know if this is correct or not. Somewhere lurking in the back of my mind is that miniatures should never be given bute only Banamine. I have some bute in my medicine box but since all I have is miniatures if that is indeed the case I want to make it go away so mistakes can never be made. Our vets here are very rural and they don't have the answer for me.

Thank you. I used to work for a vet and I am familiar with needing to be careful with dosing etc. However I believed someone had told me never give a mini bute or quest gel. I will keep the bute in the box, and I agree I prefer Banamine also and I have it both in paste and injectable. Having it on hand has made a huge difference for our little farm since vets are a minimum of one to two hours away if they are sitting at their offices. I totally believe in always being prepared!

The problem with both Bute and Quest is that it is so easy to overdose with them and cause serious problems. Because of the small size of Minis, there is very little room for variance. Therefore, it is usually safest to avoid the use of those products in Minis.

The problem with both Bute and Quest is that it is so easy to overdose with them and cause serious problems. Because of the small size of Minis, there is very little room for variance. Therefore, it is usually safest to avoid the use of those products in Minis.
This what I have been advised also.

Quest (Moxidectin) is different from Bute- you can give a mini the exact right amount of Moxidectin and still, due to the way it is absorbed, overdose to the point of killing it.

Bute can be given with due care, I have Rabbit on it right now as, basically, banamine will not reduce the inflammation and pain caused by his various forms of arthritis as well as bute, and he is 32 years old, so is likely to die of old age long before the bute will get him. (Seriously, he is obviously on ulcer meds as well.) I have used both, and there are times when bute is really best, as with laminitis- I will always give bute for laminitis.

Over the years I have worked out the dosage pretty well, and have had only good results.

My advice?

Keep the bute but, when advised to use it, read the instructions very carefully and do not listen to any vet who tells you (as one did me) to give one sachet morning and night for three days!!!!!

Latest posts

Back