Building jumps

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I would like to have my hubby build me some jumps just for fun. I don't show or anything but I thought it would be fun with my little stallion and my great dane. tee hee. I am just looking for simple and reasonably priced ideas. I am thinking PVC pipe or something. Can you show me yours?

Here's mine. Its FINALLY time to get them out of the basement and set back up. YEAH!

course.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post. I'd love to make some myself.

Whitney those look really nice. How do you have them connected? It looks like PVC Ts on the uprights and the horizontal bars fit into the T. Is that right???

Also, the one in the foreground looks like the uprights are set in cans of cement, but it doesn't look like the rest of them are. What kind of base is on the one with the lattice?

And.........one more question (sorry to steal your thread Rhonda), how high are your uprights?

Would love to see more if anyone has them.

Not a problem Donna. I was going to ask those questions too. :bgrin I also wonder how they pop off if bumped. Does the whole thing tip over? Or do the rails come off? Nice jumps.

I love to show off my Husbands jumps. LOL Here are a couple he has made .

Just don't notice the ground pole on the wrong side in the first one :new_shocked:

This was at a childs party and sometimes the novices get a little excited and forget. :no:

shelbybd065.jpg

This one was not made by us but a friend. We really like the base of the first jump better as

it stands up better . This one falls over in the wind. I do like the lattice jump.

shelbybd066.jpg

Just a regular jump.

jumps2.jpg

Another fun one. We got the stripes for the pvc in different colors at a place that makes vinyl signs.

They were end pieces and scraps and we got them for a very low price .

jumps1.jpg

And my favorite, the birck wall. It is also covered with the vinyl from the sign place.

brickwall.jpg

The rockers to hold the pvc pipes are pvc caps that are a size larger than the

poles. The are cut in half. He used one screw to hold them in place. They swing so the

poles come off easily if tipped. We play a lot in the round pen but really don't show a lot

in jumping. We need some younger folks to do that for us. LOL
default_yes.gif
:

Have fun .

If you do a search for dog agility, there are a lot of great sites on building PVC jumps. They don't look that complicated, but I haven't tried making any. When I was doing the searching, I had a JRT that I had planned on doing Agility with. She was killed, so we never got that far. :-(

These jumps are from Mini Dreams Productions. They are great b/c they are specially made to hold the poles perfectly for Minis to minimize any injury if they are to accidently hit the pole.

picture1_318x204.jpg

MaryAnn, thanks for sharing your jumps too! They are lovely.

Here's a close up of the lattice jump. I'm not positive but I think they are 4'. The pvc I bought I cut in half to make one jump and slipped it over a step in plastic electric fence post I got from Premier fence. The cross rails fit inside a L PVC fitting I just hacked off 1/2 of the bottom of the L.

gate.jpg

Edited to add if they bump the cross rails the rails fall out of the L fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Those are all great!! Thanks so much. Those should be easy for hubby and good for my Great Dane too. He loves to jump. i thought it would be fun to get him and my stallion jumping at the same time. We do school fieldtrips out here and that would be some extra fun for them to see. What size of arena or roundpen do you set them up in? My is a 64' roundpen. Would that be big enough for a couple of jumps?

64' should be enough for a couple of jumps. They are usually spaced 16-20 ft apart. Good luck!

Gosh this got burried quickly with all the new babies being born. Great jumps everybody. Love the idea of setting the uprights over step-in posts and the half cap for the rocker is a great idea. Thanks everyone.

We do dog agility and when I built my jumps for them I went ahead and made them a lil bigger so I could use them for the horses too. They are very easy to build out of PVC. I will tell you IF you can find it use furniture grade PVC instead of the normal stuff. It costs more, but lasts longer.

They are all great!! Thank you. 2 more questions. First, how wide are they? And second, how do I get rid of all the snow so I can try it out? lol. Thanks again!

PaintedMeadows am I correct in thinking you live in Alberta?...Just wondering. I'm from Alberta as well. Have you seen the jumps the club uses at the shows?..They are quite nice..Sorry dont have any pictures.

Hi dali1111. Yup, I am in Northern Alberta. 5 hours north of Edmonton. We don't have any clubs up here so I haven't seen them. I just want to do this for fun for now. Just a way for us to both to get some exercise. Can you describe the ones the clubs use?

Rhonda-Lynn, here's a couple of the jumps Dali's talking about.

bluejump.jpg

flagjump.jpg

Not my horse, but when I'm watching I try to take pictures, and apparently have good luck getting good one's of Quix Draw!!

If you're just planning on using them at home it probably doesn't matter, but if you notice on the blue jump, the "wings" that hold the standards up are velcroed in place and can be undone and folded flat back to make them a lot easier to store and haul.

Latest posts

Back