Building a fence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I would think that any fence material where a hoof can go through it, would be potentially dangerous to horses. Does anyone else feel the same? I see fencing that has large squares, and my opinion is this...if the hoof went through during play, and somehow got twisted or caught, it could cause damage.

That said, what does everyone else use? Can I see pictures? I actually want a pipe corral but want to make it so my mini couldn't possibly climb or roll out. I was thinking about wrapping chicken wire or another tiny holed fence around the bottom foot area. Does this sound dangerous?

I have both metal stock panels and mesh cattle panels to fence in my minis; both are stablized with t-posts (hope to replace the t-posts with wood posts this summer, but had to get the mesh up quickly, as I wasn't happy with the barbed-wire that was up - my husband had the cattle before we married, so everything is built for cows, but I'm changing that where I can
default_wink.png
: ) . Both have worked very well so far. [i don't think I'd use chicken wire, I don't think it would hold up to horses.]

I don't currently have any pictures of my fencing, but if I remember, I'll take my camera out when I feed tonight and snap a few.

I use t-bars and electric fencing for interior fencing as it keeps the horses away from the fence and is easily moved if I want to change the layout. We have 4 board fencing along the perimeter as a more visual fence but again with the electric on it to keep the horses off it. Horses chew wood and destroy expensive wooden fences VERY quickly. I have page wire on one field where our cows are and rarely put the horses in that one as they can get caught in it with disastrous results.

We made our own panels and I bought (and sell) some of the mini panels. I've tried chicken wire. It doesn't work very well. It is so flexible and pliable that it breaks off easily. I'd fear the horses would actually eat pieces of it.

These are the ones we made ourselves. They are made with 1" sq tubing and link together without any gaps. They originally had 4 rails but we added an additional 2 rails to keep the foals in. They are 48" tall and now the spacing is about 5" apart for each rail. They are 4" off the ground. Far enough to not get stuck but not far enough for a foal to get under either.

broodbarns2.jpg

The ones I bought are these. They are made like the big horse panels, rounded corners (which I personally don't care for). They connect with a hook/eye system. They are 36" tall and 8' long. They aren't bad, light weight, and easy to move around.

panel2.jpg

A friend made his own stalls and used 2" sq tubing and welded the 2"x2" wire panels to it. The horses have never gotten their feet caught in it.

Ok, I actually remembered my camera when I went out to feed tonight. Most of my panels, are full-size panels from Hi Qual, they are really nice; I also have some economy panels which are ok.

Here is the gate into my stallion's pen; it's a recycled gate that my husband added a couple more horizontal boards to.

horsefence-Dakotasgate.jpg

Here's one of the panels, I made myself, out of split 2x6s and left-over 2x4 mesh. (they are 4'x8')

horsefence-homemadepanel.jpg

Here's the fence line in my stallion's pen; mesh cattle panel with bumper board.

horsefence-Dakotasfence.jpg

Here's one of my Hi-Qual panels, they are so nice, I have the 10' panels.

horsefence-HiQualpanel.jpg

Latest posts

Back