Bugaboos!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic Marker Minis

Reaction score
Can't help it... I'm in a mood... I was looking at some horses for sale on Dreamhorse and a horse was described as 'out of' such and such a stallion... I'd keep that horse and go for the Guinness Book of World Records because if that horse came out of a stallion then I could retire!!!!

Foals are by the stallion and out of the mare... The foal comes out of the mare... duh! How hard is that to get?

Another bugaboo... Confirmation... Yep, I confirmed the foal was born... but has excellent conFORMation... If a person would just THINK... Conform is structural arrangement... or, how well the horse conforms to specific standards...

So, what else just drives you insane? <g>

Except and accept then and than lots of others-just can't think right now.I'm from the old school when there was no spell check(only tells you if word is spelled correctly-not properly used) and proper spelling and usage was drilled in to us. I also cringe when I see terrible of possessives especially in ads in papers where I think people should be correct.

Juxtaposing "stallion" and "stud". Possibly, though, stud has been misused so long that its meaning has changed...

The word "stallion" just sounds so powerful and procreative!

"Stud" rhymes with "dud"... Now, if he were called a "stude" then it would rhyme with "dude", and he could be very cool! A "dude stude"! Or, perhaps, "he's a stude, dude!".

lolmao! Marsha....

Oh, yeah, I've seen Welch for Welsh... That's another good one. lol!

oh, here's another one... A 'bread' mare... 'Wonders' never cease... <wince>

You all are too funny!
default_risa_suelos.gif
"Welch Grape Ponies"
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
and.... "Wonder Bread Mares"
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I have never understood the need to say so and so is an OWN son of ----.He either is or isn't a son of a certain stallion.What is the difference between an OWN SON and a SON?

I had company over this weekend and they were just insisting for me to allow the (BIG) kids to ride my 'shelties babies'. sigh. Reality... they are not shetlands nor are they babies...Like talking to the wall

How about Belgiums instead of Belgians? [Which I just had to look up myself, cause I forgot the "I".
default_doh.gif
default_whistling.gif
]

Filly Colts and Stud Colts... Instead of just Filly and Colt.

These all annoy me to n end when reading ads for sales or breeding. It's terrible here where I live though I think the funniest\most annoying ones are the ones that are trying to pass off a solid grey\chestnut\bay\etc as a paint because they have a blaze or socks. As to the "Filly Colt" "Stud Colt" thing many old ranchers\cowboys call foals that and have done it for years so that's probably where that came from.

Also isn't a Sheltie a dog?

Give me about five minutes on the local Craigslist and I will have two or three pages for you.

Oh, here's another one... Calling it a 'Paint' Miniature when it's really a pinto Miniature... Paint is the breed. Pinto is the coloration...

All of those make my teeth itch..... *twitch*

I get "palomino" Minis A LOT on CL who are clearly silver dapple. Especially when BOTH parents are silver, the owner KNOWS they're silver, yet advertise the foal as palomino!

So glad to find this, ok my most recent one is exactly how correct is "extremely correct" is there a better correct than correct? Am I missing something? I also agree with the "stallion" and "stud". And my own personal pet peeve is the use of the word "proven". To me it has always meant that a stallion or mare has produced winning foals. To most it means a stallion got a mare in foal or a mare is in foal. They have only proven they can reproduce, not that they reproduce well.

I saw a ad yesterday that just floored me, it stated:

For sale, yearling colt, "Show home a Must"

registration is pending!

The ad didn't state a price, but no one in their right mind would buy this colt to show, without papers in hand.

another thing that bothers me is: I know the economy is bad, so I'm offering at reduced prices my yearlings, so I can make room for the new foal crop!

Well since you know that times are tough, why continue to breed, feed and care for? Makes no sense to me.

Thanks for posting, needed to get that off my chest.

Great thread! Yes, the 'out of/by' one always annoys me too! Not really horse related by the thing that really drives me mad - heard all over the place, tv, even written in the newspapers - is 'those ones' or 'these ones'. Those or these will suit just fine thank you, why 'double' them up??
default_frusty.gif

another thing that bothers me is: I know the economy is bad, so I'm offering at reduced prices my yearlings, so I can make room for the new foal crop!

Well since you know that times are tough, why continue to breed, feed and care for? Makes no sense to me.
This one really bothers me too.

I never say anything for fear of being a *itch, but you all got my favorites, *sale, own son/daughter of, guilding*. Drives me insane. My horse club started a thread about this and it went on for months. No one seems able to spell palomino either! But I kept thinking, am I missing something? Is there an inner horse breeder circle of words I don't know about? Why does everyone post, "I must *sale* this horse."? Lol, yes, extremely correct!

Another one, "Would make a good.............*. You fill in the blank. How do they know what the horse would make? Or, *dam/sire was an excellent driving champion, would make a good driving horse*. Or, *was broke to drive but hasn't been driven in a few years*. I see that one all the time. I have even seen,"Selling her open, but she is a good mother, she is in foal now." Filly colt is my favorite. I hate it so much that I have gently emailed sellers why it is wrong and that correcting it would bring in more buyers. They ignore me.

AnnaC, that has driven me insane for years!! I never let my kids say it! But everyone does! Now my husband does and it drives me crazy! Those ones, these ones. I hate that! Hey, question here, something else that bothers me is *seen* used in what I thought was the wrong context. But it is so common maybe I am the one that is wrong. "I seen it on the news. They seen the same thing this morning. Maybe you seen it in the barn." Shouldn't that be *saw*?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back