Brought over from main forum...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe a sound, healthy horse can relatively easily get around a cross country obstacle course on his own balance with relatively little worry about injury over the short term. It may not look pretty but then it doesn't have to. In dressage that is unlikely as there it does need to look pretty and a horse moving on his own balance cannot perform the moves we ask of him with any precision. At training level where less precision is required a green horse is more likely to achieve a good score. A horse needs to be able to rock well back on his haunches in order to give us those transitions in prelim without walkings steps in between that are allowed at the training level.

We did our first competition in 2005, got more serious in 2006, and only in 2007 did we really start coming together and begin to consider moving up.
For anybody out there reading, this isn't any different for pleasure shows as well as CDEs. When we start a new horse at a pleasure show, we take it VERY slow. We don't drive cones fast, we don't ask for tremendous Strong Trots, we take it very easy in Gambler's Choice-style obstacles (real trail-class type obstacles vs. just cones). With all of our very successful horses, it took them three years to become seriously competitive and start winning divisions. The horse almost tells us when they are ready to take things to the next level. You can feel them start to drive themselves more aggressively. They pick up the start whistle and the word "Go!". It's like they say, "I've done this before, I know what to do now!"
aktion033.gif
There is a sense of calm in the horse that wasn't there the first year when they were busy looking around at things wondering, "Mom (Dad), what did you get me into!"
unsure.gif
By the third year, they seem to be ready to "take on the world". They realize that this is just another new adventure. There is a greater sense of trust that has been developed between driver and horse. BUT, this won't happen with a horse that is pushed beyond their physical and mental capabilities those first couple of years. You might place great the first year, but after a while the horse's mind goes south and you have to start over. If you want longevity, take it slow. Focus on the horse and the ribbons will come eventually...over and over.

Myrna

LazyRanch said:
In return, 2011 is giving Northern AZ it's first sanctioned event. If it makes it to 2012, I will save you a stall!
I would love that! I might have to fly down and borrow a horse though as I discovered on my trip to California's Ram Tap in April 2007 that it is simply not fair to ask a Washington horse to compete with those from warmer climes without an extended time to acclimate. We'd been trying to condition in the ice and rain since January, clipped in a snowstorm two days before we left then got down there to temps in the 80's, deep sand footing and horses who had been training in sunny clear weather without pause for the last year. My poor boy was lucky to make it through the marathon! Although I had a good time I will never do that again, especially to a Training Level horse. It just isn't fair to them when we can't start seriously conditioning 'til late March.

LazyRanch said:
I love the thought of Kody in a tandem, and will thoroughly enjoy seeing him compete again!Please give him a big hug for me.
default_biggrin.png
Can do on the hug! I restarted his lateral work in-hand last night in preparation for resuming harness training over the winter so we'll see how he does with regular light work. I'm hoping it doesn't prove to be too much for him!

RhineStone said:
The horse almost tells us when they are ready to take things to the next level. You can feel them start to drive themselves more aggressively. They pick up the start whistle and the word "Go!". It's like they say, "I've done this before, I know what to do now!"
aktion033.gif

There is a greater sense of trust that has been developed between driver and horse. BUT, this won't happen with a horse that is pushed beyond their physical and mental capabilities those first couple of years. You might place great the first year, but after a while the horse's mind goes south and you have to start over. If you want longevity, take it slow. Focus on the horse and the ribbons will come eventually...over and over.
Amen, Myrna! They go from "what are we doing here??" to doing what you ask to making the task their own with increasing confidence. THAT is when you know it's okay to push them!

The only problem with horses who think they know what to do is sometimes they start second-guessing you.
default_rolleyes.gif
Kody knows darn well he's supposed to go between anything with markers on it but hasn't quite figured out that red must be on the right so sometimes he fights to "correct" my course when I try to take him around a set of poles we're supposed to go through backwards. Silly horse!
default_laugh.png
I keep telling him I'm the navigator, he's the muscle. Sometimes it almost works....*LOL*

(And yes, I know, the horse does not get to make decisions.)

Leia

The only problem with horses who think they know what to do is sometimes they start second-guessing you.
rolleyes.gif
Kody knows darn well he's supposed to go between anything with markers on it but hasn't quite figured out that red must be on the right so sometimes he fights to "correct" my course when I try to take him around a set of poles we're supposed to go through backwards. Silly horse!
laugh.gif
I keep telling him I'm the navigator, he's the muscle. Sometimes it almost works....*LOL*

(And yes, I know, the horse does not get to make decisions.)
Been there! Sometimes I think he thinks I am nuts going in some of the circles we have to do to complete the course.
laugh.gif

Myrna

Been there! Sometimes I think he thinks I am nuts going in some of the circles we have to do to complete the course.
laugh.gif

Myrna
My horse, PJ, was green as grass when we started this season - no shows, no competitions, no dressage, cones or hazards. So he was easy - start from scratch, and take each day as it came.

Mom's horse, on the other hand, has been in total charge of pretty much any arena he's stepped in. He has a TON of presence, excellent gaits and paces, and has shown, I am told, extensively and through Nationals very successfully. At some point, I mentioned to his previous owner that I was considering combined driving - she was not amused.

Rascal has not been amused either. He considers himself very "professional." Ungroomed arenas are "not professional." Driving down dirt roads is "not professional." Breeching is "not professional." Considered ESPECIALLY unprofessional are: HyperBike, cones, hazards, trotting flat out furiously, and driving up hill and down dale. Rather than refuse to do something - the ULTIMATE unprofessional act - he would do whatever it was as fast as he possibly could.

Everyone had told me he was a "hot" horse, but what I have come to discover is that he has not learned to relax in harness, or have a sense of humour about things. That's what I am working on now - his sense of humour and relaxing enough to laugh about it - even if it isn't "professional." I have taken him to a couple classes with which he is extremely familiar, but also to a Darby and a play day. We have such a great mini club here - people like each other, cheer each other on, and laugh a LOT. So here's this horse standing around with a bunch of folks who give him cookies - even after doing something completely, and decidedly ridiculous - like run around barrels.

Eventually, I think he's going to make a saaweeeet combined horse, but I figure I am looking at a minimum of 18 months - and not worried about it. When we get there, I want him to finish the the day with a big ol' grin on his lips!

Sheryl, I love your description of Rascal -- gotta love those princess geldings!

No wonder he has an under-developed sense of humor -- whyever would his previous owner be "not amused" at the idea of CDE?

I'm sure you'll have him grinning in no time!

LazyRanch said:
Everyone had told me he was a "hot" horse, but what I have come to discover is that he has not learned to relax in harness, or have a sense of humour about things.
Upper level registry show horses are taught to be "on" from the moment that check goes on until they are unhitched. They are to leap up into the next gait when kissed at, halt immediately and ALWAYS be ready to move out in a showy fashion. The ones I have watched go through training really aren't hot but they've been taught to look like it with those snappy and overreactive responses. As long as the horse isn't actually an idiot I suppose that brilliance is admirable, but not what I want in a CDE horse or one I plan to drive on the trails. I'm still debating how I'm going to get a combination of those features in Turbo! I'm leaning towards teaching him that when the overcheck goes on brilliance and spark are expected and the rest of the time he is to relax and drive as normal. We'll see!

Leia

I'm still debating how I'm going to get a combination of those features in Turbo! I'm leaning towards teaching him that when the overcheck goes on brilliance and spark are expected and the rest of the time he is to relax and drive as normal. We'll see!

Leia
Roger on the "kiss" deal! I kiss to my horses for certain things - but rocket departure was never one of them. It has taken me a few months, but Rascal and I now have a system worked out: half halt and a kiss means one thing, kiss alone I expect to be blasted to the back of the seat.

When I rode combined training, my wonderful trainer decided the time had come for me to jump the log lorrie. To this end, he had me pull out a wonderful old, (well) retired ex-Olympian. I am thinking this horse 20-something, lame in 3 legs, and winded - and I am likely to die on this day. As I am making peace with my life, Tom hands me a very old (extremely well kept) bridle, and a pair of equally old boots. "Have Stuart help you with the bridle, and put the boots on first." Oh dear.

So I tack the beast, saddle, breastplate and boots. The horse goes from ancient, lame, hacky to paw, paw, paw, snort. Stuart comes in grinning ear to ear with the ancient bridle - and mind you, his usual bridle is a hollow mouth Fulmer full cheek snaffle, and the ancient bridle has a Boucher - both very fat snaffles - and the horse starts corking up and down in the cross-ties! He's 17.1, I'm 4'10" and two of us are wrestling this bridle on a now fire-breathing equine dragon. "You'll need these," Stuart hands me leather gloves, "and a leg up. Once you get on, I'll head him 'til you've got your reins, then trot him out, if you can keep him there - and he may buck, but he'll come right."

Great googlie mooglie! I barely have reins and no stirrups, when my dragon rips free from Stuart, charges out the barn - huge trot - forget the stirrups, post the trot and half-check each stride, hope we manage to get some semblance of decorum before Tom sees us. Woods knows exactly where he's going and keeps the pace until he reaches the cross-country gate. For a moment, seriously, I thought he was just going to jump it - it was a 5' gate, but if we were going to jump a log lorrie, I had to assume he could jump a gate. But there he stopped, all snorting and yelling, while I gathered stirrup and rein. The rest of the outing went well.

The point of the tale, however was driven home: Woods was bored in his Fulmer - to him, not a serious bit, a beginner's bit, soft and floppy for beginners' hands. But the Boucher! That was his competition bit. And those old boots? Those got him through 2 Olympics and they meant business!

I took this cue for my cutting pony: curb for cows, Fulmer and buckle boots for eventing. And again with a ruined jumper: big, fat snaffles and bandages for jumper classes, double bridle for dressage, hollowmouth eggbutt and boots for hazards. Various horses over the years have had different tack - they get it. So now, Rascal is going with his half-cheek broken snaffle (which he knows and trusts, and which fits him well enough not to nutcracker in his mouth) for his pleasure classes, and a mullen half-cheek for trail, and now Darby, cones, etc. His dressage is hopeless, but at least in the mullen, he feels like it won't ever hurt him, so he can experience new things, without being too concerned about his mouth. I am still looking for boots for his little legs, but I do wrap for cones and obstacles.

I would say, again as a beginner driver this might not be quite an accurate thought, but you will know, if Turbo goes well in an overcheck, and has room in his mouth, you might put in an overcheck bit, so he has that concept of overcheck and driving bits equal fire and snort showman. Then for combined driving, whatever bit he works well in. But definitely some sort of distinct change.

Latest posts

Back