Brought over from main forum...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue_C.

Reaction score
We run into this in the CDE world as well with the issue of whether advanced level drivers should be allowed to show a green horse at training level (is it fair to the brand-new drivers just starting out?) and so far the answer has been that while it's allowable, many trainers do not feel it's ethical and will show the horse at Prelim and just take it easy with them for the first few events.
I am afraid I have to disagree with this.

It SHOULD be all about the level the horse is at...NOT the driver. I think that a green horse, shown by an advanced driver is likely to achieve a higher level of performance faster than that same horse would if driven by a less advanced/talented driver...so it will even out in the end. What I mean by that, is that the horse isn't likely to need to be at training level very long...but deserves the chance to compete at its level, and not be rushed so someone feels warm and fuzzy because a "better" competitor has been removed from their level of competition.

What say you???

I know I'm the one who wrote the original quote but I have mixed feelings about it anyway. I had always assumed it was what the horse was ready for regardless of who was driving him, but it was a few of the trainers in ADS who said they just weren't comfortable "taking over" a division intended to let novices succeed. What they did was technically enter Prelim but they only trotted the horse in the hazards and basically treated him or her like a Training Level entry and simply took the lower placing as a consequence.

I guess on the one hand it's like someone who regularly wins on the QH or Arab circuit bringing their horses to a local schooling show and winning everything when all they needed was a schooling session. It is poor sportsmanship to take all those ribbons you don't even care about from someone for whom that show might have been a very big deal! It is just not right, period. Come and school, but don't enter the class for ribbons. Have some courtesy.

On the other hand, a green horse is a green horse and I can't see that an international level competitor choosing to enter a four year old in that class is any worse than the "Perpetual Training Level Entry" who doesn't want to move up but continues to compete the same successful horse at Training Level for years and years and never lets anyone else have a chance. Around here a person who wins that consistently gets literally "chanted out" at the awards ceremony- as they get their upteenth first place ribbon their fellow competitors start cheerfully chanting "Move up! Move up! Move up!" The person is not required to move up at that point (I didn't when I got chanted), but there may be some ill feeling if there isn't a good clear reason for it. One might be that the person cannot afford appropriate equipment for the next level, has a health condition that makes driving fast through obstacles dangerous for them, or in my case my horse had specific issues we were working through that we hadn't yet conquered. I listed those reasons when asked and there were no hard feelings while I spent an additional couple of months at Training Level. As soon as he was ready we moved up.

Back on the previous hand though, we all know that a green horse handed over to a trainer at a clinic will look five times better than when his owner drives him. That's why we go to those lessons!
default_biggrin.png
So I'm not sure it's entirely fair to have WEG-level drivers competing in a division designed for first-time competitors. A horse properly started by someone like that will likely look in a couple of months like an amateur's horse would after a couple of years.

I don't know what the answer is, to be honest. Neither does anyone else and that's why it's been a point of discussion for some time amongst the ADS membership.
default_smile.png
I've never believed in dumbing down a sport to make everyone happy but at some point simple common courtesy has to be applied. A true sportsman will also find no joy in essentially taking candy from a baby. That's when it's time to go play with the big boys or take a little vacation. Maybe volunteer a bit!

There is nothing preventing that upper level competitor from taking his green horse HC. That way he puts the horse through a full Training Level event but is not eligible for ribbons, hence leaving them to those who truly are beginners.

Leia

I'm pretty new at showing in anything and an absolute beginner in ADS type showing but in my opinion this is a class to judge the horses level of training and so should be open to any horse who is at that level. Does that mean the experienced drivers will usually win, well sure but when did we get to a place where we felt like if we couldn't win as a beginner it was unfair and we should quit trying? No one is promised a successful go in any competition and if I do win against a more experienced driver (gee, pretty much all of them out there are more experienced at this point than me but we all start somewhere) there will be a lot more satisfaction and sense of accomplishment than if the only horses I can compete against are driven by people with very little experience. I for one am glad to embrace the challenge, accept that i must start at the bottom and truly earn my success and learn something in the process. My horse will be the better for it and if it takes me and her 3 years(or more or less) to move up well, its about what she's ready for not how long it takes to get there.

I COMPLETELY agree with Reignmaker as to some newbies wanting things "dumbed down" so they have a chance to win.

Any win that comes from limiting the competition is an insult -- or the equivalent of competitive training wheels.

In the one schooling CDE I've competed in to date, I sucked big time (poor Mingus had to deal with his semi-blind whip, who got him lost on marathon and missed the exit in cones!) -- but we learned so much and had a great time. But I was somewhat embarrassed to receive the most improved ribbon, as it is a bit of a back-handed compliment.

I measure myself against THE BEST, and while for now I DO NOT measure up, this is who I want to compete against. Why would I work so hard for anything less?

As for the horse, we need to consider their best interest above all else. To expect a green horse to compete in a higher level is quite unfair.

I would much rather lose to someone who was better than me, than be in a class without them just so I could win. Being against someone better than you is how you improve! I think it'd be fun to be in training level against an advanced driver showing a green horse, just to say I actually competed with them!

I've learned this summer, that I much prefer sanctioned shows, whether AMHA or EC, because no one at those shows makes me feel like I should apologise for working hard with my horse and trying to put in the best performance. Competitions are how I gauge how I'm doing, and yeah, truth be told, I'm trying to win. But if I don't, that's just an incentive to work harder next time, not to put in rules to change who I compete against.

At one CDE this year, Chad had two Advanced-level drivers in his Training Horse class (our horse has been shown in Pleasure shows for 10+ years, but just started in CDEs). The Advanced drivers got 1st and 3rd. Chad got 4th while the lady who got 2nd he had beat at the HDT the month before. So we figure that by the time you weed out the really good drivers, he actually got 2nd!
biggrin.gif
I keep a spreadsheet record of all our placings at each show and who the officials were. I also keep a note of little things like "two Advanced drivers in class", so that when we look on it in the future, it makes more sense as to why he went from 1st to 4th in a month. I also keep track of dressage scores and other "blips" that may have affected the scores/placings. That record has really helped show our progress over the years!

As far as those "worthless ribbons" go, many times those very experienced drivers who are driving green horses are doing it for clients who really care about those ribbons, so just because the driver may not care doesn't mean that somebody doesn't. I have known pro trainers/drivers who have won divisions and had to give the big prize to the owner! If I owned those horses, I sure wouldn't want my driver to push my horse faster than they are capable or give up a placing because some novice doesn't want to compete against my horse.

If there is one thing that I have learned in the past couple of years is that one reason those professional horses/drivers are so much better than the other horses has some to do with talent, but a lot to do with the amount of time that is spent on that horse!
yes.gif
Yes, if we were getting paid to work our horses, it would be easier to put in more time with them, but I know plenty of people that whine about "professional drivers/horseman" and then work with their horse 1 or 2 times a week or even a month! You want to do better, work your critter! I can't tell you how much faster Alax came along after I started working with him seriously 3-4 times a week instead of a month! And by "seriously", I mean for an hour to two, with quality work on specific skills vs. just driving him around and around for 15 min.

Myrna

Clearly I'm on the unpopular side here
default_smile.png
but just to share a few more thoughts....

susanne said:
Any win that comes from limiting the competition is an insult -- or the equivalent of competitive training wheels....

As for the horse, we need to consider their best interest above all else. To expect a green horse to compete in a higher level is quite unfair.
I don't think it's considered training wheels to break the competition down into different levels when there become too many entries. Every sport does that! We have youth classes so kids don't have to compete strictly with the adults, amateur classes so newbies don't have to compete with professionals, etc., and I don't hear anyone saying a win in a youth or amateur class "doesn't count" or is an insult. Sure it means more if the win comes in open, but that's a choice the competitor can make.

To me these two statements quoted above seem like opposites. So on the one hand, limiting the competition to those in your own general skill level is cheating. On the other hand, the horse should never be asked to compete at a higher level than they're ready for. Why is that true for the horse but not for the driver? A green driver has every bit as much to learn as a green horse.

I'm all in favor of paying your dues and working your way up from the bottom; I've spent my whole competitive life doing that and am very proud of what my horses and I have accomplished. I watched how the successful drivers did things, asked questions, worked my @$$ off and just about came unglued the first time I beat them. I knew I'd earned it and that meant a lot! At the same time though, it IS discouraging to always be up against The Big Names in what is supposed to be a division for greenhorns and I honestly don't think it's fair. I'm not talking someone who has worked their way up to Intermediate and is starting a new horse. I'm talking a FEI-level Big Name Trainer who does this for a living, who's horse is already well on it's way to Prelim work by the time it enters Training, and for whom a Training level course is a joke.

I don't know, I guess I just feel like true courtesy and sportsmanship are dying in our society. If the owner of that horse (as opposed to the trainer driving it) wants so badly to see how that horse would do in competition, then get out there and drive it yourself! Otherwise, either wait until the horse is ready and enter it Prelim or go HC at Training level to school the youngster.

It's the difference between a trainer putting a horse in a Maiden Horse class, where it has every right to be, and a trainer entering a Novice Driver class. The problem is that in CDE Training level serves as both.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's considered training wheels to break the competition down into different levels when there become too many entries. Every sport does that! We have youth classes so kids don't have to compete strictly with the adults, amateur classes so newbies don't have to compete with professionals, etc., and I don't hear anyone saying a win in a youth or amateur class "doesn't count" or is an insult.
That is because the adults don't want to have to compete against the kids!
laugh.gif
new_rofl.gif
We entered our 8 yr. old son in the Novice Driver division at Villa Louis (the schedule worked better than the Jr. division with me being in VSE), and he went Reserve against 13 other adults!
aktion033.gif

Myrna (more later, I have to go to a meeting....)

"What they did was technically enter Prelim but they only trotted the horse in the hazards and basically treated him or her like a Training Level entry and simply took the lower placing as a consequence."

I really don't think that the hazards are where a green horse shows his inability to compete at Prelim level. It is entirely possible for a really quick trotting athletic horse to make it through hazards at that gait and win. It is in the dressage portion that a green horse is going to be unable to do the moves required and where it would be unfair of the driver to ask it of him. I see nothing wrong at all with either a professional driver or an advanced amateur driver entering a green or training level horse in the appropriate level for him. As a professional I think you would make yourself look foolish entering a horse in a level that is beyond his capability. As far as going hors concours with that horse I really don't see any reason why a green horse and it's owner is not deserving of the same reward a green driver with an experienced horse or green driver/green horse combination deserves when it wins. I wouldn't hesitate to enter a green horse in training level.

"It's the difference between a trainer putting a horse in a Maiden Horse class, where it has every right to be, and a trainer entering a Novice Driver class. The problem is that, in CDE, Training level serves as both."

I feel there is a good reason for this. Pushing a horse to compete in a higher level could easily be his career downfall. Allowing him to compete at a level that he is capable of performing at allows the horse to gradually build. Competing at CDE is an expensive business and unless the horse is competitive it is also fruitless.

So on the one hand, limiting the competition to those in your own general skill level is cheating.
Just to clarify: I was not suggesting that the competitors in a divided class would be CHEATING, but rather that I personally would FEEL CHEATED.

If I'm going to work that hard and pay my entry fee, I want to compete against the "big boys."

Granted, in CDE I am at the Training level, but I see that as where my horse qualifies -- if it were for me, I'd be in a considerably lower level!

@Susanne: *LOL!*

I'm quite willing to be convinced on this subject so keep those counter-arguments coming. It's interesting to see the differences in opinion!

MiLo, I'm curious what elements of a Preliminary test you think are too hard for a Training Level horse. The only ones that are different to the best of my recollection are a smaller circle, a half-circle, a serpentine the width of the whole arena and a lengthened trot. Now obviously a green horse is not going to be able to do a true lengthened trot but it won't hurt him to do a working trot across the diagonal and for the other figures, well, if he can't do those he has no business being taken around a hazard even at Training Level! Anyone who would slam an unbalanced horse around a hazard (and there are many, sadly) is already a very poor horseman in my estimation. A good hazard -sorry, "obstacle"
default_rolleyes.gif
- run, whether at a trot or higher speed, should be based on the same balance that is learned and tested through those dressage figures. If he can't do those at a basic level then IMO he shouldn't be out on course even at Training level doing much tighter turns.

I'm in no way saying a Training level horse can do a GOOD prelim test, we all know there's much more to it than just dancing the figures, but if he's ready for hazards even at a respectable working trot then he ought to be able to do a big serpentine. And remember, the only horses I'd be discussing in this case are in the hands of truly outstanding drivers who would be more than capable of helping the horse stay balanced.

Not saying those drivers shouldn't enter Training Level, at this point I'm just curious about the specific point brought up by MiLo. You know how I love a good discussion!

Leia

P.S.- What bugs me far more and crops up around here a lot is drivers who want to jump UP a level when their horse isn't ready just because they think Training level is boring and slow. I've been reminded that people go into CDE for different reasons but it still bugs me when dressage is ignored in favor of speed.

We just went through this at our last ADT. One driver in our group - and she drives a Quarter Horse - opted to drive her horse in Preliminary. She is a green driver, this is her first event, and the horse is moving from the gymkhana arena to driving, so also green where ADTs are concerned. Why did she opt for Prelim? Because she cannot keep her horse to a trot!

I'm new to combined driving, but I am going to toss my 2 cents in from a long time combined training/3-day event point of view.

I competed this year in the Green Driver division. It was a blessing, and clearly defined as Green Driver, in that I would not be eligible for this division next year. Regardless of what I had done previously, I have only been driving since January, 2010, and my horse is also green in that he'd never done dressage, seen cones, or driven hazards or obstacles, or even shown in breed shows. For us, Green Driver was a no brainer. The fact that we drive the same test as Training, had the same cones times and no times on the hazards allows green drivers to experience the training level without going crazy in the hazards - a good opportunity to see hazards in various states and plan for one's horse's abilities.

Training level should have relatively little to do with the driver - the driver's experience should have been brought on in lessons, and the Green Driver division. Training should be where the horse gains its foundation. That is why the dressage tests are written the way they are - to develop steady, accurate gaits and paces, willingness to go forward, to be obedient, to go where the driver puts him. Dressage isn't just about circles, working trot and rein back. It's about acquiring the suppleness and flexibility necessary to turn cones, blast through hazards and bring home a horse who is sound because he has become a willing, attentive athlete, able to stretch a working trot into a ground eating extended trot, then snap it back to a medium trot - or even a halt, when an incorrect gate suddenly jumps in the way. Training tests are the beginning of bend, which leads to pivot, and willingness to put that pivot around a cone. It's a basic foundation for what is to come.

A second point to green horses going into Training, regardless of driver level is the dressage judge. If the judge is doing his/her job, he/she has ingrained in the brain, those gaits and instructions printed at the top of each test. For the driver, those sections should be studied and applied. If the horse cannot do them with some proficiency, then it is not ready for the test in a competitive venue. If one reads the Training test instructions, one will see that "transitions are made through the walk. Longitudinal stretch an moderate lateral bend are required." By the time one gets to a Prelim test, the horse should have progressed to: "Horse must show longitudinal & bend & increased activity of haunches." Also, transitions may be made through the walk. This is what a judge will be looking for in a preliminary test. Take time to read Training and Prelim tests and look at the differences. Now consider the Quarter Horse from above. A judge seeing this horse pop up and maybe break into a canter for a step or two will score it far more harshly in a Prelim test than a Training test. It is equally bad at either level, but there is more leeway at the Training level. As many have learned, a great dressage test will carry a team through shaky cones or hazards, but a really poor dressage test will be devilishly hard to make up.

Finally, at the training level cones and hazards, a green drive needs to develop an "eye" for the course. Yes, walking the courses is a must do - as many times as necessary. But many green drivers do not realize how much a course can change after 20 horses have run over it. Sand piles up and makes a speed bump out of what was once a flat surface at that 7AM walk, the water hazard was nicely raked for the first horse, I was horse #41 and the water was surrounded by deep ruts and slides in the mud, and by the way that one hazard with the poles had developed enough of a sand bank to roll a cart and eject the driver - because she didn't know enough to look out for that, she too having moved to Prelim so she could canter. The point being that a more experienced driver - even a second year driver - should have learned how to keep a green horse out of trouble. Training level should be where the horse learns to rely on his driver, who should be keeping both of them out of trouble. Goodness! That's why times are slower at training!

A training level horse - the green horse - should be able to get through cones and hazards whether the driver is a trainer, permanent Training driver, aggressive amateur, or 2nd year driver. Yes, the more experienced driver will do better, but a savvy 2nd year driver will balance the end result if he/she has paid attention.

And some horses should, perhaps, never leave training: they may never become fit enough for the longer courses or fast enough for Preliminary and Intermediate times. The point is that, first and foremost, the event should be safe for the horses, the competitors, and fun for everyone - including the horses.

One last comment regarding the dressage. Any horse can do the figures, in much the same way that anyone can put on ice skates and within a fairly short period of time, do the same line figures Olympic skaters do - not the jumps of course, but the figures. However, it is the suppleness, the ability to bend and flex, that gives those figures life and beauty. For this reason, skaters are still required to perform the basics - the straight lines, circles and figure 8s for the judge - to demonstrate they have done their basics and are ready to move on. In the same way those figures eventually lead advanced skaters to "airs above the ground" the turns, circles, serpentines, transitions, halts and rein backs, when correctly and accurately done, give life and beauty to the movement - because the horse is balanced and capable, working from behind and willing. They too lead to the more advanced movements. It usually doesn't hurt a lower level horse to perform the movements, but compare a horse that is flat and unbending to a flexing, supple horse and understand why one will fly through cones and one will plank around, balls in flight.

Just my 2 cents - maybe a nickle.

So help me understand, you have a Green Driver division in addition to Training level division at your shows? That is a great idea. We don't have anything like that around here. But then again, most drivers here start out in the ADS pleasure shows before they move to CDEs, so they usually really aren't "green drivers" for CDEs.

I'm working on a green mare to take to the CDEs next year, and I have been driving for about 20 years and 10 competitively. I wouldn't want to take her at all in anything above Training level. It would be too much for her. Eventually, I think she is going to make a great CDE horse, but I don't push any of my horses.

Myrna

Dressage isn't just about circles, working trot and rein back. It's about acquiring the suppleness and flexibility necessary to turn cones, blast through hazards and bring home a horse who is sound because he has become a willing, attentive athlete, able to stretch a working trot into a ground eating extended trot, then snap it back to a medium trot - or even a halt, when an incorrect gate suddenly jumps in the way. Training tests are the beginning of bend, which leads to pivot, and willingness to put that pivot around a cone. It's a basic foundation for what is to come.

As many have learned, a great dressage test will carry a team through shaky cones or hazards, but a really poor dressage test will be devilishly hard to make up.

One last comment regarding the dressage. Any horse can do the figures, However, it is the suppleness, the ability to bend and flex, that gives those figures life and beauty.

...the turns, circles, serpentines, transitions, halts and rein backs, when correctly and accurately done, give life and beauty to the movement - because the horse is balanced and capable, working from behind and willing. They too lead to the more advanced movements. It usually doesn't hurt a lower level horse to perform the movements, but compare a horse that is flat and unbending to a flexing, supple horse and understand why one will fly through cones and one will plank around, balls in flight.
VERY nicely put! I agree wholeheartedly. A trainer taking a horse in preliminary that is not capable of performing at the preliminary level is made to look foolish.

So help me understand, you have a Green Driver division in addition to Training level division at your shows? That is a great idea. We don't have anything like that around here. But then again, most drivers here start out in the ADS pleasure shows before they move to CDEs, so they usually really aren't "green drivers" for CDEs.

I'm working on a green mare to take to the CDEs next year, and I have been driving for about 20 years and 10 competitively. I wouldn't want to take her at all in anything above Training level. It would be too much for her. Eventually, I think she is going to make a great CDE horse, but I don't push any of my horses.

Myrna
Yes, the intent was to bring new drivers into the club. Here is the official definition on this:

Training Green Driver is limited to those who are new to driving in 2010, or first time competitors in an

ADT Series (or did not qualify for a year end award in the previous series), and who have never competed in a CDE above training level, or in more than one CDE at training level. Any driver eligible for green driver may compete for one entire series in that level, and will be required to move out of the green class in the next series. The Green Driver level is designed for beginner drivers. Scores in hazards are not taken or counted for Green Drivers.

Obviously, the year changes.

Training Green Driver is structured so that even if a driver has a LOT of arena or drill or ? experience, but no combined driving experience, he/she qualifies as a green driver. About the funniest thing I saw last season was an "old pro" arena driver, having entered his "pro" horse in Prelim - they just had so much experience! Yes, the horse did the "maneuvers" of the dressage, yes the horse made it through the cones (although several cones were dragged off and balls ran amok). They did finally E out on the first hazard - not enough walking the course.

It really doesn't matter how many years a person has in a particular sport - changing sports will most likely require a new skill set, and this is what the Green Driver division was created to teach. I really like it! Sadly, since this fellow competed Prelim, he couldn't come back as a Green Driver. But he did learn his lesson, and is better at asking questions. His horse went training this year.

On another track for Training level - and again, this was astride, but the same logic would apply, I think. I had a jumper come to me. He had literally had a nervous breakdown. Although he was 4th level dressage and Intermediate over fences, well capable of entering at the Preliminary level, in terms of capability and scope, I started him at Pre-Training level. He simply didn't have the coping skills for anything more. Most people who had known him previous to his breakdown, and shortly thereafter, were shocked to seen him competing again, he'd been so trashed. But as you say, Myrna, not rushing was key. Eventually he became an Advanced 3-day horse, but there was a lot of groundwork laid and confidence built. That is really what Training level is for, and I wish VSE drivers would take that to heart.

VERY nicely put! I agree wholeheartedly. A trainer taking a horse in preliminary that is not capable of performing at the preliminary level is made to look foolish.
As Leia mentioned, if a horse cannot perform the movements, likely he shouldn't be running hazards even at Training. This is true on two levels:

1) if the horse has not acquired the willingness and obedience necessary to perform the movements - e.g. he is unwilling to give to left or right, respond to half-halts, etc., or is more likely to fling his head up, rather than willingly give to the rein - then he may well present a hazard to himself, if not to his whip.

2) if the horse has not acquired the suppleness of movement, the ability to lengthen or shorten - even to a small degree - the chances of him being injured are greater. More sprains and muscle strains are attributed to stiff or tight muscles than any other single issue (except possibly ignorant riders/drivers).

Again, the lower tests are designed to develop that flexibility and obedience. As an astride example (and I wish I knew enough about driving to give a better example) watch someone teach their horse to canter! Do they rock the horse back on his haunches, or allow the horse to trot out faster and faster until it finally falls into the canter? CAN the horse rock back for the strike off - has it been taught to use that giant rump?

IMHO

Beautiful, beautiful posts Sheryl. You and I have got to meet up someday!

LazyRanch said:
On another track for Training level - and again, this was astride, but the same logic would apply, I think. I had a jumper come to me. He had literally had a nervous breakdown. Although he was 4th level dressage and Intermediate over fences, well capable of entering at the Preliminary level, in terms of capability and scope, I started him at Pre-Training level. He simply didn't have the coping skills for anything more. Most people who had known him previous to his breakdown, and shortly thereafter, were shocked to seen him competing again, he'd been so trashed. But as you say, Myrna, not rushing was key. Eventually he became an Advanced 3-day horse, but there was a lot of groundwork laid and confidence built. That is really what Training level is for, and I wish VSE drivers would take that to heart.
I agree with this 610%!!! My Arab had a similar nervous breakdown from experiences he had before I got him and I spent a lot of years rehabbing him mentally. It was SO IMPORTANT not to rush him! That is why when I got Kody, my CDE mini, we spent as long as I felt was necessary at Training Level. We did our first competition in 2005, got more serious in 2006, and only in 2007 did we really start coming together and begin to consider moving up. I had simply not put the time into him that I needed to until then and Kody has some physical problems that meant he needed slow, methodical, consistent work to develop to his potential. It all came together in 2008 when the little brat won four out of five Preliminary level events we entered (and the fifth was his driver's fault, not his!
default_laugh.png
) against as many as 11 other VSE's and all of this after spending the winter recovering from bilateral stifle procedures.
default_wub.png
When it happened, it happened, but only because I took as much time as that particular horse needed to come together.

Now I do expect that my new colt will come on faster than Kody did but that's because I have a lot more experience now and won't be learning the basics right along with him. I am very happy to go back to Training Level with Turbo and wish I could do the same with Kody as post-back injury he is not up to Preliminary level physically and may never be again. The colt and I will take our time laying his foundations just as I did with Kody and I hope that when he is eventually ready to move up to Prelim he will be confident, supple and forward. He's much better built for the sport than my last horse but just like any youngster he's got his own issues that need working through! I am excited and happy to be getting back in the cart and back to work. The ribbons are fun and I'm pretty serious about pursuing them but my real joy in working with my horses is just in making progress with every drive. Why on earth would I want to skip that for the sake of speed?
default_wacko.png

Leia

Beautiful, beautiful posts Sheryl. You and I have got to meet up someday!

Leia
Leia, I do hope we meet at some point. Linda Smith - and Bob as well - laid the fire, soaked me in kerosene and flipped the match. You were one of the people who fanned flames. I have followed you and Kody for the last couple years. I was sorry to hear about his troubles, and about your Arab.

Hopefully, 2011 will see PJ and me doing our first sanctioned event, an event in southern AZ, and an overall year's worth of foundation upon which we can build a road trip to WA or OR!

Cheryl

Road trips are awesome!! I'll save a stall for you and PJ here at Happ's and if you wait until 2012 I can even compete with you instead of just saying "hi."
default_biggrin.png
If you wait any longer than that you might find me in the multiples division with Kody out in front of a tandem hitch, blazing the way with that big heart of his.
default_wub.png

Leia

Road trips are awesome!! I'll save a stall for you and PJ here at Happ's and if you wait until 2012 I can even compete with you instead of just saying "hi."
default_biggrin.png
If you wait any longer than that you might find me in the multiples division with Kody out in front of a tandem hitch, blazing the way with that big heart of his.
default_wub.png

Leia
I will wait for the opportunity to compete with you in 2012 - and I love that you say compete with, not against, because that's the fun of it!

In return, 2011 is giving Northern AZ it's first sanctioned event. If it makes it to 2012, I will save you a stall!

I love the thought of Kody in a tandem, and will thoroughly enjoy seeing him compete again!

Please give him a big hug for me.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back