Broken leg in 9 week old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think as young and small as she is, she will heal well. I have heard of minis with broken legs, both front and back make a complete recovery. Good luck, hugs to your Cher...

Wishing you the best of luck with the little lady
default_saludando.gif

I was wondering if there is a chance of some skin issues under the cast. I heard a vet talking once about a broken bone on an animal and he said they wrapped the limb in bubble wrap prior to splinting. Just thinking...........
Yes, I have heard there could be some issues with the skin, particularly if it gets wet or wears on the cast. She still had most of her baby coat on the leg, so I would assume that provides some kind of padding. Someone suggested to me that they would redo the cast in two weeks, but I am

reluctant to that as that means putting her under again.

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes and first hand stories! It has been an education as I had no idea these type of injuries were so manageble anymore. Gave me hope as well....

My best producing mare had fractured a hip as a baby - flipped herself on the cement while they were getting ready to load her to go to a show. They kept her in a stall for a month and she healed up just fine. They didn't breed her or show her so I bought her as a coming 5 year old - no guarantees. I had her evaluated - bred her to the finest boned stallion I could find (had to go to New York to find the right one). She flies around the pasture like her tail was on fire, and she has popped out a whole bunch of awesome babies, no problems.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you!! Hey, look at Buckeroo! He broke his leg as a young stallion and look how he turned out.
Too funny, Buckeroo is Cher's great, great grandfather.....of course that could probably be said of about 75% of the minis out there

I'm sure your vet will advise you, but I would think that possibly you will have to re-do the cast after a couple of weeks - foals can grow so fast in a short time and the cast getting tight could cause more problems. It would also be good to check for any possible rubbing/sores/infection. Just my thoughts.

Anna

I'm sure your vet will advise you, but I would think that possibly you will have to re-do the cast after a couple of weeks - foals can grow so fast in a short time and the cast getting tight could cause more problems. It would also be good to check for any possible rubbing/sores/infection. Just my thoughts.

Anna
Others have recommended that too. We will keep an eye on it and see what the vet thinks we should doo. Thanks!

Please keep us posted!!!! These little horses can be very resilient!!!! It probably would be a much different story in a full size horse. The very best of luck!!!!

Barbie

Back