Broken leg in 9 week old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdegner

Reaction score
We don't know how she did it, but monday afternoon we noticed Cher limping and sure enough, she had broken her front leg about 2 inches below the knee. Had been in the pasture running with everyone else like she had been for the last 8 weeks!! Anyway, we were preparing to have to put her down but the vet said it was a very clean break, nothing through the skin and given her weight (less than 50 pounds) and her young age, he thought we should try and cast her. Having assumed a broken leg was a death sentence for a horse, we were very happy to hear his recommendation. So we did and he put a cast on her from the bottom of her heel up to her shoulder. She and mama are in a stall in the barn although on nice sunny days, we are taking them outside on the lawn for a little break. She seems to be doing well, hops around but is obviously more subdued than before. Fortunately, she comes from a long line of pocket ponies and both she and her mama are super friendly, easy to work with and keep calm.

The vet thought the cast should stay on for about 4 weeks and then possibly have a splint after that depending upon healing, etc. We know to keep the cast dry and to keep them away from direct contact with our other horses. I am wondering if anyone has ever successfully re-habed their horse through something like this? I know we will have to be very careful when cast comes off to let the tendons/ligments stretch properly. Also assuming shoulder muscles may atrophy a little and not sure if there could be impacts to her hoof? Could there be a greater risk of founder in this foot, especially if she has a little inflamation when she starts using the leg again (don't know if the fluid would drain down to her foot)?

If anyone has experienced this or something similar and has suggestions or instructions, I am very open to it. I know that we are not out of the woods with this horse and we could still lose her but, she was worth giving it a try and we will see how it goes.

I am trying to put a picture of her from my facebook but, I don't know if it will work on not. If it doesn't you can see a pic on Facebook by searching for MRZ Farms or Mary Elizabeth Wilson

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=227886090564707&set=a.227885817231401.65131.100000299539018&type=1&ref=nf

Oh Mary I am so sorry to hear this! My thoughts are with you and your little filly.

We had a stallion break one of his back legs in two places as a 2 year old. He had a bunch of pins put in, was put in a cast, and put on stall rest for something like 6 months. He was a big boy though and it took him a while to heal, i'm sure your filly will heal much quicker. We had him in a large stall and made a big window for him so he could stick his head out and see everything going on. He had a little bit of atrophy of course but not as bad as we had anticipated. We were very slow with him just walking him around each day increasing the time until the vet felt it was safe for him to go back out. He had no hoof problems at all but he used his leg quite a bit in the cast and i'm sure your filly will too. Just keep a close eye on it. My boy is still with us and about 8 years old I believe with 20+ foals on the ground. The leg does not bother him except when it drops below zero and then he has to go to the barn.

I hope your filly recovers quickly! Keep me updated. Hugs!

Thanks Amanada. If a stallion can do it, then Cher can too. She's the one on the latest MMHC cover. I was just out playing with her and she seems OK. Ramona told me to watch out cuz minis have a way of working things and she will end up being the biggest diva on the place. Already, when I started walking away from her she started whinnying to me and then gave me this big sad look, like how can you leave me??...... she is working it!!

Aw what a little sweetie! They definitely know how to play on their cuteness. I'm sure she'll be climbing into your lap and untying your shoes soon
default_smile.png
You are right, if my stallion could heal from that, Cher can too! The biggest obstacle was keeping his energy in check and the window helped with that.

I just love all of the beautiful fillies on the cover-they are gorgeous! Cher must be one of the 'twins' (the two silver blacks who must be sisters and maybe partners in crime?).

Filly in my avatar was born with a fractured femur and dislocated hip - surgery at 3 days. I messaged you my phone numbers if you want to call me. I'll tell you what we did and what we went through. Happy ending!!!!!!!

Barbie

mdegner said:
Having assumed a broken leg was a death sentence for a horse, we were very happy to hear his recommendation.
It usually is for a full-sized horse because they weigh so much and react so poorly to confinement and anesthesia. They'll try with the race horses but if they start flailing when they come out from under...it's all over.
default_sad.png
A mini foal is in the same ball-park as a dog, weight-wise, and they regularly treat broken legs for dogs! She won't be splitting 1,000lbs between three other legs so I would think chances of founder and such-like would be vastly reduced just because of the much lighter mass involved.

Keeping my fingers crossed for her! Young things heal up fast.

Leia

Aw what a little sweetie! They definitely know how to play on their cuteness. I'm sure she'll be climbing into your lap and untying your shoes soon
default_smile.png
You are right, if my stallion could heal from that, Cher can too! The biggest obstacle was keeping his energy in check and the window helped with that.

I just love all of the beautiful fillies on the cover-they are gorgeous! Cher must be one of the 'twins' (the two silver blacks who must be sisters and maybe partners in crime?).
Yes, she is the one in the lower left-hand corner, raccoony looking eyes. And she is one of the "twins" in the other pic. She is out of Charlotte who is out of Kiss who is our ARC mare...your line....ha ha

Filly in my avatar was born with a fractured femur and dislocated hip - surgery at 3 days. I messaged you my phone numbers if you want to call me. I'll tell you what we did and what we went through. Happy ending!!!!!!!

Barbie
Thanks Barbie, I may take you up on that. I appreciate you sharing your story as it sounds like your little one had a WAAAAYYYY worse situation than ours, so it really increases my hope.

I think the main thing will be trying to keep your filly quiet while her leg heals. Dawn had to be kept in a 4' x 4' corner of her mom's stall for 3 months, with someone lifting her out to nurse and then putting her back. I had her under camera and would watch her bucking and kicking in her little corner. It was so hard to confine her, but as the surgery didn't hold (couldn't use plates/screws as she was so little and bones so soft), they used wire, we had to pray that the bone fused. I will never forget sitting at a BBQ restaurant in Ocala with my husband and getting the phone call saying, Barbie, little Dawn had to have divine intervention as after the wire came off the bones moved into a really good position (I had left she and her mom at the hospital so that I could have a relaxing weekend at a sale/horse show). Dawn is in a forever home now and is doing wonderfully. She never knew she should have 4 legs the same. Her left rear is about 2" shorter than the others - no problem.

I think your little girl should be fine - good luck keeping her quiet. I did break the rules a little with Dawn as Peanut had to get outside. Had to get a dog

exercise pen so I could carry her out on the grass.

The very best of luck to you!!!! Persistence and patiences!!!!!

I cant offer any advice but just wanted to say I hope your little filly does well with her cast and heals up good.

I don't have any experience to offer you, but I wish you well and admire your dedication to your horses. I'll be keeping your little girl in my thoughts.

Hi, we had this happen to a calf... it healed just fine and she grew up to be one of my favorite milk cows. My only advice is that if the cast is on 3 weeks on a growing baby watch that it doesn't get tight and make sores on the leg. That happened to the calf, but it still turned out ok and healed just fine.
default_saludando.gif

My best producing mare had fractured a hip as a baby - flipped herself on the cement while they were getting ready to load her to go to a show. They kept her in a stall for a month and she healed up just fine. They didn't breed her or show her so I bought her as a coming 5 year old - no guarantees. I had her evaluated - bred her to the finest boned stallion I could find (had to go to New York to find the right one). She flies around the pasture like her tail was on fire, and she has popped out a whole bunch of awesome babies, no problems.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you!! Hey, look at Buckeroo! He broke his leg as a young stallion and look how he turned out.

I have no idea but please ask your vet about getting her on some serious pain meds and ulcer meds that should help ward of colic, ulcers super stress. I am so very sorry and hope for a wonderful outcome.

We have had a yearing colt last year with dislocated knee and bone below broken.

It took a while but no he is playing in the field with the other colts and no one wil see what he has been through. Good luck to your filly, she will be fine!

I too just want to add my good wishes and prayers for your little filly. I'm sure that being so small and young, she stands a really good chance of a full recovery, bless her.

Good luck!

Anna

I have an open broodmare in the barn now with a hairline fracture two inches above her elbow. She was dead lame when we first found her. Vet had me confine her to the stall, banimine for inflamation, and gastrogard for 10 days. We are now on week four and she is now putting weight on it but has worn her toe down because she was dragging it. I have moved her to a stall that opens into a small outside area so she can socialize through the fence. Due to their small size these little guys can heal fast. I must keep her confined though for two more months. Vet comes every two weeks to check.

Good luck with your filly, hang in there!

Wishing you the best of luck with the little lady
default_saludando.gif

I was wondering if there is a chance of some skin issues under the cast. I heard a vet talking once about a broken bone on an animal and he said they wrapped the limb in bubble wrap prior to splinting. Just thinking...........

Good luck with your girl!! I'll bet she'll be just fine.
default_smile.png
She sure is a cutie!

Latest posts

Back