breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisamari

Reaction score
I have a 10 month old colt is he able to reproduce? he has been trying to mount my 6 yr, old mare is this cause for concern?

I'm no expert but I would be concerned our colts are separated at 4-6 mos old from any mares. But our are usually sold before weaning. The 2 we kept for a year or so 1 sold and boarded with us and the other we kept were together but separated from any mares at 4-5 mos old.

I would think yes there is a possibility they can reproduce at 10 mos old

so I would separate them

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, he is capable. If you want to be sure you don't have a baby coming from him, you should move him to a different pasture.

After 8 or 9 months old, colts can become fertile (sort of like a 13-15 year old boy can theoretically impregnate a girl).

Responsible breeders usually separate colts at 6-8 months of age because of this. Registries also won't register babies sired by colts this young.

Andrea

Thank you ,I am not a breeder nor do I want to be ,we just got our mare on saturday and he wont leave her alone, I havent owned my minis very long ...everything Ive read says 12 to 14 mo. ....I was just concerned ..again thank you for your input Ladies
default_biggrin.png

Ha ha!!! Yes, separate, geld right now, and then in a month or two you can safely put them back together.

Yes he can be fertile
default_smile.png
8-10 months is the rule for fertility. 6-8 for safety. A year used to be used as the standard, but evidence shows otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 8 or 9 months old, colts can become fertile (sort of like a 13-15 year old boy can theoretically impregnate a girl).

Responsible breeders usually separate colts at 6-8 months of age because of this. Registries also won't register babies sired by colts this young.

Andrea
I thought the AMHA would as long as the resulting foal parent qualified?

How old does the male (foals or stallion) has to be for the resulting foal to be registered?

I am just curious.

On the same topic at what age minimum should the stallion be allowed to bread?

I don't think there is any age limit for AMHA?

AMHR - the stallion (and mare as well) must be 2 years old at time of breeding (2 years as of Jan. 1st of the year they have their actual 2nd birthday) in order for the foal to be registered.

A stallion can physically breed at two (well, as discussed, he's fertile before 1), but I do not feel they are mentally able to tolerate it that young. I don't mind letting them breed once or twice their 2nd year, but I prefer to wait until 3 to introduce them to breeding, and 4/5 to start them with more than one or two mares. At 5 they are sexually mature, and between 4-6 they will maximize their sperm production.

Latest posts

Back