Breeding those "Rescue Horses"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should probably not hop in the Hot water here but I disagree. If all the resuce horse were to be sold without papers, then a lot of them would end up in the same sad situation - with people that don't have enough to spend on them or don't consider them "valuable" enough to spend money for vets. I know that I have no room for a horse that can't be shown and just has to stand around and "decorate" the pasture. I insist that any horse than I own be productive ---meaning it can either be driven in parades; big and safe enough for children to ride; or quality to be shown.

I don't have much use for "pet" cats, dogs or any other animal that doesn't have a "job". I think animals like people have to have a purpose to their life.

Ok, fire away.
I think they should keep their papers but not breed if they go through an organized "not for profit" rescue. What private individuals do is their business and if a really nice horse ends up needing a leg up and then goes back into the gene pool I am fine with that, but the organized rescues have no business being in the breeding business. But I do think that any animal that has papers should keep them. Dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, guinea pigs, whatever... if they have papers those should stay with them through their entire life. I have a dog who I know is registered but I have no idea of his bloodlines because he came through a rescue and they don't give papers on rescues. I know part of that is so that I can't track down his old owners and they can't find me but knowing his bloodlines could help me research any possible health issues in his lines. He is already neutered, I can't breed him, and those bloodlines are HIS, so why can't I know what they are? It could save his life if I know certain genetic issues run in his line. I've never really understood pulling papers on rescues.

As far as animals needing a job, my pet's DO have a job. They are companion animals. They keep me company. And they are pretty darn good at their job too! They have been bred for generations to be good at the job they do.
default_biggrin.png

Just want to jump in here and say that I really do wish people would send the horses papers with them when they go to rescue- it does keep the door open for many options other than breeding. I do wish that our registration would work at lot like the dogs and have non breeding and breeding papers. I don't think it would stop all questionable breeding but I think it would open more doors for the horses that get forgotten- or misplaced or rehomed, for a second chance.

Tiffany

If I took in a resuce horse from one of the Rescue places and "if" the horse was very good quality, papered ,, I would want the option to be able to breed in the future. Not that I breed very often.

I have turn down bringing Rescues here because the place I talked with.. said no breeding but what got me ticked... I had to sign paper work that they could come on my place at any time day or night with no warning to check on "their" horse and take their horse back at any time. I understand to a point that they want the best for the horse. However, no one has the right to come on someones property like that. Nor would I trust them not to cause problems, hurt or take the animals I already have. Personally I do not trust people like that to do what is right.

Some of the resuce places.. or should say a lot of the rescue places go to the extreme.

Same with some other shelters.
default_no.gif

I have found over the years, just because the shelters/rescues withhold papers doesn't not stop the breeding if the person wants to breed. One will just have more unpapered foals out there.

Is another reason I will not get animals from the Shelters....was looking for mousers for out side. All my animals are well cared for but the 8 page questions and then saying the cat can't go outside at all... is just silly. Also do not like how those folks treat everyone, like they are stupid and do not know anything. If they were polite about it, I would not take such an issue.

Rather a big Pet Peeve of mine.

In response to 2 earlier posts on this thread . . . .

I don't think the goal of the breed should be to make it rare. Im sorry that your horse is worth less because there are plenty of minis to go around, but frankly, it isn't about the value of your horse.

And even if the breed WAS rare, there would STILL be mistreated and neglected horses. And rare wouldn't mean that all minis are quality either, and there would still be unsound horses being bred, yes, even if the breed was rare.

It also makes me sad to read things like "A gelding usually has a nicer life that a stallion." I don't agree with this at all, and I think it all depends on what you are willing to make of your stallions life, and the steps you are willing to take to create a more social life for him. In a previous thread, lots of great points were made about things to be done.

-giving him a gelding for a pasture mate

-letting him rome with bred mares, or any mare in the off breeding season

I am forgetting many of the other points, but the thread is here somewhere

Latest posts

Back