Breeding Season Which Stallion for which mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which stud if they were your studs for which mare?

• Black overo homozygous for black gene

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Solid Palomino with Blaze

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

MBhorses

Reaction score
Okay I have question. I have two mares and two studs. I have mare I will rebred this week.The black pinto mare Mia had nice sorrel pinto filly by palomino this year. Should I Rebred her to same stud palomino or try her with black overo? If I bred Mia to palomino several choices or Elvis black overo only black which is also great.I know conformation is first and for most,but I asking which of the two is better pair up.I also have fancy due in may first of june. Fancy had black pinto colt last year with elvis.I rebred fancy in 2011 for repeat of 2011 foal for 2012.Should I bred fancy to elvis in 2012 for 2013 foal to have third foal by them or try her with Palomino duffy for 2013?Fancy is homozygous for tobiano so foal will be pinto. She can have bay pinto or black pinto with elvis and she can have palomino pinto or sorrel pinto with duffy?

This is help her me have best foals i can.

thanks melissa

elvis has two foals so far black pinto filly blue eyes and black pinto colt blue eyes.Elvis is NFC Fice and Ice pedigree along with others.Elvis sire was shown Elvis sire Laurel Acres Hello Fire

double20vision.jpg.w300h2401.jpg

duffy i need better photos he is 3 yrs old Duffy first foal is sorrel pinto filly Duffy has del's cowboy and dippers duffy along with others.Duffy's sire was shown Knells Custom made

Temperanceduffy41512 081.JPG

you can see them on my website as well along with mares and their foals

Last edited by a moderator:
mia

mia's sire Little Kings Hallmarks Buckshot

Temperanceduffy41512 001.JPG

Temperanceduffy41512 043.JPG mia and duffy filly this year

mia & duffy first foal Temperance is all legs LOL.

animalsphotosbyashley412 011.JPG

fancy & elvis foal 2011

black pinto colt 2011 032.JPG Taz elvis foal was tiny he sold at 4 mos old black pinto with blue eyes

I'm going to be blunt. What are you looking for in this breeding? Because honestly it sounds like the sole purpose of the breeding is to produce color.

You need to breed your mare to a stallion that will compliment her. Not add color. Color comes LAST.

To best answer this, we all need conformation shots of mares, stallions, and foals. Set-up, clear photos from front, back, and side preferrably on pavement or level packed dirt.

All you are showing us is some average shots of minis running around and what colors they are. That isn't going to help anyone critique.

Just trying to be helpful here...

Andrea

Agree with Tremor 100 percent.

I look at their heads......length of neck.......shoulder angle.....hip.....tail set.....and of course legs.

If both male and female are weak in the same areas, I don't do the cross. If one is strong in the hip and the other isn't (for example), it's a gamble. Comes down to being critical with your own horses' conformation and matching up.

IMAG0602 (1).jpg

Here is Mia today her filly will be one month old april 30 by weeks the foal is 4 weeks tomorrow. she is getting her figure back already

Here is Elvis

doublevision2.jpg
elvis-1.jpg
this photo is few years ago

Melissa-i would breed both mares to Elvis, but if you are planning on breeding one to each, at least make sure Fancy goes to Elvis.

That's what I told her, both to Elvis. Although that red pinto filly sired by her palomino is pretty nice

I agree with REO- I like the filly by the palomino- but like Elvis best.

Thanks you all :)I love them both.I was thinking of breeding both to elvis as well, but Duffy will drive me crazy if he don't have mare any ideals to help duffy if I don't bred him.I had taught of maybe breeding fancy to duffy for 2013 undecided

I'm with disneyhorse here. Geld the lesser stallion. If it were me, I'd list all the faults of your remaining stallion and mares, If he is not perfect, where they lack, and they perfect where he lacks, then breed to an outside stallion who compliments them. Most of the time, the stallions we own are not necessarily, the correct stallions for our mares.

Lizzie

Personally if it was me, 3 of the 4 wouldnt be in the breeding pool. That said of the two babies I like the sorrel pinto the best. I wouldnt cross the palomino with Fancy as that is issues waiting to happen.

Personally if it was me, 3 of the 4 wouldnt be in the breeding pool. That said of the two babies I like the sorrel pinto the best. I wouldnt cross the palomino with Fancy as that is issues waiting to happen.
You said 3 or 4 wouldn't be in breeding pool which one did you like?why do you say breeding fancy to palomino is issues waiting to happen? email me about it.Fancy was shown when she was younger and won local shows.The previous owners couldn't afford to show her like she wanted to.I know photos make a different. I am trying to take photos the best I can by myself.I don't have someone to take the photos like they should be taken. The palomino sire was shown in amha shows and won.I think If the palomino was small and better photos you all would look at him different.

The 2011 black pinto colt was tiny fellow.

Taz black pinto colt by Elvis at 7 mos old the day he went to his new home.He was only 25 inches tall.photosfromphone312 168.jpg Fancy and Elvis 2011 foal

I like your sorrel pinto filly but I feel she will have a short thick neck and throat latch like her sire. I would breed Mia to Elvis.

Unfortunately, I don't think Fancy is a good cross with either stallion. Her colt was nicely colored by Elvis but I would like to see what he grows up like before I do this cross again. And I don't think Duffy is a good cross with her either.

But I am going on the pictures you have provided. They are not the best conformation shots but do give some idea on what the horses look like.

Latest posts

Back