Breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white acres

Reaction score
We take our stallion out from the mares in the spring when our mares start getting close to foaling. As the mares foal we breed back on the first proper heat (not the foal heat) we check all the mares for recycling all through the season and rebreed when one recycles. Our stallion is returned to the field with all the mares after the last mare has been bred and checked that she has not recycled (we like having the due dates!) This year we had 1 mare that did not recycle once, she was checked all summer now that the stallion is in with the mares she shows no sign of cycling however he is breeding her every 3 weeks as if she were but no signs of cycling. As he attempts she will throw a small kick but will allow him to mount her. What is going on ? did she get bred then lose it or is she just allowing him to breed her and she is bred as I said she shows no signs of cycling and usually she shows very strong cycles.

So my question is do stallions breed bred mares or is it just she is not catching?

thanks

Jennifer

i suspect she is open. my stallion will not bother at all with a bred mare. they just seem to know when a mare is caught. But i have learned with these minis there are no hard and fast rules. I had two mares this year show heat cycles all spring that were due to foal in june/july. One mare was showing heat to the stallion the very day she aborted.

Latest posts

Back