Breeding Question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker

Reaction score
Can a first time filly being bred cause her to be sore in her hindquarters?

This is for a friend..she has a 29inch 2 yr old filly breeding her to a 32inch stud,she bred her 2 days in a row and she seems sore in her rear end..she lays down alot but its not colic.she acts like she is getting relief off her back end by laying down..she walks a little stiff in the back end..Any help would be appreciated..Thanks

Ummm...I'd say so.....

If I were a narrow hipped teenager who got "BRED" by a football player, I'd be sore too!

PS: Has your friend checked her FILLY to see if she might have been torn? A vet may have to check for an interior tear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree with both of you...I told her not to breed her...She is new to breeding and she said she wouldnt continue..I was just seeing if that might be her problem..Thanks

I am not trying to be condescending, but if your friend has access to the internet, I would do her a HUGE favor and direct her to the LB forum.

Thanks Carolyn...She dont..Thats why I got on here and asked for her..Everyone on here is awesome and very helpfull...She is wanting to get a computer but not at this time..I'll sure get her on here when she gets one...Thanks again..

Wow, maybe it's just me but I would NEVER breed a 29" mare to a 32" stallion for her first foal.......and on top of that she's only 2! Yikes! Doesn't sound like a good combination. Let's hope she didn't take and your friend will wait til next year to breed her, and will breed her to a smaller stallion.
default_smile.png

Good Luck, and thanks for looking out for your friend's mini!!!

I sure hope the breeding did not take. You might Tell your friend that she should probably have her 29 inch mare checked to see if she is big enough inside to be bred . I would not be breeding a two year old that was only 29 inches she is not mature yet. Your friend could save herself and her mare a lot of hearteche if she worked with a vet.

Hi Guys Thanks for all the replies...I did have her read what all of you wrote and she said she wont breed her..She said she didnt know that you shouldnt breed a 2 year old expecially the small ones..The filly is doing fine this morning and back to normal..Thanks again for all your help..Sometimes it takes someone else saying these things to get someone to understand..She really didnt want to take just my word...

Well, as many people are often quick to point out, the actual heightof the animal is not as important as his build and weight....

Anyway, the deed is done and the filly may well be in foal.

Mares apparently do have a hymen, and the breaking of this alone, in some cases, can make them quite uncomfortable!

The main problem with breeding a tiny two year old is that she has probably (hopefully) not done growing, and is still very immature, so, if your friend really needs to breed something this small (and I am one of the ones with a cut of height of 30", BTW) then I would suggest waiting, if she now has that option, until she is at least three, four is better, and picking a small, petite, stallion, not just one who is convenient.

I do not want to revisit horror stories and scare her, there is little point, but the dangers of foaling are multiplied as the animal gets smaller, that must be obvious?

I hope your friends filly is not in foal, and that she is fine.

Get her on the Internet, and on the Forum, we don't bite, honest!!
default_biggrin.png

Thank You....She said the filly came inheat on saturday and she bred her twice..Hopefully she wont take...She wants to learn just started out by listening to the wrong people...Thanks agian everyone for your input...Much appreciated...She also says Thanks..

Latest posts

Back