Breeding Miniature Donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering do you Donkeys usually accept the miniature stallion to breed them?? We have tried once or twice and she just bucks and kicks... How can you tell for sure whe she is in heat as well as how do you gett hem to breed Any info would be appreciated on how you do things! Thanks so much!

From my own personal experience, it takes a very special stallion to breed a jenny. MOST stallions won't. Meadowridge has a very special guy that loves the donkeys! Even a lot of the male donkeys won't breed a mare and a lot of mares won't except a jack.

About how to tell if a jenny is in heat. From what I've been told/read/seen.... a jenny is only in a standing heat for about 3 days total. They normally are really pushy about it and will even back a gelding into a corner and try to get him to breed them. A jenny in full heat will chew the air when she backs into a male. My molly mule will do the same thing.

I've had a fair number of donkeys, minis to mammoths, that are terrified of horses. I doubt those would want a stallion near them, especially if they aren't in a full blown "take me now!" heat. We've also bred quite a few jennets that are in heat ONE day and ONE day only. Just like women are different, so are donkeys. Donks usually seem to be in heat fewer days than a mare, for sure tho. I'd say three days is the most. I have a coming 3 year old open jennet out in my pasture that is in heat AGAIN. She comes in heat probably every 18-19 days. My poor jack is so frustrated! But no romancing until April.

Back