Breeding a mare after a C section

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorgeous

Reaction score
This spring we had a mare who had to have a C section eue to a very difficult delivery. She recovered well and didn't have any complications from the surgery. We lost the foal however. She is an incredible mare and we would really love to have a foal from her and our bay pinto stallion. What have been your experiences with breeding a mare after a C section?

Why did the mare require a cesarian?

It is very possible to breed a mare back after the recovery. Its not nearly as fertile as they once were, but it is possble. If she's THAT good, it might be worth considering embryo transfer rather than natural carrying.

The problem with a caesarian is the scar tissue on the womb means it does not stretch as well as it used to, either during pregnancy or during birth- I can see no reason why fertility would be affected- it never has been in cats or dogs I have bred from, nor in any of the mares I know of that have been bred after this op.

I have never, Thank God had to have this done myself but I have always said that, were I to, I would not breed from the mare again- enough things can go wrong without added complications.

However, if you have a very good Vet facility near you, and they would be willing to have the mare in to foal her down the next time around, and you are willing to take the chance on losing the mare (always a chance whenever you put a mare in foal, anyway) and you really do need a foal from this mare, I would wait a while and then get a full Vet rundown and take their advice on the matter.

I have a mare that had a c-section and she has gone on to conceive easily and have several foals with no problems whatsoever. That said, any mare can have a problem during delivery and it may or may not be associated with the c-section.

Why even put your mare through all that again? Its very selfish, no matter what the quality of the mare is, you have a very high rate of potenial Placental abruption or uteran rupture. A mare can't tell you she is in labor, things can go very wrong very quickly. Please research the matter before breeding her. BTW her fertility would not be affected, it would be her success rate in carrying the pregnancy to term that would be the problem.

Have you done a search on this forum for c section (or c-section)? It's not an area I would know about to advise, at all, but it seems like it has been discussed her before. You may be able to search the archives for some valuable input.

Latest posts

Back