Breeder Alert vs. Equipage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I just bought a Breeder Alert system used online (have not gotten it yet) and see someone now has an Equipage system listed. Are they basically the "same"? Pros and cons of each. Do they work with cell phones or do you have to have a land line? Or...do you just use the pagers? Curious to see what you all say about each. I bought this one, because I need one for this foaling season, but depending on what happens next year, I may keep what I have, upgrade or switch brands.

Still trying to decide on a camera system (since our barn is not very close to house), so would the pager by itself be enough to alert me??

(mare due in March so I have a little bit of time)

I have an Equipage, with a pager and love it. I don't have a phone line in the barn plus I don't leave the property during foaling season, so the pager works for me. If you are far enough away that the pager didn't work, then it might be too far to be able to help the mare.

I used breeder alert last year in tandum with Mare Stare. I set the breeder alert to call my cell phone and my husband's (you do have to have it connected to a land line). Worked great with the exception of one mare that liked to lay flat out on her side.

I work about two miles from the house and when that mare went in labor (I was able to see on the camera she was in labor not just sleeping) was able to get home in just a couple of minutes. Good thing too as the colt presented with one foot (the other was folded back) I was able to get the other foot out and she successfully had a healthy colt.

I only have a breeder alert, so cant say what the pros/cons are versus the equipage. I just got the breeder alert last year, so only used it one foaling season so far. I dont have a phone line in the barn, so only used the pager. It worked great, aside from one mare that slept flat out so sent me running to the barn several times a night....(uwharrie, I see Im not alone there LOL!) I didnt have a camera system last year, but plan to get one this year prior to foaling season. I think the pager in conjunction with a camera will work out well, as long as I can find a camera system that works well. My barn is a little ways from the house, so I need to find a camera system that is wireless.

I have both a Breeder Alert and an Equipage system. I use the Equipage system most of the time with the Breeder Alert as a backup. The Equipage has smaller transmitters that fit on the mares' halter and I like that better. However, Breeder Alert came out with a new system last year and the transmitters are now the size of credit cards.

I will say that both systems work equally as well and work on the same principle. I would not be without one or the other during foaling season as well as a camera/monitor. I use the pager. I don't have my systems set up to phone dial. I really don't need that feature with my barn 75 feet from my house.

The pager will alert you, but without a camera and monitor, you won't know if it's a false alarm or the real thing. You can get camera systems pretty inexpensively, but you have to find one that will work with your barn and distance.

The Camera really helps with those "problem" mares :). I still got little sleep but at least all I had to do was turn over and look at the camera. We bought the camera system from Harbor Freight. It is a four camera system and is wired ( we just roll it out on the ground for foaling and back up when the season is done)

I only have a breeder alert, so cant say what the pros/cons are versus the equipage. I just got the breeder alert last year, so only used it one foaling season so far. I dont have a phone line in the barn, so only used the pager. It worked great, aside from one mare that slept flat out so sent me running to the barn several times a night....(uwharrie, I see Im not alone there LOL!) I didnt have a camera system last year, but plan to get one this year prior to foaling season. I think the pager in conjunction with a camera will work out well, as long as I can find a camera system that works well. My barn is a little ways from the house, so I need to find a camera system that is wireless.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had the Equipage for 10 years and wouldn't be without it!

SO MANY lives saved!

But oh how tired I get! Watching them all night, sleeping during the day. Only to have the mares nap flat out for 4 hours at a time! And they take turns! But I don't dare not watch them since I have some that foal in the day time! WHEW!
default_laugh.png

We have used Breeder Alert for 16 years and it has been wonderful.

Combined with the barn cameras and Mare Stare you will have everything you need as long as you are there for the birth!

Latest posts

Back