"Bred" mare showing signs of heat...or is she open??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I put my mares and geldings in the arena/pasture this morning and my 2 yr old stallion Khan in the adjoining pasture (wood fence between them). Normally, everyone just goes about their own business and pretty much ignores the fenceline. This morning, I was finishing up barn chores and notice Dream (my "bred" mare who is supposed to be 300 days preggers on Feb 10th) next to the fence nuzzling with Khan. She was letting him sniff and "nip" her...he was being very gentle. I watched to see what both would do. Then she turned and squatted and peed for him! Luckily, I was out there and that Khan is a "baby" and doesn't know what to do...yet...He never got an erection, but was very curious and attentive. I promptly put him away!

So....is my "bred" mare just a hussy who will show signs of heat while pregnant or...is she open??? She was confirmed in foal before I had her shipped here, but other than a fat belly, I have not been "sure" I felt a baby move (usually I can tell). She doesn't have a bag forming and really doesn't "look" in foal to me...but then again I have had mares that didn't and were.

Do I test, have the vet out...or wait? If she turns out open, I wouldn't breed her on this heat anyway, just because it would be too early of a foal (possibly before January).

I am disappointed at the possibility of her not having a foal after waiting this long. I bought her as "exposed", so no guarantees (and I knew that). Just the fact that this was supposed to be my 1st foal since 2003.

I am hoping she is just one of those mares who loves to tease the boys, even bred.
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, she very well could be heavily in foal and just have her hormones running crazy. I have a mare that will show for a stallion even up to the day she foals. She's just a hussy and your mare probably is too! 
default_laugh.png

I think it is quite possible that you have bought a hussy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I would be more worried about the fact that at 300 days she doesn't look preggy and that you haven't been able to feel a foal moving! Try clipping her belly as this year is very cold and mine seem hairier than normal. I have only felt movement on 1 out of 3 and I am sure at least 2 are preggy.

I understand your worries as this time of year we all start to get excited about new arrivals especially as you have waited so long. Fingers crossed.
saludando.gif

She could be bred, but she could be open.

That said what is the reason you put your stallion back up? He could use that as a learning experiance. If he cant breed, then I would leave him out.

She could be bred, but she could be open.

That said what is the reason you put your stallion back up? He could use that as a learning experiance. If he cant breed, then I would leave him out.

Well, if he figured out how to do it between the fence boards, I'm sure she would have let him breed her! She was ready and willing (but surprisingly patient). She is, actually, the type of mare I would try out a newbie stallion on...but not knowing if she is preggers or not, I do not plan to let them breed.

Also, Khan is leaving for training at the end of the month and I would prefer he "not know what he is missing"...lol

My experience over the years has been that mares who show strong signs of being in season have about a 50-50 statistical shot of being pregnant. By strong signs, I'm referenced more signs than just winking and throwing a little urine - which can be common for some mares especially in the very early or late months of conception. Those mares that completely stand very still - heavy urination - highly interested in the stallion and will let him mount and the stallion is VERY interested - are the "strong signs" that I am referencing. Based on your description you may want to have her rechecked by your vet to confirm her pregnancy status especially if based on her belly, (shape and position), she does not even look pregnant.

I am no breeding expert (I gave that up a while ago after too many heartaches. It's more fun to train and drive), but we had one mare that showed strong signs of heat and the next week she dropped an early stillborn foal.
default_no.gif

Speaking of persoanl breeding heartaches, I had bred one of my mares to my stallion. 28 days later, she's flirting over the fence line, so we breed her again- 28 days later, she's teasing again, so breed her again. 28 days later, she's showing signs of heat again, and since it was so late in the year, I threw her out to pasture with the intent of breeding her again this spring to my other stallion. We had been having issues with this particular stallion not being able to settle mares.

She aborted as close as we can figure a 220+ day filly. Doing the math, that put her as being settled the first time we bred her. Hard lesson learned on my end- just becaue they shows signs of heat doesn't mean they aren't in foal!

I'd have your mare checked again, just to ease your mind.

Pregnant mares can and do show signs of heat.

Pregnant mares 'trying' to abort do also, and sometimes this is your only sign.

Finally, open mares show heat more often than either of the above.

I'd encourage you to get her ultrasounded. Pretty cheap considering...

Dr Taylor

I need to have the vet out for health papers on another horse, so I will have her check Dream then as well. I am pretty sure she did not abort while here (unless she didn't show ANY signs of aborting?) since I see and interact with her 2x a day.

Will let you all know what I find out...

I need to have the vet out for health papers on another horse, so I will have her check Dream then as well. I am pretty sure she did not abort while here (unless she didn't show ANY signs of aborting?) since I see and interact with her 2x a day.

Will let you all know what I find out...
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

What I meant was the foal can be dead or dieing and not been expelled yet, in fact they can be held for long periods after dieing, but 24 hours is typical.

PLEASE understand, likely everything is fine, just get it checked.

Dr Taylor

Will be interesting to hear what your vet says...

I know lots of people have mares that show signs of heat when they are bred, but in my experience, when they show strong signs (like willing to stand) this late in the pregnancy, they are open.

When was her last foal?

I had vet out to ultrasound Dream...she is open.
default_sad.png

So...her fat butt is going into the round pen and she will be fitted to be my Sr. show mare this year!
default_wub.png
While I am disappointed because I was really looking forward to this foal, I am also excited to show her! I will wait til next year to re-breed her for a 2013 foal.

I do still have one foal coming this year, altho it will be foaled out in Oklahoma, so I won't get to "meet" HER
default_wink.png
til a bit later. Due in late March.
default_yes.gif

Bummer! I sure hope your other little is healthy and you can enjoy "her"!!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back