Bran Mash???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minifarmgirl

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot about bran mash for after foaling and collic. Is there a certain type to buy? How much do you feed and how soon after foaling do you feed it? Also, how much do you feed for collic? Do you only feed it once in each situation, or for several days.......? I've never used it before, but it seems like some good stuff to have around. Thanks!

These days you will hear more bad then good about a bran mash.

Instead try soaking the mares normal grain in hot water. Ours always loved that and slurped it right down. Just a way of getting a little extra water in them. We used the hot water since ours always seems to foal when it was still cold out.

[SIZE=10pt]Hi,[/SIZE]

There are, of course, many opionions on feeding...

IMO, introducing a 'new' feed to a horse

should be done gradually.

My horses are fed wet beet pulp every day. All I

have to do is warm it up and ta-da,, warm meal

and no sudden 'change' to their diet.

Maybe Robin C, our wonderful nutrition lady,

will see this and add some of her thoughts.
default_smile.png

Sandy

I don't use bran as their are more reasons not to feed it than there are to use it. But I always give my mares something to eat after foaling. I have some mares that get a little 'shocky' after foaling as their blood sugar is likely low from the stress they've just been through. So I feed them anything they want to eat. Soaked is good as it is easy to digest and adds some water back into their system as they have lost a lot of fluid from foaling. As Sandy mentioned, soaked beet pulp is good as well as soaked alfalfa pellets or cubes.

Thanks! I was concerned about feeding her something that she's not had before. I do give her alfalfa cubes soaked in hot water every morning and she LOVES it, so I'll go with that. Guess I'm all ready then. Hope she foals today.
default_smile.png

Hot bran mashes are something I do...but it is like anything else, moderation is necessary.

It is an old school thing and it makes me feel good to give them a nice warm sweet treat after a tough time. It is a little empathy on my part as I remember the how I felt down there after having children and the thought of going to the bathroom afterwards was anything but mind settling. So I do give them a bran mash just to get a little extra fiber in them, and at the same time they get a little sugar from the molasses to give them a bit of an energy boost, and some nice warm water to hydrate.

I do not give a large amount, maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 cup bran with a fair amount of molasses and lots of water so it is the consistency of runny oatmeal. I buy the box on the cereal aisle at the grocery store made by Quaker if that gives you any idea how much and how often I feed it. Usually a box lasts me a year.

It certainly is not a necessary thing. I do pretty much give my mares free choice hay after they foal and I allow them to be picky, if they only want to eat the premium and use the rest as bedding, so be it.

Good luck and make sure and let us know when she foals!

My warm bran mash after foaling doesn't include anything the mare is't already used to. It has a cup of shredded beet pulp, a tbls of Rice Bran, a couple of alfalfa cubes and a half cup of their sweet feed. They love it and as someone else said it makes me feel good.

I am a bran mash believer, told to me by Tufts University after several visits there with colicky horses.

My horses all get one bran mash a week with mineral oil in it and is the mare's first meal after foaling.

I make it soupy and they look forward to it on Sat. nights and is especially warming to them in our cold winters. Works wonders for colics and helps the mares for pooping after deliveries. Sorry to have to disagree with some of you but it works for me and has for 21 years.

Joyce

I'm one who does not feed hot bran mashes. I WILL give extra treats such as apples, carrots...whatever that particular horse likes tho.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back