Boxers and their gas...........Any Ideas???????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb O.

Reaction score
Was just wondering, I know it's common for boxers to expel gas on a regular basis. But any ideas on how to reduce the volume or make it less TOXIC to the human smell??? We have a boxer who we love dearly but is regular gas expels can really be nauseating. Any Ideas ??????
default_rolleyes.gif

What kind of food are you feeding? I know our dogs do way much better when we do not use dog foods with a lot of fillers (especially not corn). Good luck!

Boxers having gas is a normal occurance for the breed. Not nice, is it?! LOL!! I think part of it is due to the fact that they are high energy dogs and love to run and play, and doing so makes them take in lots of air, and in turn, gives them gas. As said, in part, it may also be due to the type of food you are feeding etc.

We have a boxer and she does expel gas occasionally but not a lot. If what Jill says is true it could be what we are feeding her. She has free choice Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice (no wheat, no corn, no soy and gluten free) Angel is allergic to corn and soy so this is how we settled on this food. Once a day she gets a bowl of home cooked chicken, rice, peas and carrots with a fish oil pill in it. And she also gets at lunch 2 big spoons of plain yogurt with non sweetened all natural applesauce mixed in. And when she is gassy it is not smelly. You could try the different food and see if that works, one thing tho, when you change their food to Blue Buffalo without all the fillers they will have a loose stool for about 2 days.

That reminds me of a James Herriot story about Cedric the boxer who lived with a socialite woman and would break wind at her fancy parties. She gave her dog to her gardener who adored him and just happened to have lost his sense of smell in a battle(WW2?). Funny story. I wish you luck and lots of air freshener.

That reminds me of a James Herriot story about Cedric the boxer who lived with a socialite woman and would break wind at her fancy parties. She gave her dog to her gardener who adored him and just happened to have lost his sense of smell in a battle(WW2?). Funny story. I wish you luck and lots of air freshener.
default_biggrin.png
I too remember reading that story!!
default_laugh.png

default_biggrin.png
I too remember reading that story!!
default_laugh.png
Same here... I LOVE his books...

I would definitely consider what you are feeding. Also, how much you are feeding as too much food can also cause gas.

Gas can be a Dobie thing too, I had a girl once that could clear a room.
default_wacko.png
I did change dog food and that really helped reduce the problem and then I added digestive enzymes to her food and that helped even more. Dog foods with alot of filler, or corn as a main ingredient would blast out of my dog, but these newer foods that give less volume poos are so much better for the gas issue. ...Best wishes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I knew boxers are big gas producers and I didn't think the food we use had a lot of fillers because we try to avoid those foods as they really aren't benefical to your dog anyway. I was just looking for a way to reduce the smell of it. Will look into the enzymes.

My boxer seldom has gas and she isnt on expensive food. Now the Bostons they have gas that can clear the whole house. FOr them the food doesnt matter, expensive or cheap.

you guys are a bunch of lightweights! try sitting in a room with 2 great danes!!
default_new_shocked.gif

seriously, when my 2 girls are gassy (which is very seldom, thank you Jesus!), i pop a couple of gas-x pills in them.

I bet I could put my French Bulldog up against anyones pet............. seriously ! You have to leave the room ! Could be all the different treats he gets ALL THE TIME . I agree that its probably the food, but mine are big, big babies and they love , love , love them treats !

Linda Killion

I have heard parsley works well. Just a bit with their dinner makes them less smelly. My boxer only gets really smelly when she gets something she isn't supposed to, so we make sure that we leave the room if she got anything bad. She is also on a real good food, which helps. L

Try some inexpensive over the counter charcoal pills. It may not take care of all the gas, but it does take care of the smell! I have a Boston, but fortunately, he rarely has gas!

I have a Boston who is the same way...best thing I've found is to eat lots of dried big Lima beans. Cook them up with some good smoked meat for seasoning, chop up some onion, grab a piece of corn bread and you're good to go... In other words if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Latest posts

Back