Body Clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
I have a question on body clipping. Have never done this yet, but I'm sure I will this Spring. Wondering if routine body clipping causes coat to grow back in differently? Reason I ask this....I'm a dog groomer. Some breeds, with double coats, can have different hair grown problems when body clipped short on a routine basis. Mainly because of the undercoat and guard hairs in these breeds. Some tend to re-grow more undercoat and less guard hairs over time. I know horses don't have same coat and I've clipped faces & legs all my life and have never noticed anything different. Just wondering if any negatives in body clipping....as I really like that look.

To some degree, you can clip at ultimum times to get the best coat back in... But for mini shows the horses are often clipped before every show so it doesn't matter what grows back in.

The worst is usually when the winter coat still has the guard hairs growing... They get a coat briefly that looks like a pot bellied pig. I hate those pig hairs.

Clipping right before shedding season in spring or fall allows the new coat to just grow in normally. But it never really damages the coat long term.

I always clip mine in april usually but if the weather stays warm like this i may do it early in march...

Latest posts

Back