Body clipping in October???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baffled Basilisk

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a 6 month old Appaloosa and he still has his baby fuzz and a winter coat building. I checked on him today and he was covered in sweat and hot to the touch in the shade. It’s 91 degrees out and it’s super hot and humid. Should I clip him? I know the winter months are upon us but honestly it’s Texas and it’s hot as hell right now. I don’t want him to over heat.

I feel it all depends on what you expect the weather to be in the next few months. Here in the Northwest I don't clip after the middle of August because our winters can be cold and wet. If you're around to play the blanket game if needed (on at night, off in the morning, repeat).

You could always give him a trace clip and just do part of the chest/belly to help with cooling

Texas doesn't really get that cold, so I agree with Marsha. They also sell sleezy sleepwear for mini's. Yes it's actually called sleezy sleepwear. It's a onesie pajama for horses. I have one for my Cully Blu. I use it inside, and out depending on the temp. They wash up beautifully, and come in cute patterns.I use my washer, and dryer,so no special tack washer needed. I shopped at mini tack online.

Latest posts

Back