Bob is now a gelding!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
HI. The deed is done - and it was a pretty gruesome event I reckon. There must be a nicer way to geld a little lad. He was basically knocked out - although he was kinda concious - he was making these funny groaning noises and this was before the vet started doing the deed. Whole experience was a tad traumatic for me - and my husband and I were bth feeling very sorry for our little hairy man. He is now ok - he is back in his paddock and is walking with his back legs very very stiff - which is kinda funny - that is the only amusing part about it. Oh well, at least i have done it now and hopefully Bobbie will have a better life for it. Just had to put it in words. Thanks for listening. Kerrie

Hi, Kerrie --

You did good! He will have a happier and more socialized life as a result!!! I know what you mean about the groaning, etc. Some of mine have done that and Derby (who was gelded at 5yo and I just adore beyond words) even flenched! His was the worst of any of my horses, and the recovery was a little complicated w/ bleeding and needing to be packed by the vet, etc. EVEN SO, I don't regret it at all. It was a relatively short period of discomfort (even pain probably), but the pay off is he's now best friends with his own loving son, gets to be in with mares if we choose, isn't hormonal, and it has not removed his "spark".

Jill

He will have a happier and more socialized life as a result!!!
Hi Jill

Thanks for the reply. When I went out to see Bob this am, b4 I went to work, I expected him to be just standing there but he ran up to his feed trough as per usual so he obviously cant be in too much discomfort -OR he loves his food way too much!!!

And yes, I need him to be a nice socialable lad - my new 5 mth old filly rocks up this coming Monday so he needs to be on his best behaviour.

Regards, Kerrie

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a huge supporter of gelding and Jill is right. It's so nice for them to be able to socialize.

We just gelded a yearling QH a few months ago. He actually snored during the procedure. He slept for 45 minutes after. I didn't think he was going to wake up. We peeked under the cloth on his eyes and I would swear he winked at us. I have seen him taking naps where he is in such a deep sleep. I think he took advantage of the sedation. He is a very happy boy hanging out with our older mare. She teaches him a thing or too and it's nice seeing them get along.

Hey, I just had three boys join the gelding club on Saturday. Two are yearlings and the other is 9 years old. I know what you mean about it being traumatic though. Actually, the worst part for me was the initial sedation. I don't remember it being a big deal a couple years ago when I had two done by a different vet, but all three of them fought really hard this time when the vet was trying to get the anesthetic into them. The 9 year old had to have a couple more shots to completely sedate him as he was still really twitching even after he was laid down. Lois, that is interesting that you held his legs. Do you mean the back leg? Both vets that have done geldings for me tie a rope around the neck and then tie the top back leg up using that rope. They have had me put some pressure on the neck to make sure the pony isn't waking up too soon.

Latest posts

Back