Boarding...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluerogue

Reaction score
Out of necessity, we board some of our horses. Currently, we have our 3 year old stallion, 3 broodmares (being bred to him), and 2 foals at a boarding facility. These foals are 6 weeks, and almost 1 month old. We were informed tonight that she will begin charging us for the foals. She wanted it to start now, and we objected (as they are still nursing, they don't eat much hay, and we provide the grain anyway). So it will start next month instead. Have any of you have ever heard of charging extra for foals?

This isn't the first issue I've had with this facility. We have already begun the search to find a new place. I've honestly wanted to move the horses for quite a while now, but there never was a big enough reason to before, and this just pushed me over the edge. I provide the grain, and I know the babies eat it along with their dams.

The facility owner wants to charge for the two foals because she says they eat hay, too. I'm sure they do, but not a whole lot. Honestly, the whole group in that pasture only gets 2 flakes of hay a day (1 in morning, 1 in evening) and lately it hasn't even been the hay I asked for (she's been feeding them a crappy oat hay that they hate, and don't always eat. My mares are starting to get skinny. I've asked her multiple times to feed them the alfalfa, as they need it with the foals nursing on them). There are 3 mares, and the 2 foals in this paddock. It's not even a pasture, it's a dry lot. For what I'm paying her, the fences should be in much better shape (it's basically cattle panels), and they should be getting good hay. I know the hay situation is not the best right now, but she buys this oat hay that is just crappy, in addition to the alfalfa that she apparently doesn't want to feed to my horses (and the alfalfa doesn't look that great, either). I don't understand why she insists on feeding my horses that oat hay that they don't eat, and only waste. I am just fed up with it.

So, back to my question, now that I have finished my rant, have any of you heard of charging boarders for their suckling foals?

I dont board my horses but when I had a mare and foal in quarantine in Texas for a month I wasnt charged for the foal at all, and it does sound a bit of a rip off that your horses are not being fed/fenced properly....I would be looking for a better place too if I were you...the sooner the better!!

I'm not up on what boarding facilities charge or how.......but I do know that when Larry is hauling a mare and nursing foal, he has never charged for the foal, even though he makes some extra space for them with the stall dividers.

Oh, and we have boarded a mare for a friend (and foaled her out), but didn't charge them board on the foal until the filly was weaned. I'd forgotten about that.

MA

for sure if your unhappy move them. but i do know a mare with a foal by her side is more work then a mare alone. I think the biggest thing is probably stall cleaning. You do go thru a lot more bedding with a mare and foal.

i would never feed oat hay to any horse. for sure they need better hay especially while they have foals at their sides

I do charge more for a mare with a foal by its side. They do eat with their dams and if they are stalled, they do require more bedding.

It sounds like, though, that yours are not getting the best of care, so I too, would be looking for a new place for them.

I would expect to pay higher board for a mare & foal than I would for just an individual horse--just the same as when sending a mare out for breeding, you can generally expect to pay more if the mare has a foal at side than you would if it's just the mare alone. We used to charge $3.50 per day mare care (Morgans) for mare alone, and $5/day for mare with foal at side.

Firstly, having the foal is more work, and secondly, a mare with foal at side should be getting a little bit extra in the way of feed--not so much because of what the foal eats, but because she is nursing that foal & needs additional nutrients.

However, I wouldn't expect to pay the full board amount for that foal. And, in your case, your mares aren't getting any special care; sounds like they aren't getting sufficient feed. I think this woman is charging you extra board for the wrong reasons!

Hmmm well since she is the leasor she sort of has control of what it is "worth it" to her to keep someone else's horses on her property.

I have never owned horse property, I have boarded horses mini to draft size at numerous facilities the past twenty years (oh goodness... if you add up all that $$$ over twenty years...!) and have gotten to be good friends with some of the people I board with.

Sometimes my current board owner will charge more just because she doesn't like the person or their horse, to make it worth her while. They might have dogs or kids or be negligent or the horse might be mean tempered or destructive to the stalls or a cribber or just a hard keeper.

A mare with a foal eats a LOT more than a regular horse at maintenance. My board owner doesn't charge any more, just per stall and I am grateful, but my mare easily eats twice as much hay as the other horses and I do provide my own grain too. There is a lot more urine and manure produced too.

I'm sorry that she is raising your board, but that's the trouble with boarding... you have no control over how much you are charged and if they want to kick you out.

Andrea

I agree that a mare with a foal at her side is more trouble and more expensive to look after and would charge a higher board fee although not 2 full board fees. From the sound of it though I think this place needs more money and that is why they have decided to charge you more money. If they can't afford to house and feed the horses they are boarding properly perhaps they aren't charging enough in the first place. You didn't say what you are paying for board but if you are unhappy with them and feel your horses are not getting good care you should look elsewhere but be prepared to pay more and to pay for both mare and foal.

When I boarded horses I did not charge extra for a foal on a mare.

But today, I surely would. A foal is an extra liability and a lot of extra work. I"d probably charge double, or atleast want to.
default_rolleyes.gif
: They run me ragged.
default_yes.gif
: And a foal is "taking up space" on the property. I know that one of my liability insurance companys went by the number of horses I kept on my place. 0-7 horses was a base price then 8-14, the premium went up and so on.

While you are complaining about the fencing, etc. remember, you chose that place.

Boarding horses out of necessity is supposed to be a home for a horse that you select, that you can count on every single day where your horse will be treated very well and cared for in high regard. This obviously is not your situation there. The oat hay sucks. I wouldn't feed that to anyone. Around here, it's called straw.....and just knowing that your horses are in a badly fenced area is plenty of reason to move them elsewhere right away. I'd be more than irratated if my mares were being fed oat hay and also getting skinny. Not a good thing.

One suggesting to you would be to tell them that you will supply the hay that you want fed, to off-set them charging you extra for the foals.

Best of luck to you. I hope you get some resolve.

when i had to board my horses. I had to pay half price from time of my mare foaling until the foal was weaned. i thought this was very fair. thanks nikki

I was boarding when I foaled out my first mare (full-size). It was a self-care facility and I was basically renting a 1/4-1/2 acre dry-lot pen from the BO; I provided all work and feed (they provided space and water - they were on city water, so wanted to be sure it wasn't wasted). I paid only for my two full-size horses while the filly was nursing; then when weaned, I was charged the price for another horse (during weaning she was in a separate pen for about a month, then the pen was needed for a new boarder, so she had to go back in with her dam and my gelding, all was fine). I'm sure if it had been a full-care facility, I would have been paying more for mare/foal, over just a single horse.

Well my point of view is this, with the information that you have given us with regards to the facility and their care. Get them out of there and NOW! You do not mention what she charges you a month for the full size minis and also don't mention what the added amount she wants to charge. If she is wanting to charge you the same amount she charges for each of your full size minis - RIP off. First off the foals are sharing a stall with their dams, no extra space is being used. The extra bedding will not be "double", the foals are nursing and eating minimally as well BUT they do require a good feed and I cringed when you talked about the lack of quality of hay. You say you supply your own grain - so no cost to the proprietor of the establishment. So the added grain requirement is no shirt off her back cost wise at all!!! Lactating mares require 50% more feed to start with and if they are not getting that or the feed (hay) is inferior and no grass to graze on), yes they are going to drop weight which is NOT a good thing. It is so very important for the mares to stay at a good weight because nursing alone will take alot out of them body wise. I say move them. If they were mine, I wouldn't hesitate to do it in a heartbeat. These are their formative years and they need adequate and good food and they need surroundings to minimize any possible accidents, good fencing, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I would expect to pay more for a mare with foal at foot, and I expect to charge more for the same as well...BUT...what were you told when you first took the (then pregnant ) mares there??

It does not sound to me as if any actual "work" is being involved- they are out on a dry lot, she is feeding hay- well, then fair would be to pay for the extra hay, NOT board on the foals, UNLESS she had specifically said "I charge for foals from four weeks old"

Since if I have mares and foals boarded I expect to have to halter train handles and care for the foals, Yes, I do charge.

There is NO way I would ever be in a situation where mares and foals were simply dumped in my field and I did not touch them, so that bit is irrelevant.

As to the fences, sorry, you knew the condition they were in when you went there- I am sorry to sound so unsympathetic, I really am, but you cannot expect me to sympathise when your mares have been there...how long??

If the fences are no good for mares and foals you should not have taken them there in the first place.

If you had expected pasture for them- and I would- you should have made a fuss a long time ago.

If she tried feeding oat hay to my horses instead of Alfalfa she would only do it ONCE!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Why could you not get Alfalfa Cubes and bypass the whole "what are they fed" thing at source (sorry don't know where you are but I do know everyone seems to be having trouble getting good hay so this is widespread and understandable
default_yes.gif
: )

You have my sympathy on your situation- it sucks when someone else is in charge, I know, but I would make the best of it and get out ASAP.

Having been to the place Jenn boards - she is paying more than it's worth for what the lady that runs the place does. She feeds very cheap oat hay (straw) and doesn't always give the grain that is provided. Jenn does muck her own stall/paddock too.

They're paying for a small dry lot, that was originally a decent size, but it was reduced in size with a covered shelter and one stall - this isn't deluxe setup believe me!

Jenn and her mom have done alot for this woman - when she (the owner of the boarding facility) was in the hospital after her horse had injured her again, they took over all the feeding, cleaning, etc., for her for a number of weeks. They also gone to shows and assisted her, covered feeding when she's away, etc., saved the life of her horse when it was cast under the fence this past fall, etc. It's really a nasty trick what this lady is pulling, but she is a bit on the greedy side.

As to getting the horses out - it's easy for some that live in a fairly rural setting, they're located in the middle of urban sprawl, so even crappy boarding is at a premium. I have offered to have them bring their horses here, but we're at a distance and she wouldn't be able to see them more than once a week or so.

I personally am not against charging for foals at side, but it should be spelled out in advance. The same for board charges changing. I adjust ours once a year starting in January, but still charge a minimum, as I'm not doing any training, etc. That needs to be in advance as well, not an oh by the way I'm charging you more beginning last month!

Hopefully you'll find a better place soon!

Latest posts

Back