Boarding situation need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I have been seriously considering moving my guys to a different boarding barn. I've kept all of my horses at the same place for years, and have a very tight knit relationship with my barn owner. I don't want any hard feelings I leave, and I think that's one of the reasons I stay there, along with the great rates I pay. I'm due to have our first little one next month, and I would really like to have the horses closer to home. Right now its a 30+ minute drive one way to get there. Also, over the years, the barn has changed a lot. They closed one of the barns (the nicer barn) and turned it into a garage. This wouldn't be a big deal, however it was the barn with the attached paddock that had fencing safe for minis. There is another turnout area outside, but I don't trust the fence to turn my horses out in it. I can see them easily escaping. There are two outdoor round pens that they turn horses out in, one was originally for breaking horses, and it has the solid wooden walls. Actually, Its made of a 6' dog ear type fencing (I think that is what you would call it) Over the years this has gotten pretty dilapidated, lost boards, etc. Due to the lost boards, my horses would be able to shimmy right out of it. It's a shame, this is a huge round pen. The other round pen is a small metal pipe roundpen, and currently the only safe outdoor place to turn my horses out. Unfortunately, there are normally other large horses out in the roundpen, so my horses aren't getting turned outside much at all. Maybe once a week if I happen to catch the roundpen open when Im there. Normally they seem to only be turning my horses out when they clean their stalls, and even then, its in the indoor arena, and not long. I was under the impression that my horses were being turned out every other day, which is what is on the turnout schedule, however Ive been to the barn a few times on days they are supposed to be out, and they are in their stalls, and full of energy, so I know they weren't just out. I have considered asking if I bought fencing supplies if the would let me put up a paddock, but at the same time, Im expecting that other horses would be put out in it, and may ruin a fence I paid for. Since I pay full board thats supposed to include some turnout, I dont really know If I should be paying to put up my own paddock since there was one there before, and they decided to take it down. I really need my horses to be turned out more, one is getting a little nippy, and I blame it on not enough turnout. If I were stalled almost 24x7 other than when being worked or my stall cleaned, I might be a little crabby too. This horse is normally a sweetheart, and he deserves better.

My horse used to be in a 10x10 stall, but was moved into a smaller 8x8 stall, which Im not crazy about. It does have a shorter door which he can see out of, but there's no room to do anything in his stall with him in there. Forget grooming him in his stall.

Also, my stalls aren't getting cleaned enough. Normally, I have to strip his stall 2-3 times a week, because its so small, hes in it so much, and it just isnt being cleaned enough. On one hand, for what I pay, again, I cant complain too much, but at the same time, they made the price, and it was to be full board, which includes stall cleaning.

The bathroom at the barn is currently out of order, actually found out its been out of order for a few weeks with no plans to fix it. Really inconvenient since its in a very rural area, and there isnt even a business within 10 miles with a bathroom to use.

The barn has a specific vet and farrier that they use, because both demand to be exclusive to a barn, and wont do any clients there if another vet or farrier work there. The vet I like, shes been my vet for years, even before I boarded here, and the farrier did great work on my big horses, but it's been a battle with the minis. He refuses to do the hoofs at the correct angle, sometimes doesent show up for a few weeks (hes supposed to be there every tuesday) and will then just do your horse the next time he's there. This really isnt convenient, as again, he isnt doing domingos feet the way I want them. I requested two different tuesdays off to be there when he is there to show him exactly what I want. of course, he didnt show either time, then the next time he was there I was at work, and he just did my horse how he saw fit, the same way he's been doing my horse the last few times. The horses stall has specific instructions for everything on it, down to his hoof angles and what length they should be. I know, my fault for not being there, but I didnt know he was coming that day after no-showing the 2 weeks prior. Now, Im paying $35 for a trim that doesn't look any better than when he started, and they dont want you bringing a different farrier in.

Now, the barn wasnt always like this, it kind of started "falling apart" when the barn owner had a granddaughter. I can understand shes getting older, and wants to spend time with her family. Also, she is getting older, and is doing everything on her own. I beleive shes right around 65, and has no help at all at the barn. she used to have someone who helped clean stalls, but they moved away, and she never got anyone else. she currently has a bad leg injury, and is struggling to get to the barn to feed and water, Im not sure how shes even cleaning stalls at all actually. I think that maybe the works just getting to be too much for her to do by herself, who knows.

I guess I know I need to be moving my horses, I just dont want any hurt feelings and dont want to ruin a friendship. I planned to say that with the baby coming, I wanted them closer to home so I could spend as much time as possible with hem and not mostly driving. I honestly dont even know how to bring it up. Shes been good to me for years, but I think its in our best interest to move on.

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the past few weeks I have been seriously considering moving my guys to a different boarding barn. I've kept all of my horses at the same place for years, and have a very tight knit relationship with my barn owner. I don't want any hard feelings I leave, and I think that's one of the reasons I stay there, along with the great rates I pay. I'm due to have our first little one next month, and I would really like to have the horses closer to home. Right now its a 30+ minute drive one way to get there. Also, over the years, the barn has changed a lot. They closed one of the barns (the nicer barn) and turned it into a garage. This wouldn't be a big deal, however it was the barn with the attached paddock that had fencing safe for minis. There is another turnout area outside, but I don't trust the fence to turn my horses out in it. I can see them easily escaping. There are two outdoor round pens that they turn horses out in, one was originally for breaking horses, and it has the solid wooden walls. Actually, Its made of a 6' dog ear type fencing (I think that is what you would call it) Over the years this has gotten pretty dilapidated, lost boards, etc. Due to the lost boards, my horses would be able to shimmy right out of it. It's a shame, this is a huge round pen. The other round pen is a small metal pipe roundpen, and currently the only safe outdoor place to turn my horses out. Unfortunately, there are normally other large horses out in the roundpen, so my horses aren't getting turned outside much at all. Maybe once a week if I happen to catch the roundpen open when Im there. Normally they seem to only be turning my horses out when they clean their stalls, and even then, its in the indoor arena, and not long. I was under the impression that my horses were being turned out every other day, which is what is on the turnout schedule, however Ive been to the barn a few times on days they are supposed to be out, and they are in their stalls, and full of energy, so I know they weren't just out. I have considered asking if I bought fencing supplies if the would let me put up a paddock, but at the same time, Im expecting that other horses would be put out in it, and may ruin a fence I paid for. Since I pay full board thats supposed to include some turnout, I dont really know If I should be paying to put up my own paddock since there was one there before, and they decided to take it down. I really need my horses to be turned out more, one is getting a little nippy, and I blame it on not enough turnout. If I were stalled almost 24x7 other than when being worked or my stall cleaned, I might be a little crabby too. This horse is normally a sweetheart, and he deserves better.

My horse used to be in a 10x10 stall, but was moved into a smaller 8x8 stall, which Im not crazy about. It does have a shorter door which he can see out of, but there's no room to do anything in his stall with him in there. Forget grooming him in his stall.

Also, my stalls aren't getting cleaned enough. Normally, I have to strip his stall 2-3 times a week, because its so small, hes in it so much, and it just isnt being cleaned enough. On one hand, for what I pay, again, I cant complain too much, but at the same time, they made the price, and it was to be full board, which includes stall cleaning.

The bathroom at the barn is currently out of order, actually found out its been out of order for a few weeks with no plans to fix it. Really inconvenient since its in a very rural area, and there isnt even a business within 10 miles with a bathroom to use.

The barn has a specific vet and farrier that they use, because both demand to be exclusive to a barn, and wont do any clients there if another vet or farrier work there. The vet I like, shes been my vet for years, even before I boarded here, and the farrier did great work on my big horses, but it's been a battle with the minis. He refuses to do the hoofs at the correct angle, sometimes doesent show up for a few weeks (hes supposed to be there every tuesday) and will then just do your horse the next time he's there. This really isnt convenient, as again, he isnt doing domingos feet the way I want them. I requested two different tuesdays off to be there when he is there to show him exactly what I want. of course, he didnt show either time, then the next time he was there I was at work, and he just did my horse how he saw fit, the same way he's been doing my horse the last few times. The horses stall has specific instructions for everything on it, down to his hoof angles and what length they should be. I know, my fault for not being there, but I didnt know he was coming that day after no-showing the 2 weeks prior. Now, Im paying $35 for a trim that doesn't look any better than when he started, and they dont want you bringing a different farrier in.

Now, the barn wasnt always like this, it kind of started "falling apart" when the barn owner had a granddaughter. I can understand shes getting older, and wants to spend time with her family. Also, she is getting older, and is doing everything on her own. I beleive shes right around 65, and has no help at all at the barn. she used to have someone who helped clean stalls, but they moved away, and she never got anyone else. she currently has a bad leg injury, and is struggling to get to the barn to feed and water, Im not sure how shes even cleaning stalls at all actually. I think that maybe the works just getting to be too much for her to do by herself, who knows.

I guess I know I need to be moving my horses, I just dont want any hurt feelings and dont want to ruin a friendship. I planned to say that with the baby coming, I wanted them closer to home so I could spend as much time as possible with hem and not mostly driving. I honestly dont even know how to bring it up. Shes been good to me for years, but I think its in our best interest to move on.

Any advice?
Time to move on.Even though the price may be cheap, your horses are not being well cared for.I would tell the owner exactly what you posted here.I am sure you will find someplace closer that is more suitable maybe even a place that has their own Minis or ponies and set up for small equines.Good luck.

Regardless of how you feel on a personal level, you are paying for a service and that service is not being provided up to the standards that were once implenmented.

Unless you have an extremely close friendship with her, you need to step back and look at things from a bussiness standpoint.

It is apparently not just a matter of saving money at this point, but rather a safety /quality of life issue when it comes to your equines.

Your paying the fees, your working for your money, you have every right to choose how and where it is spent. Sorry, I am particular about my minis and, weather providing, it would not cut it that mine stay inside almost 24/7.

It is better to get this straightened out before your little one comes rather than to be too distracted with what life throws at you once he/she arrives.

Just my two cents, been there with the kids and juggling schedules, thankfully mine are almost 13 and 6 now, I've gotten things down to a science.

I don't think anyone could fault you for wanting to have the horses closer to home. That's a long trek to be working with your horses.

You would be with them more often if they were closer
yes.gif

I planned to say that with the baby coming, I wanted them closer to home so I could spend as much time as possible with hem and not mostly driving. I honestly dont even know how to bring it up. Shes been good to me for years, but I think its in our best interest to move on.Any advice?
You've got the perfect excuse right there, so I would suggest that you use it. If she gets upset because you're moving your horses for that reason, then she will get upset over any reason you give! Find another place to board, make your arrangements there and then give your notice & move your horses. You can leave without making any comment about the care (or lack of care) your horses are receiving and all should be good.

I think you know what needs to be done, and I think your reasons are clearly justified. People move out of boarding/renting situations all the time.

Just say that with the baby, you need to move your horses closer to home, and that's that!

Andrea

We've pretty much made up our minds that they have to be moved. The Barn owner has become a good personal friend over the years, so I dont really want to say anything to ruin a friendship, I think my best bet is to just say we are moving them closer since we will be juggling time with the baby, and will have someone else watching the baby while I'm at the barn. The friendship is one where she has been to my wedding, baby shower, graduation party when I graduated high school, holiday picnics, etc, and Ive been to her and her family's events as well. i think that's a good part of why we chose to move them instead of confronting her on the issues and requesting them be fixed.

The low rate isnt a factor, its simply why I didnt expect a super fancy barn (although when I started boarding here, it was a pretty busy show barn). The rate is why I didnt expect bells and whistles, but I wont jeopardize my horses safety, health, and well being to save a buck.

Ive been looking into the closer boarding barns, theres one about 3 miles from my home, but they dont have mini safe fencing, so I would have to put up my own fence, and they want $385 for board. That price is a bit out of hand for a mini, being that normal full care board at barns in my area is about $250 for what they provide. I did find another place, about 15 minutes away, that has a stall currently set up for their 10 hand pony that they think would be safe for a mini, and it has an attached private pasture, they said that they could move that horse and I would be able to have that setup for my horses, since my horses cant be turned out with big horses. They said their stalls are 12x12, so I assume this stall is too. They have in indoor arena, outdoor arena, heated and air conditioned kitchen, lounge, and tack room, automatic fly spray system in the barn, indoor wash rack, and a few other nice things. I think we are going to go take a peek at this place Monday. Ive been there before when a relative boarded there, but its been years, and I want to check that everything would be safe for minis. It's also a good price, its $125 a month for a mini.

Im going to PM you contact for a GOOD farrier over in PA, i'm not sure how far he is from you but he has trimmed for me at shows and was out here recently to do all of my miniature horses and shetlands. His name is Joel Rosenstern and I will send you his information, he is willing to travel and does wonderful work, he owns shetland ponies.

Seems with your baby coming, you have the perfect excuse without hurting the barn owner's feelings. Hope that the $125 board barn works out for you.

Since you like the vet who works for your current facility, perhaps the vet would give you a recommendation for another vet in your area. I'd get more than one name, if possible. Then, ask the owner of your new barn who they use. It would be really nice if there was a cross-reference.

If I was you I would probably use the pregnancy excuse to
yes.gif
. I hate having those type of conversations. My grandma boards and really needs to increase her rates
new_shocked.gif
.I wish you luck and congrats on the baby.

I was wondering, if I do decide to switch to the barn with the attached pasture, how should I go about introducing my guys to the pasture? They haven't seen grass in ages, and I worry about just turning them out on it. Even when turned out outside, Ive never kept them on grass as they are/were show horses. I haven't seen the pasture yet, so im not sure how lush it is, but i worry about them foundering etc from the grass.

Should they wear grazing muzzles for part of the day, if no, what would you do? If you use a grazing muzzle, what has worked well for you as far as durability and safety? I normally dont turn out with a halter on, so that aspect of a grazing muzzle worries me. I guess I could use one attached to a break away halter if I decided to go that route.

It seems that you've made the decision to move your horses and IMO it's the right thing to do. Just wanted to point out that you just might be doing her a favor by moving them. At 65 if she's trying to do everything herself (not to mention an injury) she might be happy to have fewer critters to care for. It's possible that because of your friendship she's been reluctant to approach you about it.

I was wondering, if I do decide to switch to the barn with the attached pasture, how should I go about introducing my guys to the pasture?

I start with one hour a day for a week, then increase slowly after that. Keep the grass mowed down to the nubs helps reduce the chance of founder.

I agree its time for you to go but I also would be concerned about your friend's feelings. Ease her into the idea and let her know your thoughts about moving so she will have time to get used to it. And also if I were 65 and still doing this, I promise you I'd be in over my head and need help too. Perhaps you can suggest she find a boarder that will exhange barn and farm chores for board. Maybe you can help her find someone like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, I have forgotten how many horses you have?

The grass question depends entirely on how big the paddock is, how many horses you would be putting on it and how much grass there is in it, as the pony may well have kept it grazed right down. Be careful cutting grass, newly cut grass can have an awful lot of sugars and proteins in it, it reacts to being cut, but not to being grazed.

Thus, if the paddock is an acceptable size, and the grass is not belly deep, I would suggest strip grazing it with a hotwire, and letting them graze at night, all night, first, as they will eat less at night.

If you turn them out on good grass for an hour they will stuff themselves like crazy, and blow out.

If you give them free rein on less grass they will graze more sensibly.

Good Luck with this, it is a huge step, I know, but I think you are right to take it.

I am about the same age as this woman so I feel justified in telling you that she is offering a service and taking money for it, but not providing it.

Yes, her reasons are valid, but she should really have discussed this with you, not continued to take the money.

She is obviously a friend, so the way you are doing things is the kindest way out of what will soon be an intolerable situation and really, you should not be worrying about all this at this stage in your pregnancy, you should be stress free and relaxed, if not for your own sake, then for baby's!

Latest posts

Back