blue roan coats - questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
Regarding Blue Roans....

Will my horses have the same colors each summer and also the same colors each winter as their coats adjust to the weather? They were both a lovely silvery at the end of summer and are now almost all black. My older mare has a lot of reddish brownish black which her previous owner told me it was due to her age (18) and I wondered if this is true. Her daughter has much more silver.

Would anyone mind posting some pictures for me of their Blue Roans in both seasonal coats?

I will have to dig for my pictures but yes they look very different according to the season. When they shed out in summer they get very light but keep the dark head and legs. Then in winter they get very dark as the winter coat covers up the lighter hairs.

I will say a lot of people mistake other colors for blue/black roan. There are a lot of sabino horses out there that get mistaken for roan. And some silver based horses also get mistaken for roan

Kay

I love blue roans!!

This is my mare Layla in the summer (clipped)

lala%20close%20(2)%20web.jpg

This is Layla in the Fall. You can see the black hairs starting to come in.

layla-1.jpg

The black horse in this photo is Layla. In the winter she is a very inky black but when she moves or the wind parts her hair the silver undercoat shines through.

Nostalgia.jpg

This is our guy at the age of 18. In the winter he is jet black with 3 inches of hair. We shave him for showing he just has the most awesome color. We have owned him for 8 years and his color has lightened some over the years. He truly is a diamond in the rough under all that hair.

DSC07757.JPG

My stallion is a blue roan. I got him for Christmas in '07 (first mini). He arrived looking like a little reddish/blackish buffalo. The previous owner had already found the "blue" in the fur and had to change the registration from the original. When he got his spring "haircut" some of my neighbors thought I had done some HORSE TRADIN'.
default_new_rofl.gif
I have noticed this winter I can see a blue streak down his back even in all the fur. Still from a distance he looks almost black. But this spring he will once again get his wardrobe change. Getting a blue roan out of the gentic mix is not easy. Lucky you/lucky me! Somewhere I have some papers I printed off a website that give tons of info on blue roan and WHAT NOT TO CONFUSE IT WITH. I will hang on to your post info and get the info to you when I find it. Blue roans rock
default_488.gif
. Mine is such a neat little refined guy. My farrier tells me he has absolutely the most perfect conformation he has ever seen in a mini. One day I hope to get him in the showring. For right now I am happy that his first get will arrive 2010!
default_new_multi.gif

Jennifer,
Layla is stunning and her blue eye is icing on the cake!
default_wub.png

Thanks! She is a very pretty mare. She is expecting her first foal with Cross Country Call Me Awesome. I'm hoping for a blue roan overo.....thats a tall order!

We have a beautiful ARC mare that is blue roan and love the color change. Just wish that she would throw that down the line a little more often. We're hoping that crossing her with our Tibbs stallion Flair, they'll make it happen this time.
default_biggrin.png

Roans are ever changing, as their color DOES change with the season.....and I find that fun!
default_yes.gif

Here is a dark "Bay Roan" mare I raised here.

This is her color in the spring after her first shed (or clipping)

QueenieTrotRight.jpg

Here is the same horse in her "transistion" stage (in between her spring & summper coat) I call this her "blue corn" stage.

QueenBlueCorn.jpg

Here is the same horse in late summer

QueenieMane.jpg

And in winter....almost entirely black. (she is the dark one in front of the pinto mares)

MaresDrink.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back