Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think she looks like a silver dapple, aka silver black. But, looks can be deceiving.....
default_yes.gif

I had a palomino that looked like a silver bay, so much so that I had her tested - twice! I thought they must have made a mistake when they tested her. She was a Palomino, negative for silver.....

You've got a beautiful silver black, there. They come in a lot of different shades and that's one of them, which is why so many silver blacks used to be (and still are) registered as palominos.

I was looking at pictures on google and the photos of other silver blacks (the lighter ones) look a lot like her in the summer. Do all silver blacks change color in the winter?

They change week to week it seems lo

They change week to week it seems lo

I agree! Every year her summer coat gets lighter or darker, or more dapples or less dapples. Sometimes she is more grey, and the next year it will be more brown. She is so confusing! I've been telling people that she is just her own unique color!

many of you here will remember Absolut , hes been tested as Black with one copy of Cream and two copies of Silver .,I have pics here from Pam , taken when he was around 3 yrs old , he looked Palomino

221766_4930483334620_865690702_n.jpg ,

as he aged he got darker , this is how he looked when I bought him at 8 years old

EQUI1121.jpg

hes now coming up to eleven and this is him last September

1239375_10200958929030172_1347995031_n.jpg

admittedly hes clipped in the pics but it does go to show what amazing colour changes these Silvers can go through

I, too, have some tested homozygous silver mares that look palomino during the winter. They are both lighter overall - but they also live out 24/7 and I've found that the minute they are fully shed out they also fade. They are both heterozygous black.

13mar8be795.jpg

12may20lrt776.jpg

And then there is this filly..... Both of her parents are tested homozygous black. Sire is homozygous tobiano & heterozygous silver, dam is heterozygous tobiano and silver. I'll show her older pics first...

13aug23bun910.jpg

13aug8bun762.jpg

And here is what she looked like when she was born...

13apr02kfilly073.jpg

I love the silver dapples! They are always different colors and constantly changing...

So here is a colt, too....

He's not chestnut.

13dec28dand717.jpg

Roflol!!!

I tested a couple that I didn't know the colors of. I put question marks on the colors I didn't know for sure and then dropped a note in the envelope too. No problem. I usually got my results back on color testing w/i 48 hours via email - once they received the samples.

I find color testing is pretty exciting!!

I vote for silver black, commonly called silver dapple...

Latest posts

Back