Blue eyed horse question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I have recently begun a search for another mare/filly. While I do have size and confirmation requirements that the candidate must meet, I have no limitations on colors with the exception of double dilutes and greys.

I did mention that blue eyes were a plus.

What my question is, based on a few responses I have had is......

If a mare has the genetic make up to produce blue eyes are the chances increased of her producing blue eyed off spring when bred to a double dilute?(lets say overo pattern somewhere down the line but she has no dilute genes at all)

My idea is that unless there is a hidden coat pattern in there on the double dilute, then the answer is no, she has no greater chance of producing blue eyed offspring than if she was bred with a non dilute horse.

Please let me know if this is the correct line of thinking.

While my blue eyed liking is not a must in my quest, it is a plus as long as everything else is there to go with it.

Carolyn

It is all hypothetical, my double dilute is on the gelding band wagon anyhow, I am just very curious to get some input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea. But, I did get a blue eyed baby out of dark eyed parents (who's parents where also dark eyed).

I don't know, but I do not think breeding a non-dilute mare to a double dilute stallion would increase the chances of blue eyes. I think the blue eyes in pintos and the blue eyes in double dilutes are from two different causes. If the mare were buckskin, palomino, smokey black, then I'd think that does increase the chances of the offspring having blue eyes, but only because they may be double dilute.

I don't know, but I do not think breeding a non-dilute mare to a double dilute stallion would increase the chances of blue eyes. I think the blue eyes in pintos and the blue eyes in double dilutes are from two different causes. If the mare were buckskin, palomino, smokey black, then I'd think that does increase the chances of the offspring having blue eyes, but only because they may be double dilute.
They were my exact thoughts on the matter, it was just one of those things that made me go hmmmmm?

Depends on what is causing the blue eyed-ness, which one can usually tell by looking. If it's a double-dilute, it's obviously that, but see the thing with them is that double dilute often covers soooo much other stuff (LWO included). If it is not a double dilute and has blue eyes, they are either caused by Frame or Splash. If you breed a double dilute to anything, it will only have blue eyes if they make another double dilute. If you breed a Splash to a double dilute, the chances of blue eyes are not upped at all because of the dilute blue eyes. The only way you really up the chances of getting blue eyes are breeding two splashes together. or a splash x frame. Not by breeding two Frames together. and remember horses can and do carry multiple pinto genes, so one could be obscuring another. must be very careful with breeding blue eyes.

And I would NEVER breed ANY blue eyed horse without testing for lethal white. Especially breeding two blue eyed horses together!

good luck in finding a mare.
default_biggrin.png

Blue eyes on double dilutes and blue eyes on an overo (whether it be frame or splash) are two different genes.

The mare must have some overo gene in her pedigree to make her have the blue eyes and if she has them, and carries that gene, then she has a 50% chance of throwing a blue eyed (carrying frame &/or splash foal) regardless of the stallion she is bred to.

Just a thought, if she isnt a double dilute, i would test her for LWO before breeding her to any other overo stallion.

Goodluck
default_smile.png

Ok, here is a picture of my black mare with one blue eye, Night Lady..

She has just a few white hairs on her forehead, look more like sabino roaning there, no other white anywhere, the left eye is blue.

NLpic6reduced.jpg

NLheadpic5reduced.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of the foals she has had since we owned her, both have the same sire , he did not have blue eyes, he is a sorrel pinto with "heavy" sabino roaning carrying tobiano also.

Both of these foals have TWO light "crystal blue eyes."

Missy

Missy506.jpg

Night Drivier,

Driver707ed.jpg

My thought is that I don't "think" splash or frame overo with Night Lady or the sire so I am attributing those blue eyes to sabino.

Of course I haven't tested Night lady either but she sure does make some gorgeous blue eyes.

She's bred for 08 after having 07 off and we always look forward to her foals.

My thought is that I don't "think" splash or frame overo with Night Lady or the sire so I am attributing those blue eyes to sabino.

Of course I haven't tested Night lady either but she sure does make some gorgeous blue eyes.

Sabino itself does NOT cause blue eyes!!! The only things that do are splash and frame, so your mare must carry one of those. If she is bred to a pinto, just beware of the LWO foal possibility. Just because it hasen't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabino itself does NOT cause blue eyes!!! The only things that do are splash and frame, so your mare must carry one of those. If she is bred to a pinto, just beware of the LWO foal possibility. Just because it hasen't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't.
I agree!
default_yes.gif
Blue eyes are associated with Splash or Frame only. (except the ones you get with a double dilute).

Latest posts

Back