Blizzard!! Video Added

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
It started at 9 pm. It is horrible outside to put it mildly. We are expected to get over a foot of snow with drifts 6'-7' high. Poor horses will be in their barns locked up tight in their stalls. If we let them out it will take days to find them as they are only 3' tall! Please everyone stay safe and off the roads. They said if you get stranded, you will freeze to death with the wind chills being -10 to -20 below zero.... Prayers for all 14 + states that will be affected.....

This is from this am.. Poor Art got his face scratched up from the blowing snow and wind, our Coyote LOVED IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is NASTY! We're being coated with ice and wind 30 MPH up to 50 MPH. And it's just started.

If we lose power, we will be without ANY heat and without water.

We were without power for 14 days last year and I couldn't take that freezing inside my house again.

High wind scares me.
default_unsure.png

Keep safe everyone! If no one hears from me, you'll know why.

Stay warm up there, and be careful. We have storms & wind moving in about midnight, but the bitter cold will hit us tomorrow evening. 3 or 4 nights in the low to mid teens, something we very rarely see down here, and probably snow later in the week. Certainly not looking forward to it, but I know it is much worse for many of you....

Jan

We are to get about 12-17 inches here in Ohio, it started last night and going until Wensday! That is a LOT of snow for us...along with about 1" of ice.

Everyone please stay safe and I hope you all come out of it with no damage (like last year)...I really don't know how you all do this year after year...When Oregon had its record snowfall 2 winters ago, I was "done"...When we went to Florida that spring, I basically said "OK, THIS is where I am supposed to be". I can't imagine going thru snow storms several times a winter and lots of snow and ice at a time...YIKES!

Again...stay safe and don't go out unless you HAVE to (even then why would you?)

The 50+ mph wind woke me up at 530 am. I shuffled into the livingroom, and what do I see?? SNOW IN MY LIVINGROOM AND KITCHEN!!! The wind blew the snow thru the windows and door jams!!! I tried to open the west side door to let Okie out, not happening. The snow has the door blocked. The north door is snowed shut too. We are stuck inside till Art can get the doors pushed open. Not going to complain to much,still have power. Everyone please stay inside and be safe

It's bad here too. It started about 10 last night with heavy sleet then changed to snow. The wind is blowing about 30 mph and it is snowing hard. right now it is 12 degrees with a wind chill of -7. We aren't mmoved yet so a trip to the farm is coming this morning. We are taking clothing and food and going to be ready to stay at the farm until this blows through. Thank God we have a 4 wheel drive truck and it is only 3 miles to the farm. My boss actually called me this morning at 5 am to tell me to stay home. The horses are all fine, they have a round bale in the barn aisle and that was where they were all camped last night.

It's bad here too. It started about 10 last night with heavy sleet then changed to snow. The wind is blowing about 30 mph and it is snowing hard. right now it is 12 degrees with a wind chill of -7. We aren't mmoved yet so a trip to the farm is coming this morning. We are taking clothing and food and going to be ready to stay at the farm until this blows through. Thank God we have a 4 wheel drive truck and it is only 3 miles to the farm. My boss actually called me this morning at 5 am to tell me to stay home. The horses are all fine, they have a round bale in the barn aisle and that was where they were all camped last night.
Mary please be careful driving in this. Cars are stranded in the 5' snow drifts. They don't see them till they are stuck in them. This is just horrible weather....

Last night they were saying we would still be in the low 40's this morning.....it's already below 30 at 7 am with a wind chill of about 15, going to be a long cold week! Bundling up now to go feed, wishing I was on vacation somewhere warm!

Jan

We are -16 right now. 40 MPH winds. We had tons of sleet cover everything, then got pelted with enough ice crystals to white the ground, then it started to snow. We have white out conditions right now. It's NASTY!

I pray we don't lose power!! Hubby had to stay home from work.

He just went out to check the horses and to make sure the water heaters are working.

I was the one that posted all those pics of the heavy damage we had last year. I hope we don't have a repeat of last year.

Stay safe everyone! Sis, I hope Art was able to get the doors open!

The snow started here about 5 this morning. They're predicting 18 to 22" for us with 4' drifts. The ice didn't get real bad; there was a thin sheet of ice everywhere yesterday morning but the freezing rain slacked off fairly early in the day. I don't know whether to lock the horses up or not. I've never been one to do it because I think they'll feel the cold more if they can't move around to stay warm and my barn isn't insulated. Wind chills predicted at -25 tonight. For those of you in this storm's path I highly recommend that you get out and stock up on whatever you need early. Evidently stores around here sold out of a lot of things pretty far in advance of the storm.

Stay warm. Stay safe.

I am so sorry for everyone. This has been a horrible winter. We are expecting what is hitting you right now tonight. Good Luck everyone stay safe.

Here in Norman, the temp is 8* with winds of 35mph sustained with gusts to 50 mph making windchills -20 to -25. Need to get bundled up and go check on the horses and make sure the water heaters are working and give the barn horses and stallion pens more hay. I was out in this for over 3 hours before this came in last night.

Just heard from Jan Tobey out in El Reno and she says it is absolutely brutle. She has 4 ft drifts in one area and of course she is haveing to walk to all the horses as the golf car will get stuck in the drifts.

Guess I better get bundled up and get out there. The faster I get this done the faster I can get back in the house and start a nice fire and stay in utill time to feed this afternoon.

Please everyone be safe, make sure to take you cell phone with you in case you slip and fall and need help. Let a friend or neighbor know when you go outside and about how long you will be gone and call when you get back in so they won't worry.

Wish me luck--be back later.

Well, that's it. Our pipes are frozen. No water.
default_sad.png

Most of our cats went to the barn. Looked out the kitchen window and a cat was plastered against it, covered in snow. Went out there and I thought she was dead. It took a lot of talking to wake her and get her to walk through the deep snow (and being blasted with snow) to come to me. There's a roof under the window which she was on. Her tail was frozen sticking straight out! Poor Delilah! I brought her in and started to cry. I'm so worried about all my babies. Thank God the elect is still on so their waters are heated. No idea how hubby is going to get hay out to them all. Can't walk through the snow let alone pull a wagon.
default_no.gif

I pray everyone stays safe!

Everyone be safe, we too are suppose to get alot of snow...about a ft and a half over top of the already 2ft. We are not very cold here though compared to two weeks ago when it was -21 at night...our furnace thermostat failed and our pipes froze...had to replumb the whole house, just got water on a couple days ago. I am so sick of winter!

The 50+ mph wind woke me up at 530 am. I shuffled into the livingroom, and what do I see?? SNOW IN MY LIVINGROOM AND KITCHEN!!! The wind blew the snow thru the windows and door jams!!! I tried to open the west side door to let Okie out, not happening. The snow has the door blocked. The north door is snowed shut too. We are stuck inside till Art can get the doors pushed open. Not going to complain to much,still have power. Everyone please stay inside and be safe

Oh my God that is terrible!

I remember Reo being without power seemed like forever last year.Be careful about the vents in the house being blocked up. Carbon monoxide.

It is snowing pretty good here but the bad storm (that your getting)is supposed to come in tonight and tomorrow.

I don't like the wind.

Again I am so lucky I have an inline generator that kicks in when the power cuts off for something like 60 seconds.

Lets try to keep a watch over people on here. Try to check in.
default_wub.png

We are supposed to get more ice than snow in our county. We have about 3/8" ice so far and now it's turned to ice pellets. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the gates open to feed this morning. The ice is weighing down my electric tape fencing. I think I'll have a fair amount to replace when this is over. Butter and Puddin are locked in the barn but the others are still free to come and go as they please. The wind is terrible and causes the ice pellets to really sting when they hit my face. Thankfully the horses seem to understand they need to stay inside. The barn cats are staying in the garden shed thankfully. It's about 15 degrees without the windchill. The snow is supposed to start tonight - that will be fun on top of the ice!
default_no.gif
Estimates for when it's all over are 1" of ice and 8" of snow for my area with temps tonight and tomorrow -5 degrees.

Reading all this I am really getting nervous. We had flurries last night that stopped (No. IL) and then started with the wind at about 20-35 mph this am. Can't tell how much is snow and how much is wind now at 12:23 pm (Tues.). The wind is getting worse I believe. I put the horses in last night. This morning I fed, watered and cleaned stalls. We don't have heated water; but the barn is fairly well insulated and small. I am worried about getting to the barn (little house on the prairie?). There's a 40 acre field around us to get lost in. I think I will struggle out to the barn when I'm done here and see if I can rig up a line from the barn to the long 3-car garage (where it's most open). My husband mentioned it last night and I think he was half serious then. My other biggest worry is my 31 yr. old live at home son. He still thinks he can get anywhere!!! I surely hope he has more sense than I even think he does! He goes to work at 5:30 am and I'm hoping they tell them not to come in tomorrow! (The TV is saying don't go out after 5 pm tonight or tomorrow morning. We have a wood stove; but with too high of winds I hope we can light it (my husband uses a blow torch! LOL I think) and we do have a gas powered small generator. For me personally-I think it's time to go to prayer. As the others have been saying-stay safe all!

Well, we are at the tail end of the storm now. Still snowing, but not as heavy as it was. Poor Art and Okie went to the barn this am to feed, and got his face scratched pretty bad by the blowing snow and wind. He had to drag Okie in the house, she loves this kind of weather. We have snow drifts that are 5"+. They are saying not to go outside because of the wind temps -15 to -20..Reo, hopefully your water will come back soon. Im sure I won't make it to work tomorrow either.

Reading all this has made me feel alarmed and agitated. It sounds awful. Take care everybody and goodluck.

Personally....... I think I'll stop complaining about our heatwave now.

Latest posts

Back