Blind Dog- When do you put them down?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ashley we had a Cocker that was blind for over 10 years. She developed glaucoma in one eye at age 2...had surgery at the all Animal Eye Clinic in Cincinnati...removed the inside of her eye, replaced it with a 16mm black ball. Following year...same happened to the other eye...another surgery. So both eyes were prothesis. She did fabulous...most visitors had no idea she was blind. People would wave their hand in front of her face like are you sure she cant see? We did fence the front of our house so she could outside. She knew her route, knew the lay of the house and her yard. If you saw her get around you'd never think she was blind.

When she first lost her sight...we would voice guide her through the house and outside...like coaching her to learn to be alert to obstacles. If we'd move things...and she headed towards them...I'd say "EH" and she'd pull up and find her way around.

Incredible when one sense is weak..another sometimes compensates...for her...she listened and had a keen sense of smell. She could find crumbs on the couch where I ate a cookie better then my cocker that CAN see now! LOL

I wonder if your dog is bumping into things because she's loosing her sight...not all the way blind yet...so her other senses havent really kicked in to guide her yet. Percy lived to be 12 yrs old, we had her put to sleep due to lymphoma. Even though she was blind...she was such a treasure...and I miss her so much.

Here is Percy buff/white (Mercy, Mercy Miss Percy was her registered name)(buff/white) also pictured is Skippy Tu (black/tan) who had knee surgery when this was taken.
skipperc.jpg

This is Percy with Molly (black/white) who was about 6mo in this pic.

mpch.jpg

Ashley, if she is unhappy and isnt adjusting, you will know when. However, blind dogs generally do amazingly well. You just need to think of her as a toddler and adjust the house accordingly. My ol boy Dallas, was diagnosed with a genetic blindness at about 6 years old. He lived a great life untill something else took him at 12. That boy didnt know that he was blind *-) He LOVED going riding, the car, the truck, horses and 4 wheeler, anything. He learned many news words, up/down for stairs, left/right, easy and lookout! We take it harder than they do, believe me. There are many groups and sites online for support should you desire.

On a side note, Katiean
default_no.gif
that was uncalled for

I skipped a bit so forgive if this has been suggested. If she has trouble with the outside steps you can make a ramp just off to one side of them so she can walk up and down easily.
default_biggrin.png

You can also tack a strip of that sandpaper type stuff ( its made for steps) on the edge so she will feel when she is close to the edge.

I never thought about a ramp. I could also adjust the dog fence. Right now we just have cattle panels for fence but I am hopeing to afford chain link next year. I could adjust it to include the side stairs which is only 5 of them verses the 20 or so down the back.

thanks for the ideas. I do beleive she isnt totally blind yet, and her nose works wonders! We cant put anything like food where she can get. In fact she ate a xmas present last year.

I do beleive she isnt totally blind yet,
That's a huge plus...get all of your changes done now...that way she'll get used to anything new while she can see and hopefully she'll remember when her vision fails.

Theres nothing to change right now. The house is set as it is as it is pretty close to baby proofed because of my daughter. The basement isnt done so that is something she will have to learn later. HOwever the walls are up and she knows the rooms, just dont have the stuff in them where it will be.

I think all she sees at this point is shadows but, I am working with her. Luckly she isnt overly hyper (unless we play catch) so when she does run into things its not hard or fast.

She'll be just fine...she already has the one thing she needs to adapt...she has YOU a wonderful, loving doggie momma
default_wub.png

Our outside dog Trouble was blind for 3 yrs from 9 to 12 when she died. She got around pretty good including being in with the mares who looked out for her because they l think knew she was different and needed to be careful around her and even when foals were born we introduced them to each other...when they were feeling frisky and running all over she'd lay under the cattle trough till they settled down. The only time she was afraid and nervous was when a storm was brewing then she'd be by the back door under a chair till it passed.

Latest posts

Back