Blanketing foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

It is 35 degrees out here tonight, and I have a mare and foal in their foaling stall. The foal is 2 days old, and

The foal is shivering, but is bright, alert and happy

We have a heat lamp out there, but it just doesnt seem to do the job...

I have heard that you should not blanket the foal unless temps are extreme..... Sooo? Any ideas?

Am I safe to blanket this little guy?

I just hate to see him shiver..grin

Thanks!!

Blanket him if he is shivering.... and hold your hand under the heat lamp at the foal's level to chack for heat and make sure it is low enough.

Our little 4 day old guy here is blanketed (and warm) - and it is in the low 30s tonight.
default_yes.gif

Blanket him if he is shivering.... and hold your hand under the heat lamp at the foal's level to chack for heat and make sure it is low enough.

Our little 4 day old guy here is blanketed (and warm) - and it is in the low 30s tonight.
default_yes.gif
Ohh good.... I just went out, and put one on.

He is happy and warm now

I have heard so many things about blanketing foals, I just was second guessing myself. I have never foaled one out this early
default_smile.png
They have all been born in warm weather. LOL

If they are shivering, they're cold. Blanketing is the smart thing to do. My foal born Tues morning is wearing a blanket. If your foal is too cold, he won't nurse as much and could go down hill. Glad to see you put a blanket on him!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back