Black tongue?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullockcorner

Reaction score
O.K, I've been wondering this for a while now, and finally thought, "Who better to ask than my LB friends?"
default_yes.gif
I first noticed this, this past spring when I was messing with one of my mares, and checking her teeth. I about freaked out when I opened her mouth, and not only was her tongue black, but her gums too!!
default_ohnoes.jpg
Scared the you-know-what out of me at first.
default_new_shocked.gif
I immediately checked everyone else (I have 16 minis total), and several of them (probably 7 or 8) had varying degrees of coloration on their tongue, teeth, and gums.
default_thud.gif
Now - everyone seemed perfectly fine otherwise - eating, drinking, pooping, playing, bright eyed. So, I relaxed and figured it must be some plant in the pasture. I have a 3 acre, 3.5 acre, and (2) 2 acre pastures that my biggest batch of 8 horses rotate between. I've asked several horse people, and no one seems to know, but I have a sneaky suspicion it might be cockleburr plants. We have been doing our best to irradicate them, but man, are they resilient!! And, yes, I know the cockleburr plant has some toxicity. The other day, I had my vet out, and asked him about it, and he says, "I was hoping you could tell me!" Yeah, I should have posted pics of one of them, but just didn't think about it until now. Anyway, anyone have any ideas? Like I said, they all seem perfectly fine otherwise. Thanks.

I'd call another vet! for a second opinion for sure.A quick google has revealed that it is likely to be the saps in flatweed, that occurs at this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I also googled it, and found there are other horse people that have mentioned this, and have found no satisfactory answer. That's why I turned to you guys, LB people always seem to have a wealth of knowledge and information. Just to knock out a few things: no, it is NOT dark green like rich grass or manure eating; no, there are no bare places where they have licked dirt (they have mineral blocks too); and, I haven't changed their diet with exception of the season changing the type and age of forage).

I have several horses that have blackish gums...not sure their tongues are ack at all, I haven't really looked at tongues--I can't say yours are the same but in mine this is simply their normal coloration. Some horses do have dark gums.

Thanks to both replies so far.....
default_yes.gif
I think Briarwood might have hit close to the mark - at least SOME sort of plant. Minimor: no, it is not my horses' normal coloration in this instance, although I too, have seen darker colored mouths from pigmentation. Hopefully, someone else will have some ideas, and I'll keep watching my horses!
default_wacko.png

This happened to me a long time ago with one of mine. Not sure at all but I think Dumor minerals was the cause at the time. It went away though about as fast as I noticed it.

Latest posts

Back