Black saddle soap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izmepeggy

Reaction score
I'm new to driving and I'm having a local leather shop make bridle pieces so I can train with out the blinders. He told me on black tack NEVER to use anything but the black saddle soap.I didn't even know they made black saddle soap..lol..He said using the other will effect the black die on my harness..I need in put..Thank you

I've been cleaning tack for more years than I care to count out loud but I haven't heard of black saddle soap either. Is 'black' a brand name or the colour of the product?

He said the saddle soap came in white,yellow and black.All made by Fiebings.. I googled it and sure enough he was right. But,you have to order it on line.Boy,you learn something new every day..lol

I have never heard that. I just use Murphys Oil Soap on my harness diluted with water. Hasn't affected the color at all. Still black as when I purchased the harness 6 years ago.

I have some, and have used it. It's been awhile, but as I recall, it worked just fine. I have one set of Smuckers black leather Pleasure harness that I used for showing with my Meadowbrook; that's the only thing I used it on, because my 'breed' show harnesses were Lutkes, and mostly patent...saddle soap wasn't used on that!

I got mine before the days of 'order online', so not sure where I got it...probably ordered the 'old' way...by mail!

I do remember that it was someone quite knowledgeable about harness that told me it was best to use the black on black harness.

Margo

Good question, I have heard of it and have been on the lookout for a few years but have not found any
default_sad.png
Not such a big deal since we switched to synthetic harness.

ME

I've never had black tack before.My riding saddles have always been Light oil or Dark oil.So Margo I will take yours ( and the leather shop owners) advice and order some..It wouldn't hurt. Thank you everyone for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I may have to look into finding some, I have had no problems with the Murphy's Oil Soap but over time I could see the dye being faded on black leather. Might be worth having some on hand for the show harness.

I have used black shoe polish on an older black leather harness and it did a great job, the better (more expensive) brand have a better colouring compound.

Just goes to show that now matter how long we've been around we can always learn something. Never heard of black saddle soap. I suppose the light is more readily available is because of the riding saddles. I was always in big horses before. I do know that whenever I clean my harness with the Bick cleaner that black comes off on the rag....not just dirt.

I love Bickmore products.I have been using it for years on my saddles..It is recommended for use on all Circle Y saddles,which I have..And we are never to old to learn new things..I know the Black saddle soap was a new one to me..lol.

So does the black saddle soap leave any residue that would come off on a pinto, grey or white horse? I have never heard of black saddle soap before interesting read!

We still first have to find black saddle soap before we can find out if it will stain the horse
default_smile.png

Found it at www.fiebings.com only available in 12 ounce for $10.50 or 5 pounds for $42.50

So who is gonna try this?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just like regular saddle soap..You use it the same way as any saddle soap..Mine is ordered and on it's way..My friend at the leather shop says he uses it on all Black tack and recommends it..I ordered mine from Smith Brothers.. 12oz. 4.99. Shipping 6.95 for total of 11.94..They were the cheapest.I should get it next week and tell you,but,I don't think it would stain a horse.

I found it on ebay also! I will wait for the staining report before ordering any. Thanks for being being the crash test dummies on this one girls!

Iowa Valley Carriage carries the Fiebing Black Saddle soap. She has it listed on her website listed at $7.95 a tin.

Got the black saddle soap today..Let me tell you a little history of my harness.I bought it off Craigslist for $35. because the breast collar and traces were missing..Has patent leather on the saddle and blinders.It looked like it sat in a barn for a while.The guy I bought it from said it was in the barn when he bought his place. I cleaned it up and have been using it for training..At least I THOUGHT I cleaned it up..But, after using the black saddle soap on it I will NEVER use the other saddle soap again on it..It made that much of a difference..Am I saying everybody should use it? Probably not..I'm just going by MY experience.And Barnmother,I have no idea if it would stain or not..I have a bay pinto but doesn't have a lot of white on him..I did use a sock to apply it and some got on my hand but washed right off..I just wished I'd taken before and after pictures.But again I wished I had new batteries in the camera,it's dead..lol.

Latest posts

Back