Black or Russet??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
After trying and trying to get the used harness I bought to work for Major I've finally decided it's never going to work. I think the saddle is to narrow for him (Draft type) and everything is a little too big. I've made some extra holes in a few things but some things I can't make smaller and it still doesn't fit him. I think it's safe to say it's for a B mini. The headstall is way to big. When it's at it's tightest he can drop his head and it'll fall off.

That being said, I want to get him and I some training help but that'll be pretty hard without equipment that fits. So I'm looking at the pleasure harnesses from Ozark as they are so highly recommended here. My big question is Black or Russet? I'm one of those who likes to march to the beat of a different drum so the russet appeals to my "be different" nature. My car is just a basic EE with black tubing and a black seat. It does have a wooden floor. Would the russet look okay with my cart and my horse??

CIMG0662.jpg

C221448-55_pic2_C221448-55K-2.jpg

This is my cart from Kingston Saddlery

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with black if you have any thought of competing. Russet is only okay with natural wood carts/carriages. You could always liven up the black harness with colored vet-wrap and then take it off at shows.

What a cutie you have. I think the black harness would look better. You know, you can add conchos of your own choice (try e b a y) or whatever else you like.

I don't compete and am actually using some silver conchos that I had purchased for a saddle to dress up my cart and harness. I had to give up big horses but I didn't have to give up my bling! No reason my mini shouldn't look all special!

Black would be better with a black cart. One a resale value, I think the black would be easier to sell too.

Black...I had my heart set on russett with brass fittings until someone told me that the sweat can make the color uneven and needs attention to make it look even again and that brass can be a pain to clean too. I am very pleased wih my custom better fit black harness I got from center square harness in pa. I chose stainless fittings too. Your baby is adorable and will look nice in black

Well after the replies here and some input from hubby I've decided that you're all prob right and black would be a better choice. Thanks to ^^ post for mentioning that the russet can take more upkeep. I am all about simple.

Here's a tip when ordering a harness from Ozark, measure your horse and give them the measurements just in case. They'll be able to get you a custom harness if necessary but their harnesses tend to run bigger because it's for both A and B miniatures and my larger A's you have to take it up all the way. Nice harnesses though. If you are wanting something for a particular size I really recommend the Mini Express harnesses. They come in XS, A size, and B size and they are reasonably priced.

Black...I had my heart set on russett with brass fittings until someone told me that the sweat can make the color uneven and needs attention to make it look even again and that brass can be a pain to clean too. I am very pleased wih my custom better fit black harness I got from center square harness in pa. I chose stainless fittings too. Your baby is adorable and will look nice in black
I have a russet harness and haven't experienced that problem, I use it to show and to work in. However what happens with the russet harness once you oil it it does get darker. So my real nice russet harness is still nice but its more like a dark oil harness now. I've used a russet for showing in western and worked really well other wise definitively go black all the way.

Latest posts

Back