black eyeliner? Are foals born with or it can it develop later?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimarron

Reaction score
My sabino overo colt Cimarron's I'm Incognito too (son of Redrocks Incognito) looks like he is developing black around his eyes. He is a yearling. Is that possible? Sheila
default_smile.png

No, they can be born with light colored skin and darken later, HOWEVER, it normally changes within days of birth. I have never heard of it changing as a yearling, but I suppose maybe anything is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they can be born with light colored skin and darken later, HOWEVER, it normally changes within days of birth. I have never heard of it changing as a yearling, but I suppose maybe anything is possible.
Sheila, I agree with Mona.

Rita

I agree with Mona too....however, I HAVE seen some Sabinos acquire more & more "freckling" as they age. It would have to be an awful lot of freckling tho, to create a true black "eyeliner" look.

Thanks for the replies! Actually calling it black eyeliner is probably not right. When we clipped him off last year he had lots of spots, markings on his skin so it is probably just more of that and with all the white hair around his face the dark around his eyes just stands out more. I havent had any recent pix of him cause our weather has been so wet and snowy this year. It is snowing heavy right now so I probably won't be out to see him again for a few days! Wheelchairs and snow and mud don't mix! Thank God for my husband!
default_rolleyes.gif

What we have seen here is that the eyeline of the sabino horses, like what you see in this photo of one of our stallions, is present at foaling.

topcat3.jpg

Latest posts

Back