Black (Ee, EE) verses Red (ee)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladydoc

Reaction score
Now that we can easily and inexpensively determine the genotype of a horse, I would love to see other peoples pics of their genetically tested horses. Phenotype (what color they look like) isn't always easy to determine in miniatures and I would sure welcome input from everyone who has tested genotype (EE, Ee,ee). Personally, I think Bay vs sorrel is one of the hardest. Post your pics and results. Thanks!

To me sorrel/chestnut verses Bay is easy.
default_laugh.png

Maggie was tested way back when and is Red ee,, so is Theia.

Maggie.. Did not test her for Sabino but she does have Sabino ticking ... same with her Daughter Theia. Maggie is a medium dark Liver Chestnut when she isn't sun faded. Mixed black and blondish Mane and tail.. Some Liver chestnuts can make people think they are bay.

Maggieeatingshinygoodjuly06.jpg

glamermaggie4.jpg

Theia

theiafoal.jpg

theiaafterbath1july06.jpg

It is hard to see but Theia also has a mixed black and Blonish mane. Her tail is just red and white.

Theiainsnowdec07small.jpg

Theia when she was 2 years old.. can see her black muzzle.

Theiahead04.jpg

This web site is pretty good at talking about the shades of Chestnut.

http://www.equinecolor.com/chestnut.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It is all about the testing. Phenotypically they can be deceiving.

Here is our yearling Pacific Dove. She tested EE. She appears to be solid white. That is due to her having three pattern genes. She has no visible black on her.

[SIZE=10pt]Dove has tested positive for the Frame (LWO), Sabino (sb1), and Tobiano genes. Her agouti test was Aa, so she is either a bay or brown. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]She is also tested Homozygous for Black EE (she can never have a red foal no matter what stallion she is bred to).[/SIZE]

dove1.jpg

Testing is the only CERTAIN determination of genotype. Phenotype (what you see) is deceptive, because there are other factors which determine what you see visually.

This is our homozygous black (EE) stallion, Circle S Aces High, who will always produce black as a base pigment. This could include smoky black, bay, grullo, buckskin, silver bay, etc., depending upon the other factors.

image045.jpg

Interesting he has produced many different black-based colors. Here's a silver-bay filly whom AMHA registered as a palomino, Loess Hills Aces Silk N Sassy. Dam is a red roan who carries the silver dilution gene. You can see she has the darker lower legs, which developed as she matured.

image035.jpg

image149.jpg

Ace has produced many black and bay pintos, even when bred to a solid-colored mare..........although he is heterozygous for Tobiano. Here are a few:

image033.jpg

image024.jpg

image018.jpg

image115.jpg

We're making a concerted effort to test all our adult horses and each foal as they come along. I'll probably run out of money, before I run out of horse test subjects!
default_laugh.png
It's fascinating to trace and watch the different genetic factors in each horse.

Ee and no OLW. Obviously aa, so didn't test for that.

casi5.9287.jpg

Ee no grey.

chianti448-3-8.jpg

Here's my crazy (color) girl... she is tested Ee Aa Zn Crn

cocoa6-7-8.jpg

Ee aa Zn no cream

confetti36-6-8.jpg

Ee aa Zn no cream

craigcruiserdressage209-12-8.jpg

Obviously ee, so didn't test. aa ZZ no OLW

ruby6.9287.jpg

Obviously ee, didn't test. aa

sage126-6-8.jpg

Ee aa no cream no silver no OLW

spintrot41-20-8.jpg

Ee AA (just realized I wrote it wrong on my website, oops!) no OLW

trackertrot3.jpg

And just to show how crazy coats can be... this mare is black, not bay (purebred FPS/FHANA Friesian) who loves to stand in the sun and bleach
default_sad.png

radisaddle78-15-8.jpg

Her coat before bleaching

radi435-25-8.jpg

Jessi

This is one of my newest mares. I thought for sure she was a silver bay, with as dark as her mane is, but nope, she tested ee

ClassyUse.jpg

ClassyHead.jpg

DSC01179.JPG

Here are two of my boys, both tested Ee, Aa

Both were assumed ee, by their breeders

Sapphire Tested out as ee Aa LWO N/N

She has a Pretty Blonde Mane and Tail but she has Silver and Black

Hairs Mixed in Possibly Carries Silver?

Sapphire08.JPG

Then this is her half Sister Jazz who Tested out

ee aa LWO & Silver N/N and she's Homozygous For Tobiano

Jazz is a Different Red then Sapphire.

Jazz08.JPG

Then This is Jadis but I'm not sure if she is Silver Bay or Sorrel

Once I get some extra Money I will be Testing her for just about

Everything
default_wink.png
Any Guesses lol on her color?

Jadishead08.JPG
Jadis08.JPG

Our stallion, SRF Buckshot

Obviously ee, so not tested, Aa, no silver (his dam was silver black), LWO negative

Buckshot5_07.jpg

Mare bred to him, Jones Call Me Blue Admiration:

EE (they can't have a red foal!!!), Aa, silver, LWO+, and obviously gray, but genetically a silver bay, (gray) frame overo

Mira_Pinto_05.jpg

She got the silver and gray from Blue Boy and the LWO (and blue eye) from Rowdy/Cross Country Call Me Awesome (well, that is just a guess.. can't know for sure)

This is my stallion, Dealer. He is EE, Aa, Tt, carries cream. Not really any surprises there.

dealer24.jpg

This is Lucky, my Jr Stallion. He is ee, Aa, Tt, Zz, carries sabino and is LWO Neg. I have since decided that I want my breeding to lean towards the buckskin/blacks. So may not be using him for breeding. Depending on how he matures I may be using the next little stallion instead.

luckyme10.jpg

This is Moonie, my other new little stallion. He is out of a grey mare, but has tested neg for Grey. He is also Ee, aa, Tt.

5daysold8.jpg

This is one of my yearling mares, Whispy. She tested EE, aa, LWO Neg and Negative for tobiano which was surprising as both her dam and sire were loudly marked tobiano pintos.

whispy29.jpg

This is my other yearling mare, Glitter. Her pic is in my avatar also. She is genetically a silver bay testing Ee, Aa, TT, Zz, and LWO Negative.

glitter9-1.jpg

And last but not least, this is Cherish. She tested Ee, aa, Tt, LWO Neg. Not really any surprises here either.

cherish9-1.jpg

I have a couple others that I want to get tested, but am waiting for extra money to just be found laying around the house! Yeah right! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back