Bite going off on a weanling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
I know with my puppies bites can occasionally go off for a short time then return to correct, as well as those who stay off
default_rolleyes.gif
What has been your experience with a young horse who's bite is about a quarter to half a tooth off? What about if you are selling the foal? What if you are retaining it as a show/breeding animal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I have had this happen too, and most of the time if they are born right on, they come back to it. I have also had babies who appeared off when born, when there teeth come in (first ones in a couple of weeks) they are right on.

In any case I have all my babies checked by a equine practioner prior to them being 6 months old. Most of the time (except in rare occasions), this can be corrected with a simple float usually on the front teeth. Many times the teeth are simply to large/tall for the mouth and get caught on each other as their mouths grow - and when this happens it prevents the jaws from growing correctly. Sometimes only floating will help and must be corrected as soon as possible - preferably during the first six months, since the babies grow the fastest during that period of time.

The equine dentist/practioner should be able to tell if it is something that needs correction, or will correct itself.

Good luck,

Thanks so much Beth! I will do that - his bite was on until he was 3 months old. He is sold and leaving for his new home soon but I wanted to know what to expect.

I wouldn't worry until they are 2 on bites being off - babies grow, heads grow, throws their bite off. My Ringer (Hackney/Shetland ASPR pony) had a bad bite for 2 months. He was about 4-5 months old, now he is 7 months old, I looked at his bite last night and it is dead on. But I know he is not done growing, so I expect it to go off again before he is two, all my ponies have.

As Trace said Bites can go off and on......but I would have this weanlings teeth floated. In Humans if someting hold your bit off for too long it is like doing manual ortho. That is what I have done for years, dentistry. My belief is, if can happen with them, why not us?

Thank you,

Ellen

Agree with Beth........

His first year - especially the first 6 months is important.

Over the years, we have had many discussions with Carl Mitz on this exact topic.

Carl has shared that as a foal grows, often the upper and lower jaw will not grow at exactly the same rate - so is is possible during the growth phases that the foal will have slight variations in the bite - and these slight variations will almost always totally correct themselves. Think of the concept of a foal growing in that the rump (back end) grows first - then the withers(front end) catches up.

There are situations as others have mentioned that as the foal's teeth start coming in problems can occur that need "immediate" attention - so a 6 month foal (sometimes earlier if you notice significant issues)dental check up is always a good practice just to be sure everything is in line and lining up correctly.

Latest posts

Back