Bio Sponge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
I just picked up a tube of Bio Sponge at my vets office

I was wondering if anyone knows the dose for a 6 wk old miniature foal

there are no instructions by weight on the tube

Last edited by a moderator:
The tube doesn't have marks?

If not, it's a single dose syringe... But for a full size 1,000 pound horse. So, I'd guess like an eighth of it for a mini foal!

Not sure of the correct dose but I always gave my foals 5cc once a day till their stools were normal. I believe my vet may have said 10cc but it just seemed like such a large amount...

Thanks everyone- I just went out to the barn and gave her 5cc's

she seems pretty good during the day outside because when she comes in the stall at night with mom it appears to have cleared up

but the last to mornings its back and she had the runs gave her pepto then

but wanted something better so I picked up the bio sponge today after work

That BioSponge is good stuff! Sounds like you have the dosing information here already, and I don't remember from our prior usage... I did want to give a small tip if it's something you will need more of, or for others reading. When I got it, I ordered it in powdered form from the manufacturer. It's a much better "value" but the oher good part is it will keep FOREVER in powdered form. It's a sincere PITA to mix up, but a great price and the benefit of having probably a decade or more worth of it on hand if you need it. When we mixed it up because it is such a pain, I would mix a bunch of syringes at once. Makes a big mess!!!

Do you have a salt block that she can get to? If so she might be over doing it and licking to much. I have a mare that has had two colts for me and they both seemed to LIKE the salt block way to much. It gave them the runs. I have learned now to put it where the mares can get it but it is hard for the babies to reach.

BioSponge is good stuff!

Latest posts

Back