BHR: Would you sell someone a horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhea

Reaction score
This could be related to minis or big horses, but right now I'm in a "situation" and we're not quite sure what to do. We've had this pony for sale for ages, and yesterday someone came out to look at her. I got the impression that the horse didn't like them - she even tried to bite one of them and she hasn't bitten in years. But they really want to buy her and want to get her asap. I just had/have this gut feeling not to sell this pony to them. Has anyone been in this situation before?? And if you have, what did you do? The people were obviously very knowledgeable, so that was no issue...just as I said, this gut feeling. My mom was here too and she got the same impression. So now we're not sure what to do! Any advice??

One way to go about it is to ask them for a list of References including a letter from their vet. I’ve been in your shoes before. I had a bad feeling, because the horse didn’t like the people. I didn’t end up selling her. I was scared that she wouldn’t get a good home, because she didn’t like the people. When I asked them to bring me a list of references, they backed out. Another thing to do is ask if you can see where she’s going to be kept at. You want to make sure the place is safe. Some times that will do the trick. Good luck.

I would just follow your gut feeling.. And if the horse didn't care for them on the visit, it wouldn't want to live with them.. Animals can sense things, Just listen to your heart and YOUR horse..
default_yes.gif
:

How far away do they live? Is it possible to get them to come out and spend time with her a few times, or if she is a riding horse to maybe take a few lessons on her? If they dont live really far away they should be willing to do this.

Ask them for 2-3 professional references. Maybe 1 from a vet, 1 from a farrier, and 1 from a trainer or other horse person.

Inquire as to how they plan on keeping her and what their setup is. How many horses they have had (if they have had quite a few in only a couple years I might be leary)

I agree with the others. Trust your "gut" .... AND your horse.

MA

once the horse is gone you cant get it back
default_rolleyes.gif
: i personally wouldnt
default_sad.png

The horse gave you your answer right up front and personal!

Believe her,

Bonnie

Yes I have been in that situation and have not sold a horse because of it. I'd much rather have the horse go to someone that will care for and treat it right. If my horse give me signals that they don't like a person or family then yes, I personally would reconsider this specific sale.

Nope!!! I sure would not!!!! If you can't trust your "gut" then what can you trust!!! I agree that she showed you your answer!! :bgrin

Leya

I have been in your situation, and was offered a very good price for a mare ...my heart and gut said NO...I followed it and was so glad I did. I seen there animals about 6 months later, and it wasnt what I would of waned for any of mine. The homes are so much more important then to just "make a sale". TRUST YOUR GUT FEELING. Corinne

Well, that does make me feel better. My friend says I'm crazy to pass up but I guess we have very different philosophies. This pony definately has serious attitude issues (from her history - bought her from a stock auction, she wasn't weaned, the people just took her without her mother) and I really worry that most people won't understand her. Me and her have the exact same personality so we get along famously
default_wink.png
:

So brings us to the next question, for those of you who've done this: how do you tell the people it's not going to happen?! They struck me as the type that'll be very offended..
default_unsure.png
:

I would be nice, up front and honest. I look at it this way.....as long as I'm courteous about it and to the point, I can't control what they will say/do or if they get offended. As long as you don't have to live with them.......

Nope. If my gut feeling is there, and my animal feels the same... that's confirmation and I would know, something isn't right. Wouldn't do it.

~Karen

Follow your instincts! I've sold a horse when I felt uneasy about it, but didn't listen to my gut because the people said all the right things before the sale. I lived to regret that, big time.
default_sad.png
I won't do it again.

As for what to tell them, just tell them the truth-- you don't believe that they and the horse will be a good mix, and you don't want them to regret getting her after they realize it. And don't let them talk you out of your decision, it's yours and only yours to make.
default_yes.gif
:

Never. You KNOW this isn't right for your horse and that should be absolutely the only thing that matters. Given her background it would be a betrayal to pretend you don't hear her and knowingly send her into a bad situation. Good references or not it is a bad situation if your horse has negative reactions right from the start. You would end up regretting it, never doubt that.

Horses are honest like little children- they just call things like they are with none of this human rationalization nonsense. You've got your horse, yourself, and your mother telling you this would be bad. How much more reason do you need? :no:

Leia

i would just tell them that its not time to let go yet, and that you havent dissconected from the horse enough to see it go, that way your not lying, and i wouldnt care about someone being offended , i would worry more about the horses feelings than theres, as a horse is defencless {sp]

Latest posts

Back