BETTER TOP LINES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinck43

Reaction score
This has been my most challenging part of conditioning my horses. I have them on 2-3 C Strategy(depending on horse0, 1/4 C oats, 1/2C alfalfa pellets, 1/2 C beet pulp and grass hay. The get worked (weather permitting) 20-30 min. a day.

I check their body and have noticed that 2 seem to be lacking weight on their top lines. Any suggestions? thanks

Lack of weight on the topline is usually a sign of not enough protein in the diet, or possibly essential amino acids (lysine is the main one, but also Methionine and Threonine). You could increase the alfalfa pellet portion of the diet to increase protein, it usually has enough of the essential amino acids in it; or you could add an amino acid product, either straight lysine or something like "Tri-Amino" that has all three in it (I've bought the Tri-amino at SmartPak).

I have seen a topline improve after dental work. Part of the digestion process begins in the mouth; the teeth and jaws must work properly. Perhaps they have caps unshed or other dental issues. Besides good protein, teeth are the next thing to check.

More protein needed.

I would cut out the oats (what you're feeding is negligible anyway) and substitute the Strategy. I would feed a lot more alfalfa to increase the protein. Our grass hay in CA is pretty high in protein but I'm guessing yours is not.

I don't know how big your minis are, but mine got a pound of alfalfa pellets twice a day average for 34-36" minis in addition to a pound or two of grass hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on their age, if it were me, I would add more Beet pulp, at least 2 cups soaked to start with at each feeding.

Chiropractic work can sometimes make a difference too.. I have a little gelding who is just not built with a great topline, but he improved by about 70% in one session. His pelvis was dropped and I could see the change in front of my eyes when she adjusted him, Just another part of the puzzle..

Jan

I don't know how tall your horse is or how old--and I am not familiar with strategy feed as it isn't available here. I use Frontrunner, either 12 or 14%.

To round out the top line I give 1 lb each of Frontrunner, oats and alfalfa pellets plus three flakes of hay, which makes 4-7 pounds of hay (grass mix) and that is two times per day for all of it, per horse. If I have good alfalfa mix hay then I feed that and cut out the alfalfa pellets. That is for 32-36 inch Minis, yearling to adult. My taller ponies get the same except their hay is more like 7-8 lbs twice a day.

I don't use beet pulp --have never had much use for the stuff and so don't use it.

thanks for the suggestions. I will increase alfalfa and beet pulp and some grain.

My feeding program includes Strategy, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp and black oil sunflower seeds w/ grass or alfalfa mix hay. My top lines are always nice and filled out, even on my stallion.

I would increase the the Strategy, alfalfa pellets and add beet pulp.. Drop the oats you're feeding. BOSS helps add some extra fat too.

You might try changing to every other day workouts. Most mini's don't need worked every day. Of course that depends on how strenous your workouts are too. Sounds like you've gotten some great advise!!

I am feeding roughly five times, maybe six times as much as you twice daily to two 32" horses, fine build. I have just got them what I consider to be right. I just do not think you are feeding enough, simple as that.

I am feeding roughly five times, maybe six times as much as you twice daily to two 32" horses, fine build. I have just got them what I consider to be right. I just do not think you are feeding enough, simple as that.
My thoughts exactly.

I am surprised at the amount I feed my minis in comparison to those mini people who feed a handful to a couple cups.

My 3 minis are a 35" 2 year old gelding, 31" 3yr. old mare, and 32" 9 yr .old gelding. I take them on a 1 1/2 mile trot which takes about 20 min. I am more exerted then they are. I am always afraid to feed to much protein because of kidney issues. I feed a little bit of oats for some extra crunch. thanks for all the advice. I added more alfalfa and beet pulp to his 3 C of strategy(2 yr. old) and he hasn't finished it. the others did.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do your feeding consist of?

I feed a mix I make up myself of beans, peas, soya meal, barley, flax. To this I add alfalfa pellets, alfalfa chop, grass chop and soaked beet pulp.

Weighed wet, (and I drain everything I soak of excess water and molasses) a feed I split into two feedings will weigh up to 5 kgs ( 11lbs approx) They graze six hours a day and I exercise them for half an hour a day. One is a working stallion, the other a gelding.

Neither is even approaching fat, this is the colt:

000001xround500.jpg

Oh, the gelding is in there as well! The gelding is the bay base...

Back