Best Ways to Advertise a Stallion? Requirements for mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen many ads for stud service on Equine.com, Horseville.com and the like. You can post free ads to those sites and picture ads for not much money at all. Don't know where you live but in our area there is also an area wide farm publication that takes ads for not much money. Other places to post ads are local tack shops and feed shops where local people are looking. However, I have never seen any local miniature getting more than a couple of hundred dollars for a stud fee. Many ads say 50.00 or 100.00. That's more typical. You do have a beautiful boy and I wish you much luck as you start your adventure with minis. They are amazing.

BigDogs, I just had professional photos done, sent my horse to a top trainer to hopefully show next season and it's definitely a big expense. I had to think long and hard before I ventured into that area of miniature horses. Took me a couple of years to decide.

Agreed! Also, who are some good photographers? Who are some good trainers? I have worked with professionally picturing cattle, so I understand just how important a perfect photo is. What are photos that would sell you on a stallion? Obviously a good conformation shot, but what else? (Cows are boring to picture. Just a side shot and maybe an udder picture!) Also, I understand a claim to fame however, I just think its stupid to have no exposure before showing. All too often, I will look through big horse magazines, see stud ads, then at shows have an "o hey, that's such and such, he really IS sharp" moment. I think that is an effective marketing tool, and needs to be used with showing. An ad not a show record will stand alone to sell a stud imo.

Professional photos: $200 +

Full color ads in magazines: $200 +

Trainer: $300/month+

Show fees: $100 per show +

This is just to start, the longer or better quality you want (bigger ads, better trainer, more classes, more photos, etc) it easily adds up. This is why it's often cheaper to buy a made stallion with show record and proven foals on the ground for your own mare... Unless you are promoting a stallion of your own breeding and have to foot the costs.

Only you can know how much money to put towards promotion of a stallion, and have faith in the level of quality in the horse. But it will affect the stud fee (who wants to pay a $200 stud fee to make a foal that will sell for $600 after a year of mare care and vet fees?) that you will ask for.

I'd flip through the breed magazines.. If a photo catches your eye either the photo or the ad will have photographer credit. Hire a photographer whose work you like.

Same thing with trainers. What wins may not be the style of trainer you get along with, so go to shows and watch or interview them. Nationals or World is the best place, since they'll all likely be there... Or your area/regional show. I know who I'd hire, based on my experience at nationals.

There are many wonderful trainers and I'd follow DisneyHorse's advice. Also, there have been threads on here about trainers. As to photographs, look at some of the miniature horse websites and see who did their photos and then contact them. I think prices also are somewhat dependent on your area of the country.

If I were looking for outside stud service, I would want a stallion who has a stellar pedigree, stellar conformation, has wins in the show ring in halter and has winning offspring on the ground. I'd also want the owner to be someone I personally like and whose reputation I respect because I'm entrusting them my precious mare. And I'd want that owner to be working towards the betterment of the breed and be really choosy about the mares they allow to be bred to their stud.

I think because there are so many people who own miniature horses, you'll find many people looking for different things and there's room for everyone. Best of luck with your beautiful boy.

Newbie question alert - does anyone do AI for minis? It hasn't been discussed on this thread yet, and I'm curious.

Catsie... Yes there is AI for minis but due to the cost, you will usually only see it in very high end breeding operations. In most cases, the foal is not worth the money involved in ultrasounding, collection, inseminating, and shipping.

I just wanted to say that there are mare owners who are interested in outside stallions.

I've thought about breeding to an outside stallion for a couple years now and if I had the right mare I most certainly would. I know that the only way for me to breed to a stellar stallion is to found one outside because owning one would be out of the question for many reasons.

They are out there; just few and in between.

Back