Best Place to Color Gene Test?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
I want to get my guy tested for roan, splash, frame, and silver, maybe a few more. He has some pretty funky colored babies! Which lab is the best "bang for my buck"? Who do you use?

Animal Genetics out of Florida (horse testing. com). I chose them not just for cost but they are "close by" and I loved the fact that they send test results back first via email usually w/I 48 hours... I also have several others listed on our Links page. Florida doesn't do some of the testing - in fact, I don't think I've seen any one lab that does all of the testing. They don't do roan or brown testing.

As of last fall when I was last looking - only one lab, out of Arizona, does the testing for BROWN. Brown is similar to bay - same set of agouti genes. Bay is known as Aa or AA and brown is known as At/At or At/a.

UC Davis does roan testing.

Here is a new website (to me) that covers genetics of colors across several species besides horses AND has new updated info regarding the Tobiano coat pattern as of 2013... http://colorgenetics.info/equine/beginning-genetics-1#sthash.K6ksIlFy.dpbs They also have a very comprehensive dictionary of color terminology across all equine breeds, very interesting.

Paula- Thank you for that GREAT link. This will be helpful for our 4-H Club. And Imagine my surprise when I clicked on the newest gallery image that looks like a mirror image of the photo below of OUR filly, to find that it is an example of a minimal homoyzygous tobiano, which our filly was just tested to be!!!

Luna_cropped_1.jpg

Paula- Thank you for that GREAT link. This will be helpful for our 4-H Club. And Imagine my surprise when I clicked on the newest gallery image that looks like a mirror image of the photo below of OUR filly, to find that it is an example of a minimal homoyzygous tobiano, which our filly was just tested to be!!!
Well if you were surprised imagine my surprise...that minimal tobi is... my lil man!
default_wub.png
Picture is when he was a weanling and owned by Frank & Charlotte Lupton. What I find fascinating is that most of his siblings are also minimal tobiano and marked very similar.

And Thanks Paula for the link. Some great information.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are welcome!

I learned a lot myself and got some color questions of my own answered while researching while the rain came down yesterday. I try to go thru and update (physically check) my links on a regular basis. Color links change a lot. I did find a site that had several links to different "color testing" colleges - but all I came up with when I checked each of those was vet/health links that didn't allow me to get out to the color links. Some of those were interesting too...

I really enjoyed some of the pics!

Mary - you sent in tail hairs on your two, correct? And before you did their registration papers? I've always done my testing after getting papers back and this year I'm having a really hard time getting some "decent" pics for registration (rear & front shots - finally got some side w/ all legs offset and head turned to face me). I asked about a couple of mine and was told that they wouldn't work, so after our 25th wedding anniversary, I'll just spend time siting in the pasture to take pics!

You guys are welcome!

I learned a lot myself and got some color questions of my own answered while researching while the rain came down yesterday. I try to go thru and update (physically check) my links on a regular basis. Color links change a lot. I did find a site that had several links to different "color testing" colleges - but all I came up with when I checked each of those was vet/health links that didn't allow me to get out to the color links. Some of those were interesting too...

I really enjoyed some of the pics!

Mary - you sent in tail hairs on your two, correct? And before you did their registration papers? I've always done my testing after getting papers back and this year I'm having a really hard time getting some "decent" pics for registration (rear & front shots - finally got some side w/ all legs offset and head turned to face me). I asked about a couple of mine and was told that they wouldn't work, so after our 25th wedding anniversary, I'll just spend time siting in the pasture to take pics!
Be sure to get the roots, that is what they need to test.

Yes, I sent in tail hairs (with roots) and just put their barn names on the forms. I really wanted to know what color Jake was and if he was H/Z for pinto and then on a whim - since I was mailing the hair in anyway - I decided to pull some from Luna (after going in and washing my hands). What a lovely surprise!! I know I did that for Max in 2009 and for Bunny last year - in both those cases I needed to know if they would turn gray (answer - yes for both, except Max didn't live that long.). I take a ton of photos but the ones that I usually have to get special are the ones from the rear. But I do have one of Luna from the rear already!

Latest posts

Back