Best pairs book/instructional item

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiologyBrain

Reaction score
Which of these books/guides (or a better suggestion) would you recommend for learning to harness and hitch a pair? I'm using collar and hames-style pairs harness:

1) Putting-To a Pair (Allen Photographic Guides) [Paperback]

by Caroline Douglas , Sophie Adkins, Amanda Bulbeck

Or

2) Driving Horses: How to Harness, Align, and Hitch your Horse for Work or Play [Paperback]

by Steve Bowers, Marlen Steward

?????

I'm kind of leaning towards 2) because it looks less showy and more work-like based harnessing/driving on the cover and the title.

The harness is a miniature-sized nylon version of a draft horse work harness. I've tweaked/cheated the harness to drive single. The 2 minis I'm going to pair together have been driven single for about a year. They've both been trained to drive as a pair, but not together. I've got a forecart with an exchangeable pole/shafts. I've never driven a pair, but I have plenty of single driving experience - both with these minis and other full sized horses (including a Belgian with a similar harness).

Thanks in advance!

Don't know! Haven't seen either one. I haven't seen much on pairs in any of the pleasure or competition driving books - was really surprised how little info and pictures there are. Was pointed towards a couple of books and was really disappointed that they didn't cover what I was looking for as far as driving pairs/multiples. BEST is to find an instructor, to be honest...

When did the one by Steve Bowers come out? I have his other one - Farming with Horses. It's great and covers working with single, pair and multiple horses with line illustrations and with good pictures. If I'm thinking right, he also has a video that does show how to harness and hitch. I have to wait to go thru my DVDs as my hubby is asleep in our room - where they are stored. DARK...

Other than that - I consider the two by Lynn Miller to be the "Bibles" of driving with pairs and multiples - even though they are meant for driving draft horses they cover SO MUCH info that it's unbelievable! (The Work Horse Handbook and Training Work Horses/Training Teamsters). Go to either Amazon or Rural Heritage to check out these two books. Even on sale they aren't in-expensive.

I have Putting to a Pair. Lots of good info. I refer back to it often. I'm now going to check out the Steve Bowers book.

I have number 1, putting to a pair. it is loaded with good info. i needed to read it twice and still keep it around for reference. have fun

If you are using the heavy draft style (collar and hames like a draft horse wears) the books etc. that Paula, PaintPonylvr suggested would be the best. They show how to put the harness on, size, adjust, hitch, etc. Plus the driving and problem solving stuff for that style. Putting to Pair IS an exellent book. I really like how it explains working with the reins, whatever the style harness you are using.

I thought I'd looked at Putting to a Pair, but obviously not. I don't remember all that...
default_yes.gif

Is this the one that is the in-expensive drawn picture type book or is it something else?

Other than that - I consider the two by Lynn Miller to be the "Bibles" of driving with pairs and multiples - even though they are meant for driving draft horses they cover SO MUCH info that it's unbelievable! (The Work Horse Handbook and Training Work Horses/Training Teamsters). Go to either Amazon or Rural Heritage to check out these two books. Even on sale they aren't in-expensive.
Which is better for learning to go from single driving to team? I've got limited $$ & would like to just buy 1 book for now.

Well, up at Horse Progress Days 2014 in Mt Hope, OH, I got to see the number 2 book. It is a revised, updated version of Farming with Horses by Steve Bowers. It's awesome!! Has all the previous photos and write ups with many additional and new ones of both.

I thought about getting it - but decided that right now there were other things I needed, since I have the original version with a different name. However, it's on my "wish list" - and could come to me via gift from family & friends or just as a gift to myself at a better time.

He does address working with pairs - to include possible problems and how to fix them.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Rural Heritage website and even their forum. There are quite a number of members who have draft style ponies (the "true" draft type/size) and then there are quite a few that use minis, shetlands (like I do), small donkeys and mini mules. You can follow what others write up and then can post specific questions when you are ready. The magazine is great too.

Latest posts

Back