Best grain for a wealing/yearling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
I commonly hear that Strategy is the best feed for young and show miniature horses. It is 14% protein.

I also commonly hear that large, potty bellies are cause by the individual horse not getting enough protein.

My question is how much protein is idea for weanlings/yearlings? How much is too much protein – or is there such thing?

Locally there are three feed that I feel would be acceptable. I am currently feeding the 14% pellet feed(similar to Strategy but with a high % of fiber). There is a 15% (Jr.) feed and a 16.5% feed. The 16.5% feed is titled “Maternity” and suggested for foals and lactating mares. If high protein is desirable, would moving over to the 16.5% feed for my weanling/yearling be ultimate plan? Will too high of protein intake affect joints, legs or hooves?

I feed my foals for at least 6 months with the 16% mare and foal feed, as it has everything the fast growing babies need. I sometimes keep them on it for a full year if I am keeping the foal for myself. I've never had any trouble from the protein levels and i dont get pot bellied foals either.

Not an expert here, but I fed my wealings 16% feed until they were a year when I moved them to Strategy. I've been very happy with how they look following this protocol.

It really depends on what else you are feeding-what is the protein content of your hay and anything else they are getting? My foals-2 yr. olds are fed free choice alfalfa/grass hay that has 10-12% protein. I feed omelene 300 to them as well. I can't remember exactly what the percent of protein is for that..14 or 16. As yearlings they are very mature, filled out all around but not fat (well maybe just a little
default_smile.png
)

If you have good hay, 14% should be sufficient. Also make sure they are getting enough calcium for their growing bones! People forget about all the other stuff-if they don't have a well rounded diet, they will have a lower immune system which makes them more vulnerable to parasites and illnesses and they won't be able to utilize nutrients/vitamins the way that they normally would.

Here is a GREAT article about protein in an equine's diet-just part. I will post the link for anyone who would like to read it all. PROTEIN ARTICLE

Protein, Praises and Woes

~ by Gretchen Topel, Equine Nutritional System

Protein is absolutely necessary for the body to survive, but an overload of protein will break down the tissues, organs, and structure of the body over time. Additionally, a horse that consumes too much protein will be at an even greater risk of contracting diseases and be predisposed to other symptoms such as hypothyroidism, tying up, kidney problems, and arthritis to name a few.

Without proteins, DNA, enzymes, and hormones would not exist as these substances are primarily composed of proteins. Imagine how out of balance a horse's body would be if they did not have enough protein! Some horses, but very few, do suffer from too little protein in the diet, but mostly, I find that if a horse is a having a severe issue, they are presently consuming too much protein in the form of alfalfa and/or a high protein grain formulation.

What is the ideal balance of protein in a horse's diet?

No mammal should consume more protein than what was available from his or her mother's milk. Mare's milk is 12% protein. Colostrum is higher in protein, around 18%, but drops to 12% for the duration of lactation. When the protein level of the total ration is increased beyond 12%, the body becomes what is termed "over-acid". What this means is upon digestion, feed is either acid forming or alkalizing to the system. For example, alfalfa is acid forming, most grass hays are alkalizing, apple cider vinegar is an acid yet upon digestion leaves an alkaline residue, grains are acid forming as well, and fats and minerals are alkalizing. As I have written in the past articles, balance is always the key. The same goes for balancing protein in the horse's diet.

When the diet exceeds 12% total protein, the body has several buffering mechanisms available to offset the deleterious effect of over-acid. Because the heart will not even beat in an over-acid body and the organs must be bathed in an alkaline medium, it is a top priority to keep the body alkaline (apart from the stomach acid). Here is a breakdown of the buffering mechanisms:

1. Because minerals are alkalizing, if minerals are not readily available in the blood stream, the body will pull the minerals from the bones, ligaments, and tendons to buffer the acid.

2. The body will retain water to dilute the acid, thus the horse can be mistaken for being in "good flesh". Once the high protein feed is taken away, the horses will literally urinate themselves thin in a few days to a couple of weeks! They are not losing lean muscle tissue, they are losing the retained water.

I have tried everything under the sun and always come back to Strategy - its great. I am careful when feeding it to weanlings / yearling as I dont want them to get "thick"..but I want them to get smooth and in condition. Its done wonders for a weanling colt I brought home recently off from pasture after some worming...

Its not a good feed for super easy keepers, my foundation gelding looks like a balloon right now and he doesnt even get a handful, I just give him enough so he doesn't feel left out when I am graining.

I've tried Omolene and it comes in a close second, but i've never been able to get the results with it that I get with Strategy. Plus, Strategys price tag is much better, as well is the feed tag........

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed a 16% Growth formula feed made by Progressive Nutrition. I start my mares on it late term pregnancy and keep the foals on it through their weanling, yearling and 2 yr old years. I've had very good luck feeding this way.

We fed Joker and Charlie 16% protein it is "Masterfeeds Equine Developer" I LOVE it for young horses it is so awesome as apposed to Purina Juvenile .. I just saw alot more I liked when we started feeding that charlie got his topline and filled out much better
default_yes.gif
He really didn't look weedy after 2 months of being on it!

We fed Joker and Charlie 16% protein it is "Masterfeeds Equine Developer" I LOVE it for young horses it is so awesome as apposed to Purina Juvenile .. I just saw alot more I liked when we started feeding that charlie got his topline and filled out much better
yes.gif
He really didn't look weedy after 2 months of being on it!

How much of it would you feed a day?

Great information! Ohmt, lots of info, thanks.

My little one is currently on mostly 14% grain as I said. This feed is very compairable to Strategy in feed values(Main difference is my feed is higher in fiber), however our feed is the Canadian Purina Senior!
default_new_shocked.gif
This is what the previous owner had her on, and I feel that she is looking great on this diet... What bothers me is that a senior feed isn't likely to give her all the important nutrients that her growing bones and joins will need. Due to this factor, I have been looking at another feed to change her to.

I have a bag of Canadian Purina Juvenile(Jr.) at home that I have been slowly adding to her diet. I have had three other weanling to two year olds on this feed in the past, and I have never liked the results of this feed when fed to miniatures. Mine always get heavier on this feed over any other. I also find they get sluggish. Just not a feed I have liked the results of - I agree with Devon!

I have been wondering if moving to the 16% is best - which it sounds like it is. I am troubled as I like the results of the senior feed. I can not get Strategy here in Canada, but the Canadian Purina senior feed is very similar - yet something tells me I should not be giving my young horse senior feed. I like a good performance horse, thus strong bones and joints are important to me.

Devon, I will look into Masterfeeds Equine Developer, however all 4 local dealers only sell Purina. There is one feed store that is a bit out of the way and they might have carry the Masterfeed brand.

Feeding is an art!

Thanks again. More thoughts are welcome.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question is in portions, even though every person has their own story. I try to keep my grain intake high, but my guys to get chubby if they are not worked regularly.

The young one is getting 2 Liters of feed daily. One liter at each feeding. She is getting mostly Senior but a cup of Juvenile is in there as well. She also gets beet pulp and hay. Her breeder fed her twice as much grain, but it really seems like a lot to us. Not truly confident if 2L is appropriate for a 32" 8 month old.

I've fed my lactating mares & foals/yearlings Purina's Ultium Growth this year - it's a new feed, 15.5%. They also get primarily coastal hay with a bit of alfalfa.

Jan

Latest posts

Back