Best foal supplement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmhstacy

Reaction score
I have a foal that needs supplementing.

Can anyone recommend the best brand etc... of milk supplement for a foal?

The foal is 5 hours old has had a bit of colstrum.

The dam is a very old mare that I did not know was pregnant. She has been on adlib hand feeding but despite this she is a bag of bones. She has no milk & the foal has drank all the colstrum and she does not seem to be making anymore.

I will leave the foal on her incase she does make some. But I know I need to supplement the foal in the meantime.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stacy

There's a supplement called Mares Match Milk replacer that's really good, but not very easy to find in this area (Southeast); so our foal was started on it at the hospital, but switched to Foal Lac powder when she came home. She's done exceptionally well on it.

Best of luck....
smile.gif

I have used the foal Lac powder with success. IF you need something right away and it sounds like you do. Try using some goat milk.

Robin

Disclaimer: The opinions posted above are the persons "opinions" only. I am NOT a vet and don't claim to be. The advice above is strictly from my own experience and should be taken that way. This in not the opinion of Lil beginnings or anybody connected to Lil beginnings. I am NOT stating that the product, named above, guarantee's anything. I am only giving my own experience
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to need an Ig test to make sure that the foal has had enough colostrum- I have a sneaky feeling all the foal has had is goop that is in the bag of an old mare anyway!! I would at least ask the Vet, even if you do not actually need a call out- the other thing is, of course, your Vet may have supplies at the clinic (mine never does!!) I would feed the baby, but not too well or it will not try to nurse and there is still every chance the milk will come through- how old is this foal??

[SIZE=8pt]These opinions are my opinions- if you do not like it....SUE ME
smile.gif
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The foal is no 10 hours old. For the last 4 hours I have been feeding it with colostrum which I got from the vets (milked from a mare who lost her foal 3 weeks ago (frozen)). I only have enough to last till tomorrow so will see what supplement we have available.

Its good to know what other people have had success with.

2 years ago we had one we fed it diveclite (i think thats how it is spelled) we lost that foal at 2 weeks of age.

Latest posts

Back